2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Surprisingly fun
By bloovis on 06/14/11 08:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car replaced a beloved 2001 VW Golf GLS 1.8t. I was hoping to find something as fun and comfortable as the VW, but with AWD to get me up our steep Vermont hills in winter in the places where the VW failed to make progress. The Outback Sport has turned out to be much more entertaining than I expected. It doesn't have quite the zip of the VW turbo, but it's plenty fast. The biggest surprise was the excellent steering and handling: quite an improvement over the somewhat squishy VW. The next biggest surprise was the fuel economy; I'm getting 28 on average, and as high as 32 on some off-freeway road trips.

Best car i've ever owned
By luckyzsquirrel on 06/11/10 16:10 PM (PDT)

I've had this car a couple years and plan to keep it for a long time. Handles great, comfortable, lots of features, solid, great visibility and performs! It may have "only" 170 Hp, but a very broad power band. This car flies up the Colorado mountain passes. I could easily do 20 over even the steepest grades here, while many cars struggle to hold the speed limit. AWD is extraordinary in the winter, in all but true off road and deep snow(say over a foot) this car does better than my truck. Its economy is rated at 19-22, but I've NEVER been close to that low. I consistently get just under 30 mpg combined driving. I've had it in the mid 30's on the highway.

Great car for the money
By Mich Dave on 12/29/09 05:08 AM (PST)

I've had my Outback for 34000 miles and I'm very, very happy with the purchase. Better than expected mpg's-- 25/30 and better performance than I thought I'd get from the 170 hp. This is my first Subaru, but certainly not my last. If at all possible go with the 5 speed--better performance and much better mpg's than the 4 speed auto. All I've done so far is change the oil. The only downside would be the paint and the radio. They should be able to do much better in the radio despite the low price of the car. I'm glad I went Subi instead of the Mazda 3--especially when there is snow on the ground.

Subaru: Always a Great Purchase!
By Jason on 07/27/09 13:23 PM (PDT)

This is my 3rd Subaru: 04 WRX (wish I never sold it!), 07 Forester XS, and this car. I'm driving 45,000 miles a year (crazy!) and averaging 30 MPG at usually 70-75 MPH, which is beyond the EPA reading! Cruise control is my friend. Can't beat the AWD in any weather. I HIGHLY recommend any Subaru model to anyone looking for a vehicle. No issues whatsoever with this car. -- If you're car shopping, just take a moment to drive some Subaru's, especially in a downpour or bad weather... I bet you'll be amazed! For comparison, do the same with other brands. This is when you'll notice more about the true feel of a vehicle versus a bright, dry, sunny day.

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
By Stephan on 01/10/09 03:06 AM (PST)

I bought this car brand-new in September 2008 to replace my 2005 Impreza RS wagon. I love the looks of the new car versus the old - it was long due for a ground-up remodel and they (IMHO) got it right. Upgrading to the outback sport was a no-brainer considering what the package gives you; roof-rack, larger 17" alloy wheels, a far better stereo, 4 wheel disc brakes, upgraded suspension and the very slick VDC. Oh, and you get to say 'Outback' even though it's also an Impreza. :) So Subaru calls it a wagon. Why? It doesn't look or smell or taste like a wagon. With the seats up & even with a mild trip to the market, it can't even stuff like a wagon. Call it what it is. A great little 5 door!

Very Good except for torque
By AJ on 10/26/08 07:46 AM (PDT)

The car is generally very good. I got it for an excellent price, even in its first year. I really like the interior design and layout and the great looking and useful hatch bodystyle. The interior generally is nice for the $ but I think the red lighting is juvenile and hard to read. The main problem with the car is the short-stroke engine combined with interia of AWD system makes it a torqueless dog both around town and on the highway. I can't fathom why the engineers would set it up that way. At least the short gearing kind of makes up for it, but then it ends up feeling like it needs a 6th gear. All together it drives and rides pretty well and is comfortable. MPG isn't bad for AWD.

Best Fuel Economic AWD on the Market
By Stephen on 09/16/08 12:00 PM (PDT)

I searched for the most fuel economic (freeway), AWD (for frequent dirt-roading/all weather) on the market with good interior loading capacity. This car blew the SX4 Crossover AWD (which I test drove) out of the water, especially in loading capacity, and was ~$10k cheaper than the Ford Escape Hybrid (which was great to drive but had about the same fuel economy as the Impreza 180hp). I've already driven through fields with my Outback Sport in wet weather and it plowed through it like a champion - I can't wait for snow to come this season! This car has already been superior on road trips. I've noticed the gear ratio used makes for a slight lack of power switching from 4th to 5th. @ ~50-55 mph

Fun, safe, defies bad weather
By Jeb on 07/30/08 08:54 AM (PDT)

OK, I've heard all you drivers of other makes talk about performance and fuel economy; this is a very competitive market segment. But, if you could give up very little speed and gas mileage, in exchange for top safety ratings, reliability and engineering, would you do it? Now, factor in rain and snow. Not only is Subaru the best bad weather vehicle that is practical for daily driving, it will outperform the rest of the market segment when road conditions are tough. The symmetrical AWD system does not introduce any of the instability or inefficiency cause by the systems that divert power off-axis. Pick a nasty day and go drive one to see for yourself.

New Impreza outback sport
By jeremy on 06/01/08 23:54 PM (PDT)

We have now owned this car for about a month, and have had time to fully evaluate the car aside from the maintenance. All in all, we are very satisfied with the vehicle and get about 23.5 miles to the gallon with 80% city driving. Highly recommend this vehicle.

Great Car for the Money!
By Brandon on 05/22/08 12:17 PM (PDT)

I have had this car for 2 weeks now and I absolutely love it! The stick shift is fun and helps to maintain good fuel economy. I have been getting on average 26 to 28 MPG mixed highway/city driving. The car is very roomy, and the seats are comfortable. The ride is greatly improved over previous years with the new rear wishbone suspension and the outback raised suspension helps too. The acceleration is a bit slow but I am more intersted in saving gas these days. The maneuverability of the vehicle is great too, very responsive. I live in Vermont and I got his car because I knew it would help out in the winter season and that to me is worth a sacrifice in fuel economy. Usability over gas.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.