Used 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Perfect pass
By SpeedyPetey14

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Driving the STI is an unmatched experience, especially. l compared to the Impreza w/o turbo. I previously owned an Impreza Outback Sport and always craved something more, the STI gave me that and then some. The SI drive and center differential settings are a great way to "customize" your driving experience every time you jump in. It's truly a Rocky Mountain toy.

Favorite Features

Turbo, 6 speed, exterior design, wide stance, performance, cornering ability, snow car.

Suggested Improvements

Sticker price

Not worth the money
By Carmen

Way too much money for what you get. I paid $34,000 for my 2008 STI and it started to wear, rattle, and the is so cheaply done that it scratches easily and flakes off. The car is fast but is very hard to get it to drive smoothly. It jerks with the smallest of gas and throttle inputs. The utility of the hatch is great and its very fast. I averaged about 17 mpg and that should be against the law in a 4 cylinder car. The seats are cheap and offer no support. I have been in $18,000 cars with better sport seats.

Favorite Features

1. Speed the car is fast. 2. Utility of a hatch 3. Styling

Suggested Improvements

Subaru needs to use better paint. The interior ages quickly and the shiny parts scratch and flake. The seats need to be bolstered and of a higher quality. Get rid of the rattles it rattles in the front, sides, and back. Use direct injection for better gas mileage.

Passenger Airbag concerns
By SBNP

I recently brought the car in for some warranty issues as well as a software recall on the ECU. I mentioned to the advisor that when my spouse or 13 yr. daughter sit in the passenger seat, the airbag off light illuminates. They assured me everything was fine and that I could have them take off of school and work to come in and they would teach them how to sit correctly. With some persistence the dealer called me back and confirmed that they cannot get the light to say on with ~105-129lbs. on a brand new STI. The NHTSA says that they never tested that car. SOA told me they did, but it turns out the base Impreza was. Either way, SOA said they will not change anything.

Favorite Features

The AWD is great. Steering wheel has a good feel. Back seats fold down-this was an EVO deal breaker for me. Car's looks!

Suggested Improvements

Fix air bag issue, ipod adapted is unreachable by driver and flat out stinks. Mine hasn't worked since day one. Seat have way too much lateral movement. Stereo is terrible. 0-60 requires 2 shifts??? No heated mirrors for a $33k+ car.

ZZzzooooommmmmm!
By LYLETN

This car is really FUN!! I'm using it as my highway traveler & it's a real kick to drive. This is my 3rd Impreza wagon upping the horsepower every time. This car is much more refined than the 06 WRX it replaces. It has a great ride & is faster, & handles better. I've had no problems with rattles, the overall fit & finish kicks my former WRX square in the back end! There is no comparison.

Favorite Features

The engine. The aggressive look of the car, without the look of a "boy" speed racer (a ticket waiting to happen). The seats are much improved as is the interior space. Back seat passengers are much more comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

1st gear is geared too low (you have to get out of it too quick). A car that is top of the line should come with an auto-dimming rearview mirror & the optional center armrest standard!! The all weather floor mats should also be part of the standard package.

STI for adults
By erven50

I purchased my 2008 STI in March of 2008 and have been completely satisfied. It is fast, useful and the 2008 avoided the "boy racer" wing of older STIs. Some say the car has gotten soft - as compared to what? If a far better car and as fast as my 2004 Mustang Cobra and a powerful car with all wheel drive is simply amazing. The dealers are now discounting the STI heavily - my advice is if you want performance and durability - test drive the new STI - and gas mileage is 20-22 if you exercise some control. The STI is hands down the best performance car I have ever owned

Favorite Features

All wheel drive and ability for $ 1,200 to increase the power to 350 hp via Cobb Tuning

Suggested Improvements

A little more side bolster in the driver's seat