Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

No real complaints
By NJ Owner

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Owned since 03/08 and have 11k miles on it. MPG is good, averaging about 27 with high of 31.5 on highway trip. I should have gotten the 5M instead of the 4A. I just don't like the automatic transmission. The black paint seems to scratch very easily, especially from fingernails around the door handles. I wish the hatch area was a little bit bigger. It looks adequate empty, but fills up real quickly. Can't wait to drive it in the snow, that's why I bought it. I am hoping I can get away with the stock tires, but will use snow tires if need be. I am 6 foot 1, 185 lbs and find the driver's seat comfortable and roomy.

AWD, smooth ride, roomy interior(except for hatch space), looks, gas mileage, premium sound system, expected reliability,

Better automatic transmission, sunroof, more seat adjustments/passenger side.

Better then my BMW
By pennfootball71

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Sat Radio, Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I traded in a 2001 BMW 330Ci Convertible for this machine. The Subaru has a better ride, handles better, has better room and comfort and even has a CD player my BMW was sans of. Higher RPMs the engine was getting tired so I added a Subaru Performance Tuning Exhaust and a K&N air filter that did the trick and it pulls hard all the way to redline now with no flat spots like before. Short throw shifter took away "notchyness" as well as a more comfortable MOMO shift knob. I have 3000 miles on the car and it is a dream to drive, and has a great ride. If you need something more hardcore buy an STI or the 09 WRX next year if you must have gumball tires that last 20 minutes!

All Wheel Drive, animal turbocharger, better then my old BMW more reliable too. Nav system is wonderful, brakes are good, tires work in snow.

Lighter clutch, height adjustment for passenger seats, weird stereo static gremlin needs to die because it pops up once in a while.

WOW! A Hidden Gem Among "Small" Cars
By JGray

We just purchased our Outback Sport hatchback in silver last week. We already have 640 miles from taking rides while being amazed at the gas mileage. Sticker indicates 20/27 city/hwy. We are getting 24-25 city and 33 on the highway. I am 6'4" and feel very comfortable in this car. We bought this car to replace our Mini Cooper and couldn't be happier. It is extremely sporty, rides very nice, handles excellent, has plenty of power, plenty of cargo and passenger capacity, and did I say sporty? This car is the only small car to receive the rigid IIHS (Insurance Institute of Highway Safety) top 2008 pick safety rating. The Subaru Outback Sport is truly the "hidden gem" of small cars.

Sporty, comfort, ride, gas mileage, all wheel drive, cargo/passenger capacity, handling, reliability, heated seats, mirrors, and windshield wiper area, dual tone silver paint, modern tail lights, night time red dash coloration. Auto dimming mirror.

Height adjustment for passenger side seat. Telescoping wheel.

Plush, but cool.
By Luv2drive

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car for my wife to drive, but I like it a lot, too. Its interior and exterior styling are cool and futuristic. (I even like the weird LED tail lights!) The upgraded stereo rocks, but I would rather listen to the unique sounding boxer engine. That engine is a little different than an inline 4. It produces punchy low end torque, but levels off the higher you rev. There's really no point in revving it over 3500 rpm! The slick shifter, loose clutch, and peppy engine make it ridiculously easy to drive. It's obvious that Subaru focused on utility and comfort for this model, at the sacrifice of agility and handling, but the full time all wheel drive rules!

Sound and feel of the boxer engine, unique appearance, ride quality, affordable all wheel drive.

Cornering ability is disappointing, fuel economy is so-so. Some people might find the front seat too cramped.

Great New Car - Body Rust after 7 Months
By cm236

I purchased a new Impreza last November, this is the Canadian Sports Model (similar to the US sold "2.5i with Premium Package, VDC". A great car to drive, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a severe winter that had snow on the ground over a 6 month period - and this is definitely a fantastic car for these conditions. Only negative was when I noticed rust on the rear panel (around the license plate) in a number of spots in June. The dealer has been very helpful and concurred that yes, this is rust, and this should not happen.

Heated seats, front windshield wiper defrosters, fabulous sound system, smooth ride and acceleration. A fun car.

Seats are too low, and there are people with back problems who have had trouble with the seats. Add a lumbar support option / better seats, and the ability to raise the passenger seat in addition to the drivers seat.