Used 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Too many RATTLES
By Subie

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

New 2008 STi is unquestionably a blast to drive, and I actually prefer the new, toned-down body style. That said, I'm finding it a difficult daily driver. Not because of the transmission (clunky) or the gas mileage (mediocre), but because the car rattles so, so, so much. I've only owned it for a few months, and it is barely out of its break-in period. But it seems like every time I get in the car, it has developed a new interior rattle. No use turning to dealerships for help, in my experience, as they either fail to fix the problem, or claim to be unable to replicate it. Just how high do you have to turn the stereo and a/c to drown out all those rattles, boys?

Favorite Features

Sweet new looks, hatchback utility, great seats.

Suggested Improvements

Interior build quality is a step back from previous Subarus. Car rattles incessantly. Sad to say this may be my last STi.

2008 Subaru WRX STi vs. 2008 Mitsu Evo
By Perry1

After reading extensive reviews and test driving both the 2008 STI and the new Evo, I purchased the STI. Evo is more boy racer vs. STi's maturity. The STi is a pleasure to drive. The seats are more comfortable than the Evo's for longer distance driving. STi also has 3 different driving modes depending on what type of driving you want to do - Intelligent/everyday vs. Sport vs. Sport Sharp, a cutting edge racing type driving mode that gobbles up a tank of 93 octane like nobody's business! The Sport Sharp mode is like flipping a nitrous switch and boosts the already awesome acceleration over 3500 rpm. I actually have the little woman thinking that my, sorry, "our" new STI is a great family car!

Favorite Features

Performance, truly a pleasure to drive, exhaust note, practicality, cargo space. The styling is also great, and I get a lot of thumbs up from people checking the car out. Interior has a nice fit & finish too, unlike Evo's heavily plastic interior. This is an awesome year round sports car.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I can think of would be if the car were cheaper, but Subaru already got my money, so what good will it do me?

Simply said... "amazing"
By AWSTi

I have an Aspen White 08 beast. It is simply thrilling!. Safety of AWD, performance of a Porsche killer, comfortable and satisfying as a daily driver thrill giver!

Favorite Features

0-60 in 4.5 seconds, spooling of the turbo, hatchback functionality, great interior, family friendly, beautiful 5 spoke wheel

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest needs improvement

Performance w/ Comfort
By dgribble

Previously owned an 05 STI. This 08 is worlds above the old STI. It's more comfortable and waay more quiet. The power delivery is more linear, which makes it seem like it's not faster than previous version but speedometer says otherwise :-) The suspension offers no shock to the kidneys over bumps while retaining the ability to take corners at much higher speeds than the old versions. I love that the car looks more aggressive but does not grab the attention like the old versions with the big wing. Sleeper look.

Favorite Features

The wide body look, fender flares look awesome. Hatchback utility. Smooth suspension. Interior materials are Major upgrades over previous STIs. 20 MPG avg. is pretty good for a 300HP, AWD car. Sound of boxer engine and exhaust seems more aggressive and sweeter sounding than my old 05 STI.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of those ugly clear taillights! Bring those Recaro seats! The SI Drive is pointless. I mode doesn't save me any more gas than S# mode.