Used 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

The ugliest of the ugly duckling
By Anonymous

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For a WRX fan, the 08 is the one to stay away from. I am now at 41k miles and cannot hand this lease back in fast enough. The suspension is too soft with an intense amount of body roll, though the ride comfort is much improved (IMO leave that for the Impreza owners, not the WRX). The interior is clean but uninspiring with hard plastic everywhere. Throttle response is slow and the traction/abs systems are intrusive. Exterior styling speaks for itself. The sound system is close to the quality of a cell phone speaker in a tin can. Hatch boom is very prevalent. The AWD system in the snow is the only reason I gave FtD category an 8 but the OE RE050's leave a lot to be desired in all conditions.

Interior space is phenomenal! Subaru AWD is one of the best (with TCS off). Head room is surprising. Steering feedback is just right. 2.5L HO motors sound remarkable.

Sound quality. Ipod controls on stereo are clumsy. seat bolsters are a joke and provide no support. lots of hatch boom. suspension is too soft. Subaru paint at its finest and anti-corrosion warranty wont fix it (calls it surface rust). Typical notchy subaru gearbox. Ext. styling and int. materials.

It's a great car.
By RAS3

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my WRX 5 dr for 2 years now; 22k miles @ 24.5 avg mileage. I wrote a review on 11/23/07 and what I wrote then still holds. On top of that, I believe that the Subaru AWD system is superior to my Audi's, even w the performance tires on it. I've been the only one to make it up our hill several times over the past two winters (on ice), passing sport utes of all types splayed across lawns and shoulders. I've also had no problem following large Mercs at high speed on interstates - slowing only when my senses returned and the realization that a large fine would be very painful to me. It's a great car.

AWD, interior space, and... the motor.

lag between accelerator and clutch, and a bit more sound dampening (but, hey, I'm an old guy...)

Paint Issues
By 08 wrx dude

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have recently purchased an 08 wrx 5- door back in September of 08. Since then I have had issues with the paint. With only having 7000 miles my wrx, my old 2006 impreza wagon with 20000 miles still looked brand new compared to my 08 wrx now. I am getting rust on my rear hatch and really bad road abrasion on the fronts of both rear passenger doors and both rear quarter panels. I am very disappointed that this is happening to a $25000 car!!!!!! The dealership has told me that SOA is not going to take action and fix my vehicle because it is normal "wear and tear" when it is clearly a warranty issue in the first place. Pretty much I have a great platform with a Hyundai shell. THE PAINT STINKS!!!

Great car to drive, fun and easy once you get the clutch figured out!!! Fast and reliable except for the PAINT!!!!

PAINT PAINT PAINT PAINT PAINT!!!!!! The corrosion and rust warranty is a gimmick because they are not taking care of my issues. Good thing that Subaru has a reliable platform because if it wasn't for that these cars would not sell!!!!!

2008 WRX Wagon 5 spd
By Jay

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car!! I am a sales rep and drive it a lot, and extremely hard. I actually got 38.5 MPG at 60 mph on the freeway during break in. But after break in I began to drive it like I stole it and still avg 22.5 mpg with 50/50 miles around town and highway, and hitting 6000 rpm all the time. The 09 has stiffer springs and 40 more BHP. I think with the 09, there's no reason to buy an STI unless you want to go to jail. The best bang for the buck out there!

# 1: Handling. #2: Turbo.

Impreza WRX rocks!
By Doug, Cleveland, OH

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've driven moderately sporty cars for a few years (Legacy GT Ltd, MG-ZTT), but this new Impreza leaves them all standing. Very fast (but not *crazy* fast), surprisingly refined (even over eye-watering Ohio roads) and - get this - I'm leasing it for less than $250/month....unbelievable. I can't tell you how good I feel about this car, and how little it's costing me. If you're after speed and good looks - without busting your wallet - you would be insane to get anything else.

Low end torque and power. Very practical leg room in back. Best car I've ever driven for 'on ramping' :>) 5 stars for safety. Low leasing cost. Low cost of maintenance (if it's similar to my Legacy).

....ummm.....maybe the stereo could have better bass...?