2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
The ugliest of the ugly duckling
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For a WRX fan, the 08 is the one to stay away from. I am now at 41k miles and cannot hand this lease back in fast enough. The suspension is too soft with an intense amount of body roll, though the ride comfort is much improved (IMO leave that for the Impreza owners, not the WRX). The interior is clean but uninspiring with hard plastic everywhere. Throttle response is slow and the traction/abs systems are intrusive. Exterior styling speaks for itself. The sound system is close to the quality of a cell phone speaker in a tin can. Hatch boom is very prevalent. The AWD system in the snow is the only reason I gave FtD category an 8 but the OE RE050's leave a lot to be desired in all conditions.

It's a great car.
By RAS3 on 11/30/09 09:49 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my WRX 5 dr for 2 years now; 22k miles @ 24.5 avg mileage. I wrote a review on 11/23/07 and what I wrote then still holds. On top of that, I believe that the Subaru AWD system is superior to my Audi's, even w the performance tires on it. I've been the only one to make it up our hill several times over the past two winters (on ice), passing sport utes of all types splayed across lawns and shoulders. I've also had no problem following large Mercs at high speed on interstates - slowing only when my senses returned and the realization that a large fine would be very painful to me. It's a great car.

Paint Issues
By 08 wrx dude on 04/27/09 13:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have recently purchased an 08 wrx 5- door back in September of 08. Since then I have had issues with the paint. With only having 7000 miles my wrx, my old 2006 impreza wagon with 20000 miles still looked brand new compared to my 08 wrx now. I am getting rust on my rear hatch and really bad road abrasion on the fronts of both rear passenger doors and both rear quarter panels. I am very disappointed that this is happening to a $25000 car!!!!!! The dealership has told me that SOA is not going to take action and fix my vehicle because it is normal "wear and tear" when it is clearly a warranty issue in the first place. Pretty much I have a great platform with a Hyundai shell. THE PAINT STINKS!!!

2008 WRX Wagon 5 spd
By Jay on 12/16/08 15:05 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car!! I am a sales rep and drive it a lot, and extremely hard. I actually got 38.5 MPG at 60 mph on the freeway during break in. But after break in I began to drive it like I stole it and still avg 22.5 mpg with 50/50 miles around town and highway, and hitting 6000 rpm all the time. The 09 has stiffer springs and 40 more BHP. I think with the 09, there's no reason to buy an STI unless you want to go to jail. The best bang for the buck out there!

Impreza WRX rocks!
By Doug, Cleveland, OH on 04/25/08 19:58 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've driven moderately sporty cars for a few years (Legacy GT Ltd, MG-ZTT), but this new Impreza leaves them all standing. Very fast (but not *crazy* fast), surprisingly refined (even over eye-watering Ohio roads) and - get this - I'm leasing it for less than $250/month....unbelievable. I can't tell you how good I feel about this car, and how little it's costing me. If you're after speed and good looks - without busting your wallet - you would be insane to get anything else.

What they say is true
By RAS3 on 11/23/07 14:14 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I took delivery of a plain, no-frills, 5 door, 5 sp 08 WRX this past Monday. It isn't as "solid" (heavy) or quiet or plush as my old car. In fact, I have a strong sense of deja-vu with a '78 Corolla we once owned. It isn't a hard riding racer. It is a simple car that is very comfortable, quicker than most and a whole lot of FUN. The more I drive it, the more I like it. I was shocked by my first tank's mileage, then I realized that if I got off the boost once in a while, I really could get 22.5 mpg in town.

For All the Right Reasons!
By House on 11/04/07 19:32 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's super safe with front, side and curtain airbags and child latches in rear seat. It's super fast with a turbo that has some lag but the most hustle at the price range and even into the next. The AWD is also safe and fast, gripping corners, bends, and off-ramps. Driving in the rain feels like the traction is that of a tank and its control is superb like the feel of a running back on a highway full of blockers. Interior material is much more durable than other imprezas. Highway driving at 23.5 mpg, city at 18.6 right now, the trip computer allows for an average mpg reading. Very roomy and easy to make use of the hatch area.

Traded my '04 Impreza for an '08 WRX
By MP on 10/28/07 19:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had a 2004 Outback Sport (which I loved dearly) and was nervous about the new model given the bad press on the internet over looks & worse handling. I drove the WRX, came back to the dealer smiling, and lost all doubts -- it's a great car. Like most Subarus it's neither hideous or gorgeous -- a few years behind the competition in styling and execution -- but it is solid, versatile, hopefully as trouble-free as my '04 was. Yes, it is more softly sprung than my old car but honestly I don't miss the go-kart ride. This car does however have a bit more 'float' in fast turns than my old car due to the softer springs - don't like that. Still sticks great, not a dealbreaker! Give the car a look.

Classy sport
By twisterx1124 on 10/28/07 14:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This may sound weird but this is my second new car as a 19 year old kid. My other car was a sports car as well but I kept getting pulled over in it because it looked like a sport car. I knew the reputaion of the WRX and decided to go with it because its new remodeled look has more of a business edge to it. It's a cross between a camry and a 5 series BMW i say. I love the car so far and have had it about a week. There have been no problems... still has a turbo lag but hey it is a turbo. Overall great car but averages about 17-21 mpg so gas can get pricey.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.