Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Not quite there
By Mide

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

On paper the car has everything a person needs, but in reality it is lacking at a few areas. First off the 4-speed auto is bad. It is in dire need of 1 more gear. You have to put it into 2nd in order to have any sort of acceleration. Next is the paint quality. It really sucks. There are chips everywhere. Lastly is build quality. The steering-wheel control of the audio system barely works and I have to press very hard to get it to function. Because it still "works" the dealership won't fix the problem. Because of this, it will be the last Subaru I ever purchase. If I could do it again I would not purchase this car.

Everything you need on paper

Fix the horrible 4-speed and the fact that there is a 2 second delay if you floor the gas pedal for a quick acceleration. Get a better paint job service to do the work. MPG is still hovering around 24-26 mixed driving, a little better would not hurt.

Great overall car for the money.
By ahowell

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've driven a lot of cars, this particular one has me hooked on Subarus. In general it has a lot of torque and it puts you in your seat very well. The overall build and design is not bad, other than no forethought on where to put aftermarket gauges (boost, wide band,..) The paint takes a lot of TLC to keep it looking new, not too much but more than most. The suspension is wonderful for normal day to day driving but taking a turn it could be a little better.

Turbo, Seats, Hood Design

Stiffer suspension, more finished paint job, a place to either put aftermarket gauges or include oil pressure boost and wide band considering they will help keep the turbo in check. A little bit more aggressive style wouldn't hurt.

Great Little Car
By NigelPV2

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is truly a great car. It is versatile, safe, reliable, and fun to drive. With 44.4 cu/ft of cargo space, 60/40 fold-flat seats, the car can handle anything I throw at it. With the car's AWD system and 6 standard air bags it offer's a level of confidence on the road unlike any of the other cars I test drove. Lastly, Subaru has found a great balance between ride and handling. The car rides completely different then it's predecessor with a subtle ride, yet still contains the prowess to be tossed into a turn. The car is not without it's faults, though, as the hard plastic that completely covers the interior and tires seem to amplify the little road noise that find their way into the cabin.

AWD, Comfortable Seats, Usability, Balance Between Handling Capabilities and Comfortable Ride, Reliability, Subtle Styling, Standard Safety Features, Quite Interior (Especially When Compared To Previous Models), Roomy Interior, and L.E.D Tail Lights

Hard Plastic Interior, Sound System (It's ok but could be better), Rear Drum Brakes (There strong but I would have preferred rear disc), Black Door Handles and Side Mirrors, and Noisy Tires Over Rough Surfaces Disturb An Otherwise Peaceful and Quiet Ride.

Great car for the money
By Mich Dave

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Outback for 34000 miles and I'm very, very happy with the purchase. Better than expected mpg's-- 25/30 and better performance than I thought I'd get from the 170 hp. This is my first Subaru, but certainly not my last. If at all possible go with the 5 speed--better performance and much better mpg's than the 4 speed auto. All I've done so far is change the oil. The only downside would be the paint and the radio. They should be able to do much better in the radio despite the low price of the car. I'm glad I went Subi instead of the Mazda 3--especially when there is snow on the ground.

I really like the mpg's for an AWD car. The handling isn't bad for a raised chassis and the 170 hp isn't as sluggish as anticipated. Exterior styling is much better than the competition out there. I like the heated windshield and heated seats-- nice touch for an entry level car.

Need to improve paint quality--chips easily. The stereo is very poor.

It's a great car.
By RAS3

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my WRX 5 dr for 2 years now; 22k miles @ 24.5 avg mileage. I wrote a review on 11/23/07 and what I wrote then still holds. On top of that, I believe that the Subaru AWD system is superior to my Audi's, even w the performance tires on it. I've been the only one to make it up our hill several times over the past two winters (on ice), passing sport utes of all types splayed across lawns and shoulders. I've also had no problem following large Mercs at high speed on interstates - slowing only when my senses returned and the realization that a large fine would be very painful to me. It's a great car.

AWD, interior space, and... the motor.

lag between accelerator and clutch, and a bit more sound dampening (but, hey, I'm an old guy...)