Used 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great Little Car
By NigelPV2

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is truly a great car. It is versatile, safe, reliable, and fun to drive. With 44.4 cu/ft of cargo space, 60/40 fold-flat seats, the car can handle anything I throw at it. With the car's AWD system and 6 standard air bags it offer's a level of confidence on the road unlike any of the other cars I test drove. Lastly, Subaru has found a great balance between ride and handling. The car rides completely different then it's predecessor with a subtle ride, yet still contains the prowess to be tossed into a turn. The car is not without it's faults, though, as the hard plastic that completely covers the interior and tires seem to amplify the little road noise that find their way into the cabin.

Favorite Features

AWD, Comfortable Seats, Usability, Balance Between Handling Capabilities and Comfortable Ride, Reliability, Subtle Styling, Standard Safety Features, Quite Interior (Especially When Compared To Previous Models), Roomy Interior, and L.E.D Tail Lights

Suggested Improvements

Hard Plastic Interior, Sound System (It's ok but could be better), Rear Drum Brakes (There strong but I would have preferred rear disc), Black Door Handles and Side Mirrors, and Noisy Tires Over Rough Surfaces Disturb An Otherwise Peaceful and Quiet Ride.

Cheap AWD Safety, Small Family Car
By Third Subaru

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Biggest complaint: rear drum brakes! We don't drive too many miles but we do have to deal with snow. This model is underpowered and boring to drive, but it gets you to your destination safely and reliably in northern winters. We have averaged 23.5 mpg and have had zero maintenance issues. The interior is cheap but well put together and functional. The rear hatch is poorly designed, when you shut it you either push too light and doesn't latch or push too hard and it rubs the bumper. I am not happy with the amount of rust developing in the suspension, and may take it in to complain about that. The paint looks great but it chips and scratches very easily.

Favorite Features

AWD and reliable build.

Suggested Improvements

Buyers: Skip the nav and ipod upgrade and get an aftermarket in dash GPS with iPod and sat radio. But go for a version with disk brakes. Subaru: use 4 disk brakes, fix the hatch, use better paint, up the power, give us a diesel or hybrid option, and use better rust proofing.

Best 1st Car
By 917shadowfax

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Hands down I think this is the best first car a teen could have. I love it. Having been in search of a car and having saved $10k for a car, I wanted to make sure I was getting a quality build, reliable, fun, usable, and most of all SAFE car. Having bought the 5-door the Impreza had more usability, resale value personality, and safety then the Elantra I looked at, and I got it for the same price as an Elantra with the Extended Warrenty and a lower APR. I really love my car. It's beautiful inside and out. Plus it has AWD, something found on only one other car in its class.

Favorite Features

AWD, build quality, interior space, interior design, ride quality, personality, LED tail lights, usability.

Suggested Improvements

All hard plastic interior, rear drum brakes, what happened to allow wheels which were standard on the 2007 2.5i? Stereo could be a little better. Standard Aux. Jack.

They're on to something here
By legolas11

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. Safe, fun, practical, and great looking both inside and out. I had been saving up for about 4 years to buy my first car (I am 17) and after test driving cars like the Hyundai Elantra, Nissan Versa, and the Suzuki SX4 Sport, I am much happier with an Impreza parked in my driveway. I live in NY and the winter here, though not the worst in the country, are still pretty bad. The geography doesn't really help with winter driving either. Having all wheel drive vehicle is a necessity and this car fits the bill perfectly. It gives me peace of mind to know that I have the added safety of traction from all wheel drive, no matter what the weather is.

Favorite Features

Usefulness of a hatchback, all wheel drive, beautiful interior design and layout, clean exterior design, all around visibility, the growl from the boxer engine.

Suggested Improvements

I would have liked 4-wheel disc brakes, body colored side mirrors and door handles, improved interior materials (there is just way to much hard plastic, not that its cheap) and alloy wheels standard (like previous models). (A lot of this has been covered with the 2009 Impreza.)

My first and last Subaru
By chenn78

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru, I bought it because I wanted a fairly inexpensive car with AWD and a manual transmission and I liked the style of the hatch. The car is a pleasure to drive and gets decent fuel mileage but service and build quality is pretty poor. The car has a large number squeaks and rattles. The paint on the car is terrible, the lower parts of the rear doors and the are behind them have been chipped away so badly after 16,000 miles I already have rust forming. This has to be a design flaw since the front wheels kick everything up on the side of the car and the cheap thin paint chips the second anything touched it. Fuel door release broke has broken twice.

Favorite Features

Interior is nicely laid out and comfortable. Car is great in the snow. Subaru makes a lot of accessories. Too bad the build quality is keeping us from trading our 01 Grand Cherokee in for a new Forester.

Suggested Improvements

Paint needs to be improved, if I was having these issues after 80,000 miles I wouldn't care that much but not after the first couple of hundred miles. The radio is not that great. I should not have so many squeaks in a car that is not even a year old.