2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
My second Sti- destruction of a fine car
By subdriver3 on 09/29/11 20:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I am dissapointed in my 2008 Sti. It drives like a stretched limo compared to my former STI Sedan. Frankly, I am sorry I bought it. My previous Sedan STi was undoubtely the most fun, sensitive, firey driving experience I ever had. I looked forward to driving it every day and it was a magical experience. It was like a wild horse at my finger tips. This 2008 limo has been destroyed by Subaru in my opinion. Its acceleration, handling, ride almost feel like an ordinary car. It is boring. I wish I had spent less money and bought the WRX from what I hear. On the other hand, it is, for me, a reliable, stable luxury car of a draft horse that can handle the altitude of Colorado.

A great car, ruined by Subaru
By bensti on 12/17/10 22:56 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Gold BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my first Subaru. I bought it as a CPO with 19k miles on it. About 1300mi after buying it, the MAF sensor failed, then at 3k miles, the engine spun a rod bearing and failed, got a new engine which was broken in properly and then failed from another cracked piston 5kmi later. Oh, and did I mention that it sat in the shop waiting for Subaru to get off their asses and fix it for over a month each time. On top of that, the transmission has begun to have issues, like it won't go into 1st gear without a horrible grind, the dealer says it is "Not a major problem"! Headlights failed, rear diff failed, clutch failed due to bad work from the dealer, and the car is still broken Buy an Evo

Perfect pass
By SpeedyPetey14 on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Driving the STI is an unmatched experience, especially. l compared to the Impreza w/o turbo. I previously owned an Impreza Outback Sport and always craved something more, the STI gave me that and then some. The SI drive and center differential settings are a great way to "customize" your driving experience every time you jump in. It's truly a Rocky Mountain toy.

A pretty gas guzzler!
By SK4417 on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Nav, Gold BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got this vehicle based on the Subaru reputation for safety and reliability. It's safe, alright, but it has been a money pit for me maintenance and fuel- wise. I commute 90 miles a day, and I average 23-25 MPH on the highway. And, hope you never have to replace a tire-- due to the AWD you'll need to replace all four. It looks pretty standing, but is a gas guzzler! I won't buy another one or recommend it.

Didn't look twice @ Subaru until now
By Subie 4 Life on 12/28/09 09:45 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Nav, Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a 2nd review nearly 1.5 years after initial. I changed the performance rating to an 8, prev. was 10. The ECU Map seemed a bit hiccupy. Peaks and valleys thr/out the power band. Subaru recalled for ECU issues. Reflashed the ECU and it helped, however not as it should. I have since "tuned" the car w/ aftermarket mapping and parts. Power output is about 350 hp and 380 tq. Very smooth and usable power now. I lowered the exterior rating because of the tail lights. They really bother me! The front grille is out of place too. Nav system is still clumsy to operate and not very accurate. I have gotten used to the lack of amenities. Still smitten by a true 4 season perf. car.

2008 STI with NAV
By cdv478 on 11/26/09 12:50 PM (PST)

This car has been decent overall. It is a lot of fun to drive and is useful for hauling smaller items. It has been very reliable with the exception of the NAV system. SOA has replaced it 4 times, and the 4th unit is defective, and has been since Feb 2009. The reason it hasn't been fixed properly is that Subaru will only install used "remanufactured" nav units, not new ones, even though I am the original owner and had nav problems less than a week after taking delivery. The car is fun to drive and I am happy with it. Subaru of America service is terrible. As of 11/26/09, my car has 9800 miles and STILL has a defective nav unit.

Not worth the money
By Carmen on 10/31/09 20:17 PM (PDT)

Way too much money for what you get. I paid $34,000 for my 2008 STI and it started to wear, rattle, and the is so cheaply done that it scratches easily and flakes off. The car is fast but is very hard to get it to drive smoothly. It jerks with the smallest of gas and throttle inputs. The utility of the hatch is great and its very fast. I averaged about 17 mpg and that should be against the law in a 4 cylinder car. The seats are cheap and offer no support. I have been in $18,000 cars with better sport seats.

My STi
By CK on 08/05/09 22:17 PM (PDT)

This is my first Subaru & what I've noticed is that wrx & sti owners have some special bond when they see another. Everyone always waves or smiles. Pretty cool. Those that know what a STi is, are always wanting to race & well sometimes I have to just let her run & they get to see my tail lights. ; ) I've taken it snowboarding several times even in white out conditions & my STi has never let me down. I've taken corners like it was on rails. I don't even sweat it anymore. So... definitely fun to drive & I hope to keep for a very long time because I can't see myself in another car.

Wolf in SheepÂ’s Clothing
By Oliverzilla on 05/18/09 09:54 AM (PDT)

I was looking for a car that was a great performing sports car, fun to drive, good daily driver, 4 doors, could be used to get groceries, and did not scream ‘sports car’. I found the perfect combination with the my black 2008 WRX STI with silver BBS wheels. This car just rocks. Here are the things that I like best about this car: 1. The ability to tune the car between ‘intelligent’ for daily driving and sport and serious fun with Sport # -- nothing like it on the market. 2. The ability to change the differential for power to the front and rear wheels - tons of options, tons of power, this car moves! 3. The clean simple design of the interior - very nice but not complicated and overdone.

A great car that could be better
By stijockey on 04/01/09 07:29 AM (PDT)

The STI is a great daily driver: fast, comfortable, good visibility and the hatch makes it practical. Handling is good with some understeer but the AWD grip is amazing. The interior quality is a little sub-par but it is an Impreza after all. Road noise is a bit on the high side but much quieter than the previous generation. What's missing are heated mirrors and headlight washers, heated seats and the push button start system.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Subaru Impreza Wrx-sti in WA is:

$166 per month*