2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Great Little Car
By NigelPV2 on 03/22/10 04:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is truly a great car. It is versatile, safe, reliable, and fun to drive. With 44.4 cu/ft of cargo space, 60/40 fold-flat seats, the car can handle anything I throw at it. With the car's AWD system and 6 standard air bags it offer's a level of confidence on the road unlike any of the other cars I test drove. Lastly, Subaru has found a great balance between ride and handling. The car rides completely different then it's predecessor with a subtle ride, yet still contains the prowess to be tossed into a turn. The car is not without it's faults, though, as the hard plastic that completely covers the interior and tires seem to amplify the little road noise that find their way into the cabin.

Cheap AWD Safety, Small Family Car
By Third Subaru on 07/04/09 22:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Biggest complaint: rear drum brakes! We don't drive too many miles but we do have to deal with snow. This model is underpowered and boring to drive, but it gets you to your destination safely and reliably in northern winters. We have averaged 23.5 mpg and have had zero maintenance issues. The interior is cheap but well put together and functional. The rear hatch is poorly designed, when you shut it you either push too light and doesn't latch or push too hard and it rubs the bumper. I am not happy with the amount of rust developing in the suspension, and may take it in to complain about that. The paint looks great but it chips and scratches very easily.

Best 1st Car
By 917shadowfax on 04/28/09 03:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Hands down I think this is the best first car a teen could have. I love it. Having been in search of a car and having saved $10k for a car, I wanted to make sure I was getting a quality build, reliable, fun, usable, and most of all SAFE car. Having bought the 5-door the Impreza had more usability, resale value personality, and safety then the Elantra I looked at, and I got it for the same price as an Elantra with the Extended Warrenty and a lower APR. I really love my car. It's beautiful inside and out. Plus it has AWD, something found on only one other car in its class.

They're on to something here
By legolas11 on 02/06/09 17:58 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. Safe, fun, practical, and great looking both inside and out. I had been saving up for about 4 years to buy my first car (I am 17) and after test driving cars like the Hyundai Elantra, Nissan Versa, and the Suzuki SX4 Sport, I am much happier with an Impreza parked in my driveway. I live in NY and the winter here, though not the worst in the country, are still pretty bad. The geography doesn't really help with winter driving either. Having all wheel drive vehicle is a necessity and this car fits the bill perfectly. It gives me peace of mind to know that I have the added safety of traction from all wheel drive, no matter what the weather is.

My first and last Subaru
By chenn78 on 01/23/09 07:06 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru, I bought it because I wanted a fairly inexpensive car with AWD and a manual transmission and I liked the style of the hatch. The car is a pleasure to drive and gets decent fuel mileage but service and build quality is pretty poor. The car has a large number squeaks and rattles. The paint on the car is terrible, the lower parts of the rear doors and the are behind them have been chipped away so badly after 16,000 miles I already have rust forming. This has to be a design flaw since the front wheels kick everything up on the side of the car and the cheap thin paint chips the second anything touched it. Fuel door release broke has broken twice.

Best Commuter for 4 Seasons
By Strand on 12/31/08 22:47 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car as my commuter ride - 90 miles/day on mostly open roads, only a hand full of lights and stops. Believe it or not, I'm averaging 34-35 mpg for the last 10k miles. This likely has a lot to do with the lack of stop and go and the elevation (5500-7200'). I'm still amazed that an AWD car can be this nimble, get this kind of mileage, and do so well in the mountains.

Lots of Fun for the Money
By David on 12/01/08 11:50 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for a bit over a year. I bought it as a second car, but with the lease ending on my primary vehicle (Infiniti M35x), this little Subaru Impreza has become my primary vehicle. I must say, I really love this little guy. I was originally drawn to the exterior and the interior design (beautiful), but really fell in love with how it drives. It's great fun. My usual tastes for higher-end cars are turned upside down with this Impreza. I just don't see a reason to upgrade and spend the extra $$$ at this time.

A Practical Commuter with a Soul
By Mike on 10/06/08 12:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have only owned the vehicle for a few days, but it is incredibly solid and quite fun to drive. Going from a Z28 to a four-cylinder was a bit daunting, but the car feels spritely for 170 ponies. Controls are well laid-out and easy to figure out, and the car responds as though it is meant to be driven. After test-driving a few vehicles (Corolla, Civic, etc) the Subaru was by far the most fun and felt like the best value for my dollar, especially with the full-time All Wheel Drive. The stereo is a bit tinny (base model), but can be easily upgraded. Absolutely opt for the auxiliary-input if you get the base model for MP3 connectivity - it's a blast!

Great 1st Car
By Nick on 08/30/08 05:26 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my impreza 5-door I looked at a few other cars (Hyundai Elantra, Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, and Suzuki SX4 Sport) and found the Subaru to be my favorite. The AWD is a major advantage over the other cars i looked and and it is fun to drive, I can't wait for the NY winter. Also the versatility of the 5-door.

Beyond My Expectations
By stacie on 10/31/07 19:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just moved to the mountains this past February and knew that I wouldn't be able to survive safely if I didn't have an AWD. After talking to a lot of the locals, I started seriously looking at Subarus. My new little 2008 5-door Impreza is awesome! I love the way it handles, how comfortable it is, how sporty it looks and I have already gotten a chance to see how it handles in the snow... great! It is by far the best car purchase I have ever made.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.