Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

2008 Impreza
By Joe

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall the car has been great. The gas mileage has been better than the EPA rating. I've been getting between 25-26 highway/town and 31-32 on the highway. Haven't had a single problem yet.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, ride, interior, seating position

Suggested Improvements

The radio is kind of cheap, sounding quality wise and watts. The other issue is the body roll. It's not bad, it roll to a certain point then stops, its not alarming, just wise it would not roll in the corners so much. I guess a set of sport springs would fix that without effecting the ride quality

Impressive Impreza
By Subienewbie

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I leased a 08 Impreza in early august. I test drove the wrx and then decided to go with the 2.5i 4-door as the lease deal seemed to too sweet to ignore. The car has been fun to drive - it is a real dynamo for its size. The engine is responsive, smooth and has ample juice on the highway. Long-drives have been at about 30.5 mpg and city at 23 on average. Not bad for a 3200 pound car with awd. I am really glad I got a subie!

Best for the price
By Mike

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got mine more than year ago. So far very pleased by the price/quality/value. I averaged ~22mpg (~6000 city + ~3000 highway) and I'm OK with that considering AWD, 2.5 engine and automatic transmission. I got Dark Gray Metallic colored car with dark interior. So far no mechanical problems - I've changed only oil and air filters. I believe that the engine is great and allows some fun on the road but could get better performance with manual transmission. Unfortunately my wife prefers automatic so we got less fun.

Favorite Features

AWD, handling, reliability, safety and looks. Also I got very nice rate for my full coverage insurance compared to competitor vehicles. There is enough leg, shoulder and head room for tall drivers (I'm 6'5").

Suggested Improvements

Better auto transmission, paint could be scratched very easily especially around door handles, standard audio speakers could be improved. Need better plastic materials for some of the parts like the holder of the fuel tank cap and some of the interior segments.

Very Good except for torque
By AJ

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is generally very good. I got it for an excellent price, even in its first year. I really like the interior design and layout and the great looking and useful hatch bodystyle. The interior generally is nice for the $ but I think the red lighting is juvenile and hard to read. The main problem with the car is the short-stroke engine combined with interia of AWD system makes it a torqueless dog both around town and on the highway. I can't fathom why the engineers would set it up that way. At least the short gearing kind of makes up for it, but then it ends up feeling like it needs a 6th gear. All together it drives and rides pretty well and is comfortable. MPG isn't bad for AWD.

Favorite Features

Interior design and layout; balanced feel; AWD grip; European good looks; stability control and traction control; steering has good feel and isn't too quick on the highway or too slow to be sporty; compact size; nice turn-in; good ride unless cornering hard; heated mirrors, seats, wiper area.

Suggested Improvements

Torque!! Needs much more torque low but all around as well; needs more power generally; rough engine, especially on start-up; engine noise; leans and bounces in hard cornering; gearing too short, or needs 6th gear; no lumbar adjustment; weak A/C; juvenile red dash lighting; doors very plasticky.

My first Subaru
By Nicole

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru and I am very happy with it. I traded in a 2006 Civic that went nowhere in the snow and during Minnesota winters that's not a good thing. I decided on this because of the AWD, the looks and the price. I am impressed with the ride, and quality of the car and it has great pick up, it's pretty quick! Not much road noise either. Feels like a nice solid ride. Cant wait for some snow to test it out. It gets a pretty solid 26 mpg city and when I drove a 200 mile trip all highway it got a solid 32 mpg which I think is great for this car and it isn't even broken in yet. Overall happy with my purchase and will buy a Subaru again, maybe a Legacy next time :)

Favorite Features

The AWD without a doubt, the iPod interface. I love the Newport Blue Pearl color I have.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo could sound better, although when you put in a CD or use a iPod or MP3 the stereo comes to life.