2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual w/VDC Consumer Review - Didn't look twice @ Subaru

2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

WRX STI 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual w/VDC)

Didn't look twice @ Subaru until now
By Subie 4 Life on

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a 2nd review nearly 1.5 years after initial. I changed the performance rating to an 8, prev. was 10. The ECU Map seemed a bit hiccupy. Peaks and valleys thr/out the power band. Subaru recalled for ECU issues. Reflashed the ECU and it helped, however not as it should. I have since "tuned" the car w/ aftermarket mapping and parts. Power output is about 350 hp and 380 tq. Very smooth and usable power now. I lowered the exterior rating because of the tail lights. They really bother me! The front grille is out of place too. Nav system is still clumsy to operate and not very accurate. I have gotten used to the lack of amenities. Still smitten by a true 4 season perf. car.

Favorite Features

Performance whether factory or tuned. Power potential. Tons of aftermarket parts/support. AWD is absolutely amazing in the snow/ice. Handling. Usable interior space. Simple dummy proof controls (Exc. Nav). Very robust car that eats bad roads like candy. True 4 season performance daily driver.

Suggested Improvements

Fine tune the ECU. Subaru, dump the NAV! It stinks! Improve the sound system. Improve the HID projection, they don't illuminate far/high enough. Has been dangerous on dark roads. Heated mirrors standard. PERIOD! Most have been cosmetic but the headlights, I think, are the only big issue.