Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Most Helpful|
My first Subaru
By RT

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

All the reviews about paint problems are true. I bought this car 9 months ago and can't believe how fragile the paint is. I've only got 6,000 miles on the car and it looks like there's 4 years of abrasion on the rear qtr panels. Severe chips on the hood and front of the vehicle. Hopefully Subaru officials read these reviews and do something because they're losing customers. This was my first and believe me last Subaru. Unless you want to pay for a total repaint every 3 years stay away from this car. Other Subaru models have the same problem. Oh and do something about the ridiculously low passenger seat and what's with the holes in the front bumper?? Not all states have front license plates!

Favorite Features

I like the styling, everything else is average or below.

Suggested Improvements

Put a 5 speed transmission in the car, the 4 speed is totally inadequate. Improve the quality of your paint. Do away with the clown height passenger seat. Stop putting the unsightly holes in the front bumper and do away with the red instrument lighting, it's awful!

Great overall car for the money.
By ahowell

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've driven a lot of cars, this particular one has me hooked on Subarus. In general it has a lot of torque and it puts you in your seat very well. The overall build and design is not bad, other than no forethought on where to put aftermarket gauges (boost, wide band,..) The paint takes a lot of TLC to keep it looking new, not too much but more than most. The suspension is wonderful for normal day to day driving but taking a turn it could be a little better.

Favorite Features

Turbo, Seats, Hood Design

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer suspension, more finished paint job, a place to either put aftermarket gauges or include oil pressure boost and wide band considering they will help keep the turbo in check. A little bit more aggressive style wouldn't hurt.

A car thats Bought with Good Intentions
By Trutsayer

I had a 2004 and had to replace it after I was hit and just not thinking got another hoping it was better as it changed---it didn't, it was NOT better. It gets just pathetic gas mileage to the point where I chatted with other owners that were sure that something was wrong as the mileage was so bad! Then the fantasy.ITs a car that you buy based on the fantasy that you will be 4 wheeling all over the place and plowing through 4 ft snow drifts and lake sized puddles. Reality= trip to grocery / gas station . Not much "fun' to drive . Its not quick and peppy as the 4wd has its drawbacks . Then at high speeds when passing it would lunge in 3rd to 4th and make aloud CLUCK* sound both years. let-down

Favorite Features

Looks Good standing still. Handsome rims and restyle. easy to sell to another pigeon

Suggested Improvements

Better Gas mileage, Needs more power - Subaru so embarrassed by 0-60 time its listed NOWHERE! Flat handling feedback and the 4wd doesn't seem to add to the ability to go thru the slalom , the 18 Mazda 3 smokes it in every category? Why it's only 2wd isn't 4wd better --well that's what they sell you!

Lots of Fun for the Money
By David

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for a bit over a year. I bought it as a second car, but with the lease ending on my primary vehicle (Infiniti M35x), this little Subaru Impreza has become my primary vehicle. I must say, I really love this little guy. I was originally drawn to the exterior and the interior design (beautiful), but really fell in love with how it drives. It's great fun. My usual tastes for higher-end cars are turned upside down with this Impreza. I just don't see a reason to upgrade and spend the extra $$$ at this time.

Favorite Features

The interior design is untouched in this class of vehicle (sub $20k). It is really beautiful.

Suggested Improvements

I purchased the XM radio module and the subwoofer speaker (fits under the seat.) The dealer installed them and it has really improved the otherwise dismal audio system. I suggest the same to anyone.

Surprisingly fun
By bloovis

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car replaced a beloved 2001 VW Golf GLS 1.8t. I was hoping to find something as fun and comfortable as the VW, but with AWD to get me up our steep Vermont hills in winter in the places where the VW failed to make progress. The Outback Sport has turned out to be much more entertaining than I expected. It doesn't have quite the zip of the VW turbo, but it's plenty fast. The biggest surprise was the excellent steering and handling: quite an improvement over the somewhat squishy VW. The next biggest surprise was the fuel economy; I'm getting 28 on average, and as high as 32 on some off-freeway road trips.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling, fairly responsive engine, AWD, decent fuel economy, heated seats, good legroom for tall driver.

Suggested Improvements

As others have noted, the passenger seat is a bit low. I also miss the telescoping steering wheel and sunroof of my old VW. The VW also had galvanized steel body panels, so I'm sure the Subaru will rust out sooner. The external styling isn't quite as clean as the VW, but it's an improvement over the previous generation of Impreza. However, all of this is nitpicking since this generation is due to be replaced in a few months.