2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2007 Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Sort Reviews by

190,000 Mile Update
By fandango

2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car since new -- almost 7 years now. Repairs included replacement of a bad transmission bearing (covered by extended warranty) and a leaking head gasket. Otherwise it has needed only routine things like a battery, brake pads and struts (at 150,000 miles). It burns some oil. For quite some time, I have had to add a quart between oil changes. Otherwise it still handles very well and looks good, inside and out, despite frequent trips on dirt roads, including some pretty rough and steep 4WD roads. I still really enjoy driving this car, especially when the roads are twisty, and am glad I bought it.

Favorite Features

Visibility of surroundings, great handling, AWD, good tire life/wear, nice looks, fun power-to-weight, simple no-frills controls.

Suggested Improvements

The radio/sound system is pretty lousy, and it buzzes when the headlights are on. Center console doesn't work as an am rest, too low and too far back.

Has serious mechanical problems
By phil_motor

2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

In my experience (I've owned 20+ vehicles in 38 years) this Subaru has serious engine problems that the dealers and Subaru of America do not acknowledge. Expect to have your head gaskets replace (~$2000) on your own dime once the 60,000 mile warranty expires.

Favorite Features

body style is nice

Suggested Improvements

develop a reliable engine that does not regularly need major work.

A great little car!
By hepsuba

2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 7th Subaru. My oldest was a 1978 and my newest was a 2009, from little 4WD wagons to Outbacks. This is my second Impreza (previous one was a '98). I have to say, of all the Subarus I've owned, this one may be my favorite. I love it's simplicity and its great handling, power, and design. It's what I call very "point and shoot" -the car goes where you want it to when you want it to. Visibility and responsiveness are wonderful. The cabin is simple yet has everything you need. And as others have commented, it's the last of the truly good looking Impreza's. The small size is great - park it wherever you want, squeeze into traffic, no problem. A great little car.

Favorite Features

Handling Responsiveness Power Comfort

165,000 mile update
By fandango

2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At 150,000 a head gasket was leaking. This repair cost about $2,500, which included grinding the valves while the heads were off and replacing the water pump and timing belt. Unfortunately, this is a fairly common repair for Subarus. The car is still fun to drive. It has a great power/weight ratio. I still think of this as my "new car," and it looks and feels new despite some hard use. The car is rugged built to last.

Favorite Features

Great handling, visibility and simple controls.

Suggested Improvements

They could have put a better radio in it, it buzzes when the headlights are on.

Awsome car
By jdvozz72

Love the car!

Favorite Features

Looks good and is still fairly quick for a non turbo.

Suggested Improvements

Radio is Very basic! Also Subaru doesnt put out many SPT performance parts for it.

Love this car!
By jomr

2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After one too many expensive problems with my Volkswagen VR6 I decided to trade it in for a Subaru. My first car was an '87 Subaru wagon. She wasn't much too look at and completely gutless but she was reliable. I found a used 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan and took the car to my mechanic for a thorough check up. All it needed was an air filter and new battery. Although it doesn't have the V6 5-speed of my old VW it has more power than I expected from a 4 cylinder. I love the growl of the boxer engine and it handles great. This car has turned out to be just as fun to drive and far more reliable. I can't imagine owning another VW or ever not owning a Subaru again!

Favorite Features

Love the reliablity of Subaru! The All-Wheel-Drive handles perfectly in snow and ice. Never have to worry about being stranded on the side of the road.

Suggested Improvements

Rear seats do not fold down allowing extension of trunk space. Back seats are a little cramped.

Not quite a 944 Turbo, but that's alright with me
By khalils

2007 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2007 WRX Wagon replaced a 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo. I wanted a car that was a well-rounded and sporty daily driver but with all season reliability, better utility, and lower maintenance costs. The WRX does not have the handling prowess, balance, and speed of the Porsche. In spite of too much weight forward, it a taut handling car and fun to drive in the twisties. Its good in snow, gets decent gas mileage, and has yet to have any mechanical problems whatsoever after 31k miles. I am extremely satisfied with the car. I dumped the RE-92s that came stock on the car and mounted some decent rubber, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. That made a big, positive difference.

Favorite Features

Turbocharged engine and AWD are great in the mountains. Functional utility of the wagon design, short wheelbase, taught suspension, free revving boxer engine. With a dedicated set of real snows, not much short of a snowdrift can stop it.

Suggested Improvements

Reverse gear can be balky. Interior is a little tinny and could be more refined. Shortly after buying the car, the cruise control stalk developed a loose buzzing that was not fixed. It drives me nuts and is usually fixed with a rubber band. Not the car's best feature.

It Imprezzed Me
By alexander323

2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought a used version of the vehicle with only 12,000 miles on it. I really like its fuel efficiency and AWD capability. This car has better gas mileage than my old Jeep Grand Cherokee and has a reputation of being more reliable. The Impreza can do most everything my Jeep can do just in a more compact lighter size.

Favorite Features

I liked the storage capacity underneath the trunk and the design and shape of the captain's chairs. Since the version of the Impreza that I have is the most basic there's not a lot of features on car.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the height of the center console. It's too low and when you rest your elbow on it your shoulders lean inward. Resting your elbow on the center console for too long strews up your posture and can irritate your back. The other improvement to the vehicle I would suggest is a overhead light above the trunk. I am caught using the light on my cell phone to try to find a particular item in my trunk that's not illuminated by the interior light. It also could use an auxiliary hookup for an Ipod

Crashed with no scratches!
By Mo

2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car was great maintenance and reliability wise, I live in a mountainous region with ice, snow, and potholes. Then we crashed it going 50 mph into a stopped vehicle with no scratches on our bodies. The car was totaled. Definitely buying another Subaru!

Favorite Features

handling, maneuverability, look, safety.

Suggested Improvements

Uncomfortable seats! more foot room in the back seat.

90,000 mile update - Tranny Problem
By Fandango

2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At about 75,000 miles, I began to notice a whine/rattle in the manual transmission and, when it kept getting louder, took it in to the dealer a few thousand miles later. It turned out to be a pitted output shaft bearing. The repair cost about $1200 but was fortunately covered by the extended warranty, which, with a road hazard tire replacement earlier, has now paid off about what I paid for it. So far, the transmission bearing has been the only mechanical problem. After 90,000 miles, I still love to drive this car. It's just fun. It still reminds me of a British sports car in its simplicity. Now consistently getting 28-30 mpg highway mileage.

Favorite Features

Great road visibility/sight lines, engine power, AWD, handling, simple/traditional cockpit controls.

Suggested Improvements

Stock basic sound system hums when the headlights are on. A/C inadequate on very hot days. Heater doesn't project heat all the way down to the floorboards when it's cold, so you'll have warm shins and cold feet.