Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

LOVE my WRX
By lilhoot

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2008 brand new when I graduated college. I'd been in a few older ones and knew how fun they were, but the 2008+ model years really add a touch of comfort and practicality whereas the previous models just felt slightly cheap. It is a blast to drive and anyone who I've let behind the wheel has fallen in love with it. The AWD has exceeded my expectations in the our tough Utah winters. My only complaints are the interior could be a bit more exciting (esp dash), but I think they did address that in later models. Stock wheels are a joke (mine BENT the first year on small potholes) but just replaced them w/better looking one. Overall, a great car with far more pep than you'd think

Smooth shifting, fun to drive, comfortable seats.

Wish it had a moonroof option(should've waited another model year), better wheels.

My second Sti- destruction of a fine car
By subdriver3

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I am dissapointed in my 2008 Sti. It drives like a stretched limo compared to my former STI Sedan. Frankly, I am sorry I bought it. My previous Sedan STi was undoubtely the most fun, sensitive, firey driving experience I ever had. I looked forward to driving it every day and it was a magical experience. It was like a wild horse at my finger tips. This 2008 limo has been destroyed by Subaru in my opinion. Its acceleration, handling, ride almost feel like an ordinary car. It is boring. I wish I had spent less money and bought the WRX from what I hear. On the other hand, it is, for me, a reliable, stable luxury car of a draft horse that can handle the altitude of Colorado.

Nice , slow, stable feel. You know it won't let you down.

Bring back the 2006 characteristics of the firey Sedan as much as possible. Add an option to stop fishtailing on sharp acceleration and turning as an option.

Surprisingly fun
By bloovis

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car replaced a beloved 2001 VW Golf GLS 1.8t. I was hoping to find something as fun and comfortable as the VW, but with AWD to get me up our steep Vermont hills in winter in the places where the VW failed to make progress. The Outback Sport has turned out to be much more entertaining than I expected. It doesn't have quite the zip of the VW turbo, but it's plenty fast. The biggest surprise was the excellent steering and handling: quite an improvement over the somewhat squishy VW. The next biggest surprise was the fuel economy; I'm getting 28 on average, and as high as 32 on some off-freeway road trips.

Excellent handling, fairly responsive engine, AWD, decent fuel economy, heated seats, good legroom for tall driver.

As others have noted, the passenger seat is a bit low. I also miss the telescoping steering wheel and sunroof of my old VW. The VW also had galvanized steel body panels, so I'm sure the Subaru will rust out sooner. The external styling isn't quite as clean as the VW, but it's an improvement over the previous generation of Impreza. However, all of this is nitpicking since this generation is due to be replaced in a few months.

Nice car but...
By oak6

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just returned this car off lease at 30k. The deal was too good to pass up: $199/mo. Reliability was excellent: no issues. I went through 3 Syracuse winters on M+S tires with no driving problems. That said, I was happy to be rid of the car. Engine noise is excessive and there is annoying vibration at over 2500rpm. Highway speed in 5th gear is about 2700rpm; get the picture? I test drove other Subes and all had the same issue. The boxers in the engine really go at it at high rpm. This car will accelerate briskly but that means high rpm. Who needs the beating. Great car at 200rpm which means 45mph. Homely. 27-30mpg (70% highway) duration of my ownership

Ran 30k with only routine maintenance. Smooth transmission. Comfortable front seating. Satisfactory A to B car in a snowy climate. (Probably the important factors for the Sube love crowd.)

Needs much better engine vibration control over 2500rpm. Noisy at highway speeds. Limited fun to drive factor. Trunk lid closing arms intrude into the trunk: great for crushing items. I have always heard that people either love or hate Subarus. You may put two check marks in the "Hate" column.

Do not purchase this car!
By webbie304

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my wife new in 2008. We test drove the car and liked it. It is a good driving car, and thats all. We have had back to the dealer several times. Everything from the struts, sway bar bushings. Had to replace the brakes a little over a year of driving it. We live in an area with alot of snow, and the AWD is not very good. Only two wheels will spin at a time, one front and one opposite rear. There is no traction control what so ever. Save your money!