Nice car but...
By oak6 on
2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
Just returned this car off lease at 30k. The deal was too good to pass up: $199/mo. Reliability was excellent: no issues. I went through 3 Syracuse winters on M+S tires with no driving problems. That said, I was happy to be rid of the car. Engine noise is excessive and there is annoying vibration at over 2500rpm. Highway speed in 5th gear is about 2700rpm; get the picture? I test drove other Subes and all had the same issue. The boxers in the engine really go at it at high rpm. This car will accelerate briskly but that means high rpm. Who needs the beating. Great car at 200rpm which means 45mph. Homely. 27-30mpg (70% highway) duration of my ownership
Favorite Features
Ran 30k with only routine maintenance. Smooth transmission. Comfortable front seating. Satisfactory A to B car in a snowy climate. (Probably the important factors for the Sube love crowd.)
Suggested Improvements
Needs much better engine vibration control over 2500rpm. Noisy at highway speeds. Limited fun to drive factor. Trunk lid closing arms intrude into the trunk: great for crushing items. I have always heard that people either love or hate Subarus. You may put two check marks in the "Hate" column.