Used 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Nice car but...
By oak6

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just returned this car off lease at 30k. The deal was too good to pass up: $199/mo. Reliability was excellent: no issues. I went through 3 Syracuse winters on M+S tires with no driving problems. That said, I was happy to be rid of the car. Engine noise is excessive and there is annoying vibration at over 2500rpm. Highway speed in 5th gear is about 2700rpm; get the picture? I test drove other Subes and all had the same issue. The boxers in the engine really go at it at high rpm. This car will accelerate briskly but that means high rpm. Who needs the beating. Great car at 200rpm which means 45mph. Homely. 27-30mpg (70% highway) duration of my ownership

Favorite Features

Ran 30k with only routine maintenance. Smooth transmission. Comfortable front seating. Satisfactory A to B car in a snowy climate. (Probably the important factors for the Sube love crowd.)

Suggested Improvements

Needs much better engine vibration control over 2500rpm. Noisy at highway speeds. Limited fun to drive factor. Trunk lid closing arms intrude into the trunk: great for crushing items. I have always heard that people either love or hate Subarus. You may put two check marks in the "Hate" column.

Do not purchase this car!
By webbie304

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my wife new in 2008. We test drove the car and liked it. It is a good driving car, and thats all. We have had back to the dealer several times. Everything from the struts, sway bar bushings. Had to replace the brakes a little over a year of driving it. We live in an area with alot of snow, and the AWD is not very good. Only two wheels will spin at a time, one front and one opposite rear. There is no traction control what so ever. Save your money!

First new car
By edan

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's a sharp looking car. Gets me a lot of complements. Not a lot of people know what it is which I like. I can't seem to find a comfortable spot to put the seat, and the clutch is the most unforgiving I've ever used. Fuel economy is pretty good I get about 25 city and 32 highway but I really baby it. There is no use trying to strangle power out of this thing. The interior is super nice, I love the blue accent light next to the shifter to put your phone or whatever. Fit and finish are exellent, interior is beautiful! Overall though I'm really impressed with the car.

Favorite Features

Instruments are easy to read and get along with. Radio easy to program, car is very user friendly. I love the info cluster on the dash. Tells you outside air temp, time, and makes it easy to keep fuel economy up with a mpg gauge.

Suggested Improvements

Five speed manual has given me some problems. Mainly the clutch, its either on or off. You need the perfect touch to get it to take off without surging and bucking on you. Difficult to get into reverse from time to time. Car pulls to the right on highway trips. Needs an alignment.

Great buy
By jnaz

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased this vehicle, the gas mileage is great and it is a pleasure to drive. The back seat and trunk are both a bit tight but I would recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, all wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more rear seat space.

Awesome car
By MURKCITY

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just got the car I have about 3k worth of miles on it. I drive it about 120 miles a day on a five day week schedule and on a reg 9-5 job schedule. I have the 5M and all I can say is that I love my car. It is awesome! This is the fist year that I am actually looking forward to the winter here in New York. Can't wait for the snow! I usually hate driving in the snow but after all the you tube videos of the Impreza's in the snow I cant wait! The only thing I regret is not getting the WRX sti. I might try to trade mine back in for it but not sure. Other than that I love it!

Favorite Features

Boost when driving on the 5M! The AWD. The boxer engine!

Suggested Improvements

Seats need power! The whole handle thing is kinda cave man! Also the passenger side seat needs more options..