Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Overall not too bad of a car
By llkdd8

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have had car for over a year now with 30k miles. I like it with no major complaints, just minor ones. Handling is a little soft, but it gives a very nice ride. After driving manual for 18 years, I feel the 4spd Auto Trans is very weak. Should have gone with the 5M, I really miss it. That is my mistake. I have a black two tone and the paint scratches very, very easily, more so than any car I have ever had. AWD is great, and the VDC is really cool. Next year snow tires will go on, which should really improve the AWD. Even with AWD, 17 inch, wide, low profile tires, aren't the best in the snow. After 30k miles, averaging about 27mpg in all sorts of driving.

AWD of course. Nice gas mileage. Very roomy inside (except for hatch with all seats up), with nice head room. Looks great except from directly behind (not a big fan of the clear rear lights). So far very dependable, no issues at all. Lots of features for 20k.

Stiffer suspension. Better paint quality. Don't look at it the wrong way you might scratch it. Improved premium sound system. More modern 5spd auto trans. Firmer seats with adjustable lumbar support. Do it yourself mechanics will appreciate this one, better location for the oil filter. Ouch!

Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing
By Oliverzilla

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Gold BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a car that was a great performing sports car, fun to drive, good daily driver, 4 doors, could be used to get groceries, and did not scream ‘sports car’. I found the perfect combination with the my black 2008 WRX STI with silver BBS wheels. This car just rocks. Here are the things that I like best about this car: 1. The ability to tune the car between ‘intelligent’ for daily driving and sport and serious fun with Sport # -- nothing like it on the market. 2. The ability to change the differential for power to the front and rear wheels - tons of options, tons of power, this car moves! 3. The clean simple design of the interior - very nice but not complicated and overdone.

The breaks... they are wonderful.

No automatic driver’s seat. The stereo is very good but could be better for the money. Floor mats, are a little ‘cheap’ in the material.

Go Elsewhere
By Michael

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Sat Radio, Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car now for a little over a year and I can honestly say that it ranks quite high on the list of worst cars I've ever driven. Horrible visibility, especially at night, you can't see anything because of the position of the pillars and the size of the mirrors. Painfully weak and horrendously thirsty engine, you'll be lucky to get 22/23mpg on the highway, driving in cruise control at 65. Quality of materials inside is absolutely appalling, cheap plastics all around! Clutch pedal has no precision making it difficult to drive smoothly. The Navigation system is overpriced for what you get, and no built-in blue tooth. The seats though, make me cringe every time I have to drive.

External styling is quite good and the car does look nice.

Seat quality, very uncomfortable especially for drives longer than an hour or so. Engine power, stability, steering precision, steering response. Better quality materials and plastics inside. Improve build quality so that random "warning" lights don't turn on that are just "loose" connections.

Wife's Car
By Kevin

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I know what I have to say sounds a lot like nit picking. However If you are going to lay out 19k on a car you should know a few things. Over all it really is a good little car. However to make it a great car you are going to need to do some work.

24 mpg city/highway. Four wheel drive. Good visibility looking out all windows. Wife loves the car.

Needs better: tires, paint, suspension, window sun block, bigger rear view mirrors, sun visor is horrible, a real service manual, bigger controls on stereo, gas cap on left side of car, a real coolant temp gauge.

Worst Car I've Ever Purchased
By emanpa68

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Sat Radio, Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Words cannot explain how bad my Subaru Impreza has been. The dealership sold me the car with a dirty interior, and damage to paint on the doors. I was told this was to be fixed by a painter, but even he agreed that the paint was too far beyond repair for a minor touch-up. Needless to say I'm going to have to sue the dealership and have them investigated for fraud if this isn't fixed. Thanks for Subaru for not standing behind your cars at all. I feel bad for anyone who is going through the same problems with this company since there is a known paint problem with the 2008 Imprezas.

I would say the floor mats, but they are falling apart... so I guess the seats are my favorite.

Use better paint.