2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Surprisingly fun
By bloovis on 06/14/11 08:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car replaced a beloved 2001 VW Golf GLS 1.8t. I was hoping to find something as fun and comfortable as the VW, but with AWD to get me up our steep Vermont hills in winter in the places where the VW failed to make progress. The Outback Sport has turned out to be much more entertaining than I expected. It doesn't have quite the zip of the VW turbo, but it's plenty fast. The biggest surprise was the excellent steering and handling: quite an improvement over the somewhat squishy VW. The next biggest surprise was the fuel economy; I'm getting 28 on average, and as high as 32 on some off-freeway road trips.

The ugliest of the ugly duckling
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For a WRX fan, the 08 is the one to stay away from. I am now at 41k miles and cannot hand this lease back in fast enough. The suspension is too soft with an intense amount of body roll, though the ride comfort is much improved (IMO leave that for the Impreza owners, not the WRX). The interior is clean but uninspiring with hard plastic everywhere. Throttle response is slow and the traction/abs systems are intrusive. Exterior styling speaks for itself. The sound system is close to the quality of a cell phone speaker in a tin can. Hatch boom is very prevalent. The AWD system in the snow is the only reason I gave FtD category an 8 but the OE RE050's leave a lot to be desired in all conditions.

A car thats Bought with Good Intentions
By Trutsayer on 08/08/10 15:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2004 and had to replace it after I was hit and just not thinking got another hoping it was better as it changed---it didn't, it was NOT better. It gets just pathetic gas mileage to the point where I chatted with other owners that were sure that something was wrong as the mileage was so bad! Then the fantasy.ITs a car that you buy based on the fantasy that you will be 4 wheeling all over the place and plowing through 4 ft snow drifts and lake sized puddles. Reality= trip to grocery / gas station . Not much "fun' to drive . Its not quick and peppy as the 4wd has its drawbacks . Then at high speeds when passing it would lunge in 3rd to 4th and make aloud CLUCK* sound both years. let-down

Poor mileage
By Barbara Rueckert on 07/25/10 07:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

In stop and start driving I get 15.8 to 16.2 mileage. Received message that my tires were low, they were not. Message went off when I hit cruise control. Computer problem?

Best car i've ever owned
By luckyzsquirrel on 06/11/10 16:10 PM (PDT)

I've had this car a couple years and plan to keep it for a long time. Handles great, comfortable, lots of features, solid, great visibility and performs! It may have "only" 170 Hp, but a very broad power band. This car flies up the Colorado mountain passes. I could easily do 20 over even the steepest grades here, while many cars struggle to hold the speed limit. AWD is extraordinary in the winter, in all but true off road and deep snow(say over a foot) this car does better than my truck. Its economy is rated at 19-22, but I've NEVER been close to that low. I consistently get just under 30 mpg combined driving. I've had it in the mid 30's on the highway.

Not quite there
By Mide on 05/10/10 09:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

On paper the car has everything a person needs, but in reality it is lacking at a few areas. First off the 4-speed auto is bad. It is in dire need of 1 more gear. You have to put it into 2nd in order to have any sort of acceleration. Next is the paint quality. It really sucks. There are chips everywhere. Lastly is build quality. The steering-wheel control of the audio system barely works and I have to press very hard to get it to function. Because it still "works" the dealership won't fix the problem. Because of this, it will be the last Subaru I ever purchase. If I could do it again I would not purchase this car.

Great overall car for the money.
By ahowell on 04/07/10 05:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've driven a lot of cars, this particular one has me hooked on Subarus. In general it has a lot of torque and it puts you in your seat very well. The overall build and design is not bad, other than no forethought on where to put aftermarket gauges (boost, wide band,..) The paint takes a lot of TLC to keep it looking new, not too much but more than most. The suspension is wonderful for normal day to day driving but taking a turn it could be a little better.

Great Little Car
By NigelPV2 on 03/22/10 04:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is truly a great car. It is versatile, safe, reliable, and fun to drive. With 44.4 cu/ft of cargo space, 60/40 fold-flat seats, the car can handle anything I throw at it. With the car's AWD system and 6 standard air bags it offer's a level of confidence on the road unlike any of the other cars I test drove. Lastly, Subaru has found a great balance between ride and handling. The car rides completely different then it's predecessor with a subtle ride, yet still contains the prowess to be tossed into a turn. The car is not without it's faults, though, as the hard plastic that completely covers the interior and tires seem to amplify the little road noise that find their way into the cabin.

Great car for the money
By Mich Dave on 12/29/09 05:08 AM (PST)

I've had my Outback for 34000 miles and I'm very, very happy with the purchase. Better than expected mpg's-- 25/30 and better performance than I thought I'd get from the 170 hp. This is my first Subaru, but certainly not my last. If at all possible go with the 5 speed--better performance and much better mpg's than the 4 speed auto. All I've done so far is change the oil. The only downside would be the paint and the radio. They should be able to do much better in the radio despite the low price of the car. I'm glad I went Subi instead of the Mazda 3--especially when there is snow on the ground.

It's a great car.
By RAS3 on 11/30/09 09:49 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my WRX 5 dr for 2 years now; 22k miles @ 24.5 avg mileage. I wrote a review on 11/23/07 and what I wrote then still holds. On top of that, I believe that the Subaru AWD system is superior to my Audi's, even w the performance tires on it. I've been the only one to make it up our hill several times over the past two winters (on ice), passing sport utes of all types splayed across lawns and shoulders. I've also had no problem following large Mercs at high speed on interstates - slowing only when my senses returned and the realization that a large fine would be very painful to me. It's a great car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.