Affordable, fun, safe, & reliable
By zlguocius on
2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)
I'm the face of the "new" Impreza owner: a regular Joe, not a rally-race-enthusiast. I had my last car for ~10 years, & I hope to keep this one even longer. I don't care what the fascia looks like, so long as it's not hideous, & I'm not impressed with faux luxury touches on the inside, like aluminum trim or cow-hide. I want a practical but fun car, on a budget. Scooby-Rex fits that bill perfectly. It has been incredibly fun to drive, lots of power even below 3K rpm, handles like a dream, satisfying engine growl yet reasonably low road noise, and the sport-shift automatic is the best of both worlds. My biggest complaint is 18mpg in mixed driving, and the related 4-spd transmission.
Favorite Features
AWD, electronic stability control (which can be toggled off), hatch with fold-flat rear seats, reliability, sport-shift automatic (best of both worlds).
Suggested Improvements
5-speed automatic transmission, better mileage (~18.0 mpg in ~650 miles of mixed driving), power front seats with memory, narrower front seats (too fat for me, at BMI ~24), mechanical hatch (operable without battery power), fold-flat front passenger seat.