Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

129,000 miles and I enjoyed every one.
By Ron

2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

LOVE my WRX
By lilhoot

I bought my 2008 brand new when I graduated college.
I'd been in a few older ones and knew how fun they were, but the 2008+ model years really add a touch of comfort and practicality whereas the previous models just felt slightly cheap.
It is a blast to drive and anyone who I've let behind the wheel has fallen in love with it.
The AWD has exceeded my expectations in the our tough Utah winters.
My only complaints are the interior could be a bit more exciting (esp dash), but I think they did address that in later models.
Stock wheels are a joke (mine BENT the first year on small potholes) but just replaced them w/better looking one.
Overall, a great car with far more pep than you'd think

Smooth shifting, fun to drive, comfortable seats.

Wish it had a moonroof option(should've waited another model year), better wheels.

Nice car but...
By oak6

2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just returned this car off lease at 30k.
The deal was too good to pass up: $199/mo.
Reliability was excellent: no issues.
I went through 3 Syracuse winters on M+S tires with no driving problems.
That said, I was happy to be rid of the car.
Engine noise is excessive and there is annoying vibration at over 2500rpm.
Highway speed in 5th gear is about 2700rpm; get the picture?
I test drove other Subes and all had the same issue.
The boxers in the engine really go at it at high rpm.
This car will accelerate briskly but that means high rpm. Who needs the beating.
Great car at 200rpm which means 45mph.
Homely.
27-30mpg (70% highway) duration of my ownership

Ran 30k with only routine maintenance. Smooth transmission. Comfortable front seating. Satisfactory A to B car in a snowy climate. (Probably the important factors for the Sube love crowd.)

Needs much better engine vibration control over 2500rpm. Noisy at highway speeds. Limited fun to drive factor. Trunk lid closing arms intrude into the trunk: great for crushing items. I have always heard that people either love or hate Subarus. You may put two check marks in the "Hate" column.

Do not purchase this car!
By webbie304

2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my wife new in 2008. We test drove the car and liked it. It is a good driving car, and thats all. We have had back to the dealer several times. Everything from the struts, sway bar bushings. Had to replace the brakes a little over a year of driving it. We live in an area with alot of snow, and the AWD is not very good. Only two wheels will spin at a time, one front and one opposite rear. There is no traction control what so ever. Save your money!

3rd Subie
By nsky

2008 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought a used 2008 with high miles to replace an aging Mazda B truck. I also compared a few 2006-2007 models, but no WRX's in the same price range. The 06-07's were much more fun to drive- more connected to the road. The 08 is much quieter and smoother like a "grown-up" car as my wife put it ( she drives an Outback, which we LOVE) I'm a sporty driver with a heavy foot, and the gas mileage is OK- about 23 for urban- suburban commuting, quite often in bumper to bumper. If you want a gas sipper, look elsewhere. If you want AWD security, your're in the right place. 35 MPG is useless if you can't get out of the driveway.

AWD is great- this is our 3rd Subaru. The standard features are fine for an inexpensive car. In regular drive mode, it just putters along. BUT, when you want to play, the Sport mode unleashes the Subie beast. This car runs great!

It needs another gear in the automatic. RPM are a little high at 60-65 mph.. Better yet it needs a completely redesigned auto tranny that can decide what gear it wants to be in.