2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
LOVE my WRX
By lilhoot on 10/04/12 15:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2008 brand new when I graduated college. I'd been in a few older ones and knew how fun they were, but the 2008+ model years really add a touch of comfort and practicality whereas the previous models just felt slightly cheap. It is a blast to drive and anyone who I've let behind the wheel has fallen in love with it. The AWD has exceeded my expectations in the our tough Utah winters. My only complaints are the interior could be a bit more exciting (esp dash), but I think they did address that in later models. Stock wheels are a joke (mine BENT the first year on small potholes) but just replaced them w/better looking one. Overall, a great car with far more pep than you'd think

My second Sti- destruction of a fine car
By subdriver3 on 09/29/11 20:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I am dissapointed in my 2008 Sti. It drives like a stretched limo compared to my former STI Sedan. Frankly, I am sorry I bought it. My previous Sedan STi was undoubtely the most fun, sensitive, firey driving experience I ever had. I looked forward to driving it every day and it was a magical experience. It was like a wild horse at my finger tips. This 2008 limo has been destroyed by Subaru in my opinion. Its acceleration, handling, ride almost feel like an ordinary car. It is boring. I wish I had spent less money and bought the WRX from what I hear. On the other hand, it is, for me, a reliable, stable luxury car of a draft horse that can handle the altitude of Colorado.

Surprisingly fun
By bloovis on 06/14/11 08:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car replaced a beloved 2001 VW Golf GLS 1.8t. I was hoping to find something as fun and comfortable as the VW, but with AWD to get me up our steep Vermont hills in winter in the places where the VW failed to make progress. The Outback Sport has turned out to be much more entertaining than I expected. It doesn't have quite the zip of the VW turbo, but it's plenty fast. The biggest surprise was the excellent steering and handling: quite an improvement over the somewhat squishy VW. The next biggest surprise was the fuel economy; I'm getting 28 on average, and as high as 32 on some off-freeway road trips.

Nice car but...
By oak6 on 06/12/11 05:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just returned this car off lease at 30k. The deal was too good to pass up: $199/mo. Reliability was excellent: no issues. I went through 3 Syracuse winters on M+S tires with no driving problems. That said, I was happy to be rid of the car. Engine noise is excessive and there is annoying vibration at over 2500rpm. Highway speed in 5th gear is about 2700rpm; get the picture? I test drove other Subes and all had the same issue. The boxers in the engine really go at it at high rpm. This car will accelerate briskly but that means high rpm. Who needs the beating. Great car at 200rpm which means 45mph. Homely. 27-30mpg (70% highway) duration of my ownership

Do not purchase this car!
By webbie304 on 01/16/11 13:23 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my wife new in 2008. We test drove the car and liked it. It is a good driving car, and thats all. We have had back to the dealer several times. Everything from the struts, sway bar bushings. Had to replace the brakes a little over a year of driving it. We live in an area with alot of snow, and the AWD is not very good. Only two wheels will spin at a time, one front and one opposite rear. There is no traction control what so ever. Save your money!

A great car, ruined by Subaru
By bensti on 12/17/10 22:56 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Gold BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my first Subaru. I bought it as a CPO with 19k miles on it. About 1300mi after buying it, the MAF sensor failed, then at 3k miles, the engine spun a rod bearing and failed, got a new engine which was broken in properly and then failed from another cracked piston 5kmi later. Oh, and did I mention that it sat in the shop waiting for Subaru to get off their asses and fix it for over a month each time. On top of that, the transmission has begun to have issues, like it won't go into 1st gear without a horrible grind, the dealer says it is "Not a major problem"! Headlights failed, rear diff failed, clutch failed due to bad work from the dealer, and the car is still broken Buy an Evo

The ugliest of the ugly duckling
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For a WRX fan, the 08 is the one to stay away from. I am now at 41k miles and cannot hand this lease back in fast enough. The suspension is too soft with an intense amount of body roll, though the ride comfort is much improved (IMO leave that for the Impreza owners, not the WRX). The interior is clean but uninspiring with hard plastic everywhere. Throttle response is slow and the traction/abs systems are intrusive. Exterior styling speaks for itself. The sound system is close to the quality of a cell phone speaker in a tin can. Hatch boom is very prevalent. The AWD system in the snow is the only reason I gave FtD category an 8 but the OE RE050's leave a lot to be desired in all conditions.

3rd Subie
By nsky on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought a used 2008 with high miles to replace an aging Mazda B truck. I also compared a few 2006-2007 models, but no WRX's in the same price range. The 06-07's were much more fun to drive- more connected to the road. The 08 is much quieter and smoother like a "grown-up" car as my wife put it ( she drives an Outback, which we LOVE) I'm a sporty driver with a heavy foot, and the gas mileage is OK- about 23 for urban- suburban commuting, quite often in bumper to bumper. If you want a gas sipper, look elsewhere. If you want AWD security, your're in the right place. 35 MPG is useless if you can't get out of the driveway.

Pleasant car to drive
By Tom on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Sat Radio, Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is very quiet, nothing like the rattle box my wife's Focus is. Engine is very quiet, that my wife can't hear it well, and try to restart it twice. I don't like the abs at times as it kick in prematurely, but most time it is quiet. The interesting "safety" feature about the car is that if you forget to tighten your gas cap well, or if any glitches occur in the engine or drive train - the Cruise control light flashes, check engine light goes on, and the traction control light goes on. This scared the jeepers out of me at first - but it is an important safety feature to protect the engine. You can buy a code reader for $20 or take to action auto for the code to be read.

Perfect pass
By SpeedyPetey14 on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Driving the STI is an unmatched experience, especially. l compared to the Impreza w/o turbo. I previously owned an Impreza Outback Sport and always craved something more, the STI gave me that and then some. The SI drive and center differential settings are a great way to "customize" your driving experience every time you jump in. It's truly a Rocky Mountain toy.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.