2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
The Good and The Bad
By John on 11/07/09 18:58 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Being that it has turbo, the WRX is a blast to drive in a straight line. Add corners to the equation and you'd better hang on to the handles if you have the 08. Don't worry, they added sway bars to the 09 WRX because of the problem. They also added significantly more horsepower to the 09 WRX. I feel ripped off that these fixes didn't come with the original 08 WRX model.

My 5th Subaru--And Not My Last
By ccarbone22 on 09/09/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Impreza in March 2008. This is my 5th Subaru, and I'm a big fan. So far over 15,000 miles, not one single problem. The 2.5L engine is great, and the car handles quiet well. Lots of cargo room with the rear seats down, and the optional roof rails and cargo carrier are helpful too. AWD is great, and over the 15K miles, I've gotten 26 MPG overall-- which I think is really good considering the AWD and larger 4-cyl engine. The wagon (yes, it's a wagon, not a hatchback!) looks great-the sedan is kinda boring. Interior design is nice, and the materials are an improvement over past Imprezas. Looking forward to many years and miles with this car!

Star On ICE!
By Carlos on 09/01/09 07:09 AM (PDT)

Greetings! Winter of 2009 my wife and I drove on I-40 somewhere in Oklahoma and the road was coated with snow turned to ICE... it was around midnight and we were the only ones driving on I-40 at about 40-50 mph. All Semi- Truck/cars, etc. stuck along the side of the interstate due to the road condition, but our 2008 2.5i Impreza 5door kept going. The car took control whenever it sensed a "side-way" skid. The 2008 2.5i Impreza 5 door handled perfectly well on the snow & ice coated I-40 interstate...

Subaru: Always a Great Purchase!
By Jason on 07/27/09 13:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Subaru: 04 WRX (wish I never sold it!), 07 Forester XS, and this car. I'm driving 45,000 miles a year (crazy!) and averaging 30 MPG at usually 70-75 MPH, which is beyond the EPA reading! Cruise control is my friend. Can't beat the AWD in any weather. I HIGHLY recommend any Subaru model to anyone looking for a vehicle. No issues whatsoever with this car. -- If you're car shopping, just take a moment to drive some Subaru's, especially in a downpour or bad weather... I bet you'll be amazed! For comparison, do the same with other brands. This is when you'll notice more about the true feel of a vehicle versus a bright, dry, sunny day.

My first Subaru
By RT on 07/18/09 07:45 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

All the reviews about paint problems are true. I bought this car 9 months ago and can't believe how fragile the paint is. I've only got 6,000 miles on the car and it looks like there's 4 years of abrasion on the rear qtr panels. Severe chips on the hood and front of the vehicle. Hopefully Subaru officials read these reviews and do something because they're losing customers. This was my first and believe me last Subaru. Unless you want to pay for a total repaint every 3 years stay away from this car. Other Subaru models have the same problem. Oh and do something about the ridiculously low passenger seat and what's with the holes in the front bumper?? Not all states have front license plates!

Cheap AWD Safety, Small Family Car
By Third Subaru on 07/04/09 22:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Biggest complaint: rear drum brakes! We don't drive too many miles but we do have to deal with snow. This model is underpowered and boring to drive, but it gets you to your destination safely and reliably in northern winters. We have averaged 23.5 mpg and have had zero maintenance issues. The interior is cheap but well put together and functional. The rear hatch is poorly designed, when you shut it you either push too light and doesn't latch or push too hard and it rubs the bumper. I am not happy with the amount of rust developing in the suspension, and may take it in to complain about that. The paint looks great but it chips and scratches very easily.

Overall not too bad of a car
By llkdd8 on 06/04/09 09:22 AM (PDT)

Have had car for over a year now with 30k miles. I like it with no major complaints, just minor ones. Handling is a little soft, but it gives a very nice ride. After driving manual for 18 years, I feel the 4spd Auto Trans is very weak. Should have gone with the 5M, I really miss it. That is my mistake. I have a black two tone and the paint scratches very, very easily, more so than any car I have ever had. AWD is great, and the VDC is really cool. Next year snow tires will go on, which should really improve the AWD. Even with AWD, 17 inch, wide, low profile tires, aren't the best in the snow. After 30k miles, averaging about 27mpg in all sorts of driving.

Wife's Car
By Kevin on 05/11/09 15:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I know what I have to say sounds a lot like nit picking. However If you are going to lay out 19k on a car you should know a few things. Over all it really is a good little car. However to make it a great car you are going to need to do some work.

Impressed with Impreza
By bakerlexky on 05/05/09 16:46 PM (PDT)

Subaru has won me over! I build the best selling import in the US and it doesn't have anything on Subaru's!! This car drives great. Excellent performance in all driving conditions. Gets 29 mpg HWY and 20 mpg city, averages 24.9 in the summer and 23.5 in the winter, great numbers for AWD. So far I've got 16600 miles with absolutely no problems. All I've done is changed the oil and rotated the tires. Quality of the build is A-1. Watch out Toyota! No wonder Subaru was one of only two manufacturers reporting sales increases for 2008!!! Buy one you'll love it!

Best 1st Car
By 917shadowfax on 04/28/09 03:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Hands down I think this is the best first car a teen could have. I love it. Having been in search of a car and having saved $10k for a car, I wanted to make sure I was getting a quality build, reliable, fun, usable, and most of all SAFE car. Having bought the 5-door the Impreza had more usability, resale value personality, and safety then the Elantra I looked at, and I got it for the same price as an Elantra with the Extended Warrenty and a lower APR. I really love my car. It's beautiful inside and out. Plus it has AWD, something found on only one other car in its class.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.