Has serious mechanical problems
By phil_motor on
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
In my experience (I've owned 20+ vehicles in 38 years) this Subaru has serious engine problems that the dealers and Subaru of America do not acknowledge. Expect to have your head gaskets replace (~$2000) on your own dime once the 60,000 mile warranty expires.
Favorite Features
body style is nice
Suggested Improvements
develop a reliable engine that does not regularly need major work.
By snowchick187
on 11/14/14 11:36 AM (PST)

I am living proof of this problem. At 70,000 miles my Subaru Outback Impreza needed a new Short Block Engine. Luckily my warranty was up to 75,000 miles. I am now at 145,000 miles and I need a new Short Block Engine again. They told me that when they replaced the engine at 70,000 miles they only gave me a 36,000 mile/ 3 year warranty on the new engine. Of course the engine went out at 70,000 miles just like the first time. I just paid this car off and now I have to either replace the engine or sell the car. $20,000 down the drain. I will never buy from Subaru again. Thought I was buying a reliable car to last. Nope! My friend has a 2003 Subaru Forester and at 100,000 miles he had to have his Short Block Replaced also. Looks like this is a pattern! I thought Subaru's were reliable, guess it is like playing the lottery maybe you will get a good one maybe you will need a new engine. Ugh!