Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Most Helpful|
A pretty gas guzzler!
By SK4417

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Nav, Gold BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got this vehicle based on the Subaru reputation for safety and reliability. It's safe, alright, but it has been a money pit for me maintenance and fuel- wise. I commute 90 miles a day, and I average 23-25 MPH on the highway. And, hope you never have to replace a tire-- due to the AWD you'll need to replace all four. It looks pretty standing, but is a gas guzzler! I won't buy another one or recommend it.

Favorite Features

Appearance, Handling

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Economy!

Not worth the money
By Carmen

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Way too much money for what you get. I paid $34,000 for my 2008 STI and it started to wear, rattle, and the is so cheaply done that it scratches easily and flakes off. The car is fast but is very hard to get it to drive smoothly. It jerks with the smallest of gas and throttle inputs. The utility of the hatch is great and its very fast. I averaged about 17 mpg and that should be against the law in a 4 cylinder car. The seats are cheap and offer no support. I have been in $18,000 cars with better sport seats.

Favorite Features

1. Speed the car is fast. 2. Utility of a hatch 3. Styling

Suggested Improvements

Subaru needs to use better paint. The interior ages quickly and the shiny parts scratch and flake. The seats need to be bolstered and of a higher quality. Get rid of the rattles it rattles in the front, sides, and back. Use direct injection for better gas mileage.

Worst Car I've Ever Purchased
By emanpa68

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Sat Radio, Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Words cannot explain how bad my Subaru Impreza has been. The dealership sold me the car with a dirty interior, and damage to paint on the doors. I was told this was to be fixed by a painter, but even he agreed that the paint was too far beyond repair for a minor touch-up. Needless to say I'm going to have to sue the dealership and have them investigated for fraud if this isn't fixed. Thanks for Subaru for not standing behind your cars at all. I feel bad for anyone who is going through the same problems with this company since there is a known paint problem with the 2008 Imprezas.

Favorite Features

I would say the floor mats, but they are falling apart... so I guess the seats are my favorite.

Suggested Improvements

Use better paint.

A car thats Bought with Good Intentions
By Trutsayer

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2004 and had to replace it after I was hit and just not thinking got another hoping it was better as it changed---it didn't, it was NOT better. It gets just pathetic gas mileage to the point where I chatted with other owners that were sure that something was wrong as the mileage was so bad! Then the fantasy.ITs a car that you buy based on the fantasy that you will be 4 wheeling all over the place and plowing through 4 ft snow drifts and lake sized puddles. Reality= trip to grocery / gas station . Not much "fun' to drive . Its not quick and peppy as the 4wd has its drawbacks . Then at high speeds when passing it would lunge in 3rd to 4th and make aloud CLUCK* sound both years. let-down

Favorite Features

Looks Good standing still. Handsome rims and restyle. easy to sell to another pigeon

Suggested Improvements

Better Gas mileage, Needs more power - Subaru so embarrassed by 0-60 time its listed NOWHERE! Flat handling feedback and the 4wd doesn't seem to add to the ability to go thru the slalom , the 18 Mazda 3 smokes it in every category? Why it's only 2wd isn't 4wd better --well that's what they sell you!

Passenger Airbag concerns
By SBNP

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I recently brought the car in for some warranty issues as well as a software recall on the ECU. I mentioned to the advisor that when my spouse or 13 yr. daughter sit in the passenger seat, the airbag off light illuminates. They assured me everything was fine and that I could have them take off of school and work to come in and they would teach them how to sit correctly. With some persistence the dealer called me back and confirmed that they cannot get the light to say on with ~105-129lbs. on a brand new STI. The NHTSA says that they never tested that car. SOA told me they did, but it turns out the base Impreza was. Either way, SOA said they will not change anything.

Favorite Features

The AWD is great. Steering wheel has a good feel. Back seats fold down-this was an EVO deal breaker for me. Car's looks!

Suggested Improvements

Fix air bag issue, ipod adapted is unreachable by driver and flat out stinks. Mine hasn't worked since day one. Seat have way too much lateral movement. Stereo is terrible. 0-60 requires 2 shifts??? No heated mirrors for a $33k+ car.