Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

My first Subaru
By Nicole

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru and I am very happy with it. I traded in a 2006 Civic that went nowhere in the snow and during Minnesota winters that's not a good thing. I decided on this because of the AWD, the looks and the price. I am impressed with the ride, and quality of the car and it has great pick up, it's pretty quick! Not much road noise either. Feels like a nice solid ride. Cant wait for some snow to test it out. It gets a pretty solid 26 mpg city and when I drove a 200 mile trip all highway it got a solid 32 mpg which I think is great for this car and it isn't even broken in yet. Overall happy with my purchase and will buy a Subaru again, maybe a Legacy next time :)

The AWD without a doubt, the iPod interface. I love the Newport Blue Pearl color I have.

The stereo could sound better, although when you put in a CD or use a iPod or MP3 the stereo comes to life.

A Practical Commuter with a Soul
By Mike

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have only owned the vehicle for a few days, but it is incredibly solid and quite fun to drive. Going from a Z28 to a four-cylinder was a bit daunting, but the car feels spritely for 170 ponies. Controls are well laid-out and easy to figure out, and the car responds as though it is meant to be driven. After test-driving a few vehicles (Corolla, Civic, etc) the Subaru was by far the most fun and felt like the best value for my dollar, especially with the full-time All Wheel Drive. The stereo is a bit tinny (base model), but can be easily upgraded. Absolutely opt for the auxiliary-input if you get the base model for MP3 connectivity - it's a blast!

Downshifting and blipping the throttle around corners plants the car firmly - good road manners under any driving conditions, and better than projected fuel economy (I've been getting ~25 combined city/highway and the car is still being broken in) - expecting 30+ with average driving.

Base speakers need upgrading; rear drum brakes on base model are solid, but I'd like to see 4 wheel disc. VDC (traction control) now standard on 09, so I'll curb that one! :)

Great ride
By MikeyEv

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car in February of 2008. I'm not a big fan of the 4dr, but I do love my 5dr wagon. I had a great buying experience and I got a great deal. I love the way the car drives. Great all-around ride and suspension. Lots of power. It has very little turbo lag. It's great on hills. With the seats folded down, there is a lot of space. The car is very practical, reliable, and mostly importantly fun.

The turbo engine. The 5dr wagon design. Friendly ergonomics.

Power seats.

Comfortable and affordable
By Ty

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru, and I'm impressed so far. The ride is a near perfect blend of road feel and impact isolation. Not even major potholes transfer into the car as harsh impacts. The steering and brakes are almost perfectly weighted, though I had hoped for more road feel and feedback from a Subaru. They got most of the interior details right (the steering wheel buttons light up!), but some cost cutting is definitely visible. I think they did it in the right places, it's certainly forgivable in exchange for AWD and an engine that makes 30 more HP than competitors do. Overall it drives very nicely for a sub-20K car is getting 5-6 MPG more than my CR-V that had the same MPG rating.

Class leading power from the unique and fun boxer engine, comfortable and well balanced ride, nicely weighted and accurate steering and brakes, seats fit my back perfectly, airy and open feeling light colored interior, audio system uses quality speakers and sounds nicely balanced.

HVAC controls feel cheap and clunky like the kind you see in Fords from the 80's, shift linkage is quite notchy during the first 2000 miles (but smooths out a lot over time thankfully), AWD makes quick launches and fast 1-2 upshifts tricky if they're needed, some obvious interior cost cutting.

Too many RATTLES
By Subie

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

New 2008 STi is unquestionably a blast to drive, and I actually prefer the new, toned-down body style. That said, I'm finding it a difficult daily driver. Not because of the transmission (clunky) or the gas mileage (mediocre), but because the car rattles so, so, so much. I've only owned it for a few months, and it is barely out of its break-in period. But it seems like every time I get in the car, it has developed a new interior rattle. No use turning to dealerships for help, in my experience, as they either fail to fix the problem, or claim to be unable to replicate it. Just how high do you have to turn the stereo and a/c to drown out all those rattles, boys?

Sweet new looks, hatchback utility, great seats.

Interior build quality is a step back from previous Subarus. Car rattles incessantly. Sad to say this may be my last STi.