2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
LOVE my WRX
By lilhoot on 10/04/12 15:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2008 brand new when I graduated college. I'd been in a few older ones and knew how fun they were, but the 2008+ model years really add a touch of comfort and practicality whereas the previous models just felt slightly cheap. It is a blast to drive and anyone who I've let behind the wheel has fallen in love with it. The AWD has exceeded my expectations in the our tough Utah winters. My only complaints are the interior could be a bit more exciting (esp dash), but I think they did address that in later models. Stock wheels are a joke (mine BENT the first year on small potholes) but just replaced them w/better looking one. Overall, a great car with far more pep than you'd think

Nice car but...
By oak6 on 06/12/11 05:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just returned this car off lease at 30k. The deal was too good to pass up: $199/mo. Reliability was excellent: no issues. I went through 3 Syracuse winters on M+S tires with no driving problems. That said, I was happy to be rid of the car. Engine noise is excessive and there is annoying vibration at over 2500rpm. Highway speed in 5th gear is about 2700rpm; get the picture? I test drove other Subes and all had the same issue. The boxers in the engine really go at it at high rpm. This car will accelerate briskly but that means high rpm. Who needs the beating. Great car at 200rpm which means 45mph. Homely. 27-30mpg (70% highway) duration of my ownership

Do not purchase this car!
By webbie304 on 01/16/11 13:23 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my wife new in 2008. We test drove the car and liked it. It is a good driving car, and thats all. We have had back to the dealer several times. Everything from the struts, sway bar bushings. Had to replace the brakes a little over a year of driving it. We live in an area with alot of snow, and the AWD is not very good. Only two wheels will spin at a time, one front and one opposite rear. There is no traction control what so ever. Save your money!

3rd Subie
By nsky on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought a used 2008 with high miles to replace an aging Mazda B truck. I also compared a few 2006-2007 models, but no WRX's in the same price range. The 06-07's were much more fun to drive- more connected to the road. The 08 is much quieter and smoother like a "grown-up" car as my wife put it ( she drives an Outback, which we LOVE) I'm a sporty driver with a heavy foot, and the gas mileage is OK- about 23 for urban- suburban commuting, quite often in bumper to bumper. If you want a gas sipper, look elsewhere. If you want AWD security, your're in the right place. 35 MPG is useless if you can't get out of the driveway.

Pleasant car to drive
By Tom on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Sat Radio, Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is very quiet, nothing like the rattle box my wife's Focus is. Engine is very quiet, that my wife can't hear it well, and try to restart it twice. I don't like the abs at times as it kick in prematurely, but most time it is quiet. The interesting "safety" feature about the car is that if you forget to tighten your gas cap well, or if any glitches occur in the engine or drive train - the Cruise control light flashes, check engine light goes on, and the traction control light goes on. This scared the jeepers out of me at first - but it is an important safety feature to protect the engine. You can buy a code reader for $20 or take to action auto for the code to be read.

'08 WRX SEDAN
By dScof on 01/06/10 11:34 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX 4dr Sedan AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Subaru. I owned a 2005 WRX sedan before, which was a terrific little car. As for the '08, I initially didn't think that an extra half liter in engine size would make much difference, but I was wrong. This car revs so smooth and effortless, if you're not careful you can touch 100mph on the freeway without even realizing it. The handling in this car is superb, with some minor body roll, but it's not noticeable in everyday driving. Fuel economy could probably be better, I used to average 20mpg on the stock tires (tires = awful), switched to lighter, performance tires and am getting 22-23mpg in mixed driving, up to 30mpg at non-freeway speeds if I set cruise and stay off turbo.

First year with first Subaru
By MNJ on 01/04/10 12:38 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Impreza for a year. Its been through rural blizzard-prone Minnesota winter and has performed well. Very fun to drive in snow and has good grip on snow and ice. Seems to be able to go through deeper snow as well, but clutch starts to smell hot. I get about 31-33 MPG in the summer on the highway (haven't driven much in metro traffic.) Winter MPG drops off sharply to 17 in town/short trips and 25 on the highway. Only problems are a faulty tire pressure sensor (covered by warranty) and about 1 out of every 3 times when anti-lock brakes kick in on ice in below 0 temps, vehicle dynamics control and ABS goes out and won't work. Shutting car off and re-starting seems to fix it.

One of many VeeDubbers to Subaru
By DW on 11/09/09 06:21 AM (PST)

I recently traded in my '07 VW GTI on a used (17,000 miles)-'08 Impreza 2.5i. So I lose 30 hp, gain awd, lose handling, but gain a more grown up, and comfortable car. I wanted something I would be somewhat happy with along with reliability. With the reliability of Subaru, I had my choice. If you want something that will be a 6-7 on the fun scale, that looks good, will drive through anything, and that will be as reliable as a rock... buy one of these.

Slow Love Affair
By Chicabags on 11/05/09 17:24 PM (PST)

This is my first brand new car and Subaru. My first driving an AWD as well. At first I didn't like it much. It took me a year to appreciate it. In time I experienced how safe it kept in challenging weather, bumping terrain sudden braking. I love how safe it keeps me on the road. This is important to me since I drive quite a bit on a daily basis, street and highway. However, there are a lot of things I would like changed. Appreciate anti-theft features standard with the model.

Very fun and Reliable!
By Huffman.ben on 09/06/09 17:25 PM (PDT)

This was my very first brand new car and I'm glad I bought a Subaru. I have had no problems to date. I went through one winter so far and it was easy with the WRX.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.