Used 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

My second Sti- destruction of a fine car
By subdriver3

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I am dissapointed in my 2008 Sti. It drives like a stretched limo compared to my former STI Sedan. Frankly, I am sorry I bought it. My previous Sedan STi was undoubtely the most fun, sensitive, firey driving experience I ever had. I looked forward to driving it every day and it was a magical experience. It was like a wild horse at my finger tips. This 2008 limo has been destroyed by Subaru in my opinion. Its acceleration, handling, ride almost feel like an ordinary car. It is boring. I wish I had spent less money and bought the WRX from what I hear. On the other hand, it is, for me, a reliable, stable luxury car of a draft horse that can handle the altitude of Colorado.

Nice , slow, stable feel. You know it won't let you down.

Bring back the 2006 characteristics of the firey Sedan as much as possible. Add an option to stop fishtailing on sharp acceleration and turning as an option.

A great car, ruined by Subaru
By bensti

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Gold BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my first Subaru. I bought it as a CPO with 19k miles on it. About 1300mi after buying it, the MAF sensor failed, then at 3k miles, the engine spun a rod bearing and failed, got a new engine which was broken in properly and then failed from another cracked piston 5kmi later. Oh, and did I mention that it sat in the shop waiting for Subaru to get off their asses and fix it for over a month each time. On top of that, the transmission has begun to have issues, like it won't go into 1st gear without a horrible grind, the dealer says it is "Not a major problem"! Headlights failed, rear diff failed, clutch failed due to bad work from the dealer, and the car is still broken Buy an Evo

The car is fast from the factory, it is quite a blast on the highway! When you get into corners, it is good until you start pushing it, then you run into the understeer. The front seats are great, the cluster looks awesome, and the overall feel of the interior is high quality.

Fix the issues with the engine Subaru! It is stupid to have to keep putting in entire new engines to fix issues that you could have prevented at the factory! Slightly stiffer bushings would help a lot. Steering is fairly sloppy but could be corrected with better bushings in the control arm. There are plenty of small mods that can be done to greatly improve the car's handling and feel from the factory with little or no extra cost.

Perfect pass
By SpeedyPetey14

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Driving the STI is an unmatched experience, especially. l compared to the Impreza w/o turbo. I previously owned an Impreza Outback Sport and always craved something more, the STI gave me that and then some. The SI drive and center differential settings are a great way to "customize" your driving experience every time you jump in. It's truly a Rocky Mountain toy.

Turbo, 6 speed, exterior design, wide stance, performance, cornering ability, snow car.

Sticker price

A pretty gas guzzler!
By SK4417

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Nav, Gold BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got this vehicle based on the Subaru reputation for safety and reliability. It's safe, alright, but it has been a money pit for me maintenance and fuel- wise. I commute 90 miles a day, and I average 23-25 MPH on the highway. And, hope you never have to replace a tire-- due to the AWD you'll need to replace all four. It looks pretty standing, but is a gas guzzler! I won't buy another one or recommend it.

Appearance, Handling

Fuel Economy!

Didn't look twice @ Subaru until now
By Subie 4 Life

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Nav, Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a 2nd review nearly 1.5 years after initial. I changed the performance rating to an 8, prev. was 10. The ECU Map seemed a bit hiccupy. Peaks and valleys thr/out the power band. Subaru recalled for ECU issues. Reflashed the ECU and it helped, however not as it should. I have since "tuned" the car w/ aftermarket mapping and parts. Power output is about 350 hp and 380 tq. Very smooth and usable power now. I lowered the exterior rating because of the tail lights. They really bother me! The front grille is out of place too. Nav system is still clumsy to operate and not very accurate. I have gotten used to the lack of amenities. Still smitten by a true 4 season perf. car.

Performance whether factory or tuned. Power potential. Tons of aftermarket parts/support. AWD is absolutely amazing in the snow/ice. Handling. Usable interior space. Simple dummy proof controls (Exc. Nav). Very robust car that eats bad roads like candy. True 4 season performance daily driver.

Fine tune the ECU. Subaru, dump the NAV! It stinks! Improve the sound system. Improve the HID projection, they don't illuminate far/high enough. Has been dangerous on dark roads. Heated mirrors standard. PERIOD! Most have been cosmetic but the headlights, I think, are the only big issue.