2007 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews

2007 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

2007 Impreza Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
190,000 Mile Update
By fandango

2007 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car since new -- almost 7 years now. Repairs included replacement of a bad transmission bearing (covered by extended warranty) and a leaking head gasket. Otherwise it has needed only routine things like a battery, brake pads and struts (at 150,000 miles). It burns some oil. For quite some time, I have had to add a quart between oil changes. Otherwise it still handles very well and looks good, inside and out, despite frequent trips on dirt roads, including some pretty rough and steep 4WD roads. I still really enjoy driving this car, especially when the roads are twisty, and am glad I bought it.

Favorite Features

Visibility of surroundings, great handling, AWD, good tire life/wear, nice looks, fun power-to-weight, simple no-frills controls.

Suggested Improvements

The radio/sound system is pretty lousy, and it buzzes when the headlights are on. Center console doesn't work as an am rest, too low and too far back.

A great little car!
By hepsuba

2007 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 7th Subaru. My oldest was a 1978 and my newest was a 2009, from little 4WD wagons to Outbacks. This is my second Impreza (previous one was a '98). I have to say, of all the Subarus I've owned, this one may be my favorite. I love it's simplicity and its great handling, power, and design. It's what I call very "point and shoot" -the car goes where you want it to when you want it to. Visibility and responsiveness are wonderful. The cabin is simple yet has everything you need. And as others have commented, it's the last of the truly good looking Impreza's. The small size is great - park it wherever you want, squeeze into traffic, no problem. A great little car.

Favorite Features

Handling Responsiveness Power Comfort

165,000 mile update
By fandango

2007 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At 150,000 a head gasket was leaking. This repair cost about $2,500, which included grinding the valves while the heads were off and replacing the water pump and timing belt. Unfortunately, this is a fairly common repair for Subarus. The car is still fun to drive. It has a great power/weight ratio. I still think of this as my "new car," and it looks and feels new despite some hard use. The car is rugged built to last.

Favorite Features

Great handling, visibility and simple controls.

Suggested Improvements

They could have put a better radio in it, it buzzes when the headlights are on.

Awsome car
By jdvozz72

Love the car!

Favorite Features

Looks good and is still fairly quick for a non turbo.

Suggested Improvements

Radio is Very basic! Also Subaru doesnt put out many SPT performance parts for it.

Love this car!
By jomr

2007 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After one too many expensive problems with my Volkswagen VR6 I decided to trade it in for a Subaru. My first car was an '87 Subaru wagon. She wasn't much too look at and completely gutless but she was reliable. I found a used 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan and took the car to my mechanic for a thorough check up. All it needed was an air filter and new battery. Although it doesn't have the V6 5-speed of my old VW it has more power than I expected from a 4 cylinder. I love the growl of the boxer engine and it handles great. This car has turned out to be just as fun to drive and far more reliable. I can't imagine owning another VW or ever not owning a Subaru again!

Favorite Features

Love the reliablity of Subaru! The All-Wheel-Drive handles perfectly in snow and ice. Never have to worry about being stranded on the side of the road.

Suggested Improvements

Rear seats do not fold down allowing extension of trunk space. Back seats are a little cramped.

Crashed with no scratches!
By Mo

2007 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car was great maintenance and reliability wise, I live in a mountainous region with ice, snow, and potholes. Then we crashed it going 50 mph into a stopped vehicle with no scratches on our bodies. The car was totaled. Definitely buying another Subaru!

Favorite Features

handling, maneuverability, look, safety.

Suggested Improvements

Uncomfortable seats! more foot room in the back seat.

90,000 mile update - Tranny Problem
By Fandango

2007 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At about 75,000 miles, I began to notice a whine/rattle in the manual transmission and, when it kept getting louder, took it in to the dealer a few thousand miles later. It turned out to be a pitted output shaft bearing. The repair cost about $1200 but was fortunately covered by the extended warranty, which, with a road hazard tire replacement earlier, has now paid off about what I paid for it. So far, the transmission bearing has been the only mechanical problem. After 90,000 miles, I still love to drive this car. It's just fun. It still reminds me of a British sports car in its simplicity. Now consistently getting 28-30 mpg highway mileage.

Favorite Features

Great road visibility/sight lines, engine power, AWD, handling, simple/traditional cockpit controls.

Suggested Improvements

Stock basic sound system hums when the headlights are on. A/C inadequate on very hot days. Heater doesn't project heat all the way down to the floorboards when it's cold, so you'll have warm shins and cold feet.

Sturdy Build and a Fun to drive
By Scubado

2007 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

No issues whatsoever since purchase. Ride or Slide this car and it is always ready for more.The AWD does it job and it is especially evident after driving other FWD cars in its class. The real kick comes beyond 3500 rpm when the boxer starts to scream. The mechanical build more than makes up for the bare minimum interior. Getting an avg 22-24mpg 50%city 50% hwy.

Favorite Features

Boxer, AWD, LSD, Spartan interior helps focus on enjoying the drive.

Suggested Improvements

Need a sixth gear to reduce RPM at hwy speeds; Otherwise mileage comes to 18-20mpg Suspension could be a little more stiff.

A better SAAB...?
By Doug

2007 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

3rd Impreza, 5th Subaru. A sports sedan with SUBSTANCE. Subaru AWD has pulled us through winter whiteouts (even with the performance Bridgestone RE-92 tires) when 4wd pickups and SUVs were all over the place. Solid construction--some of that vault-like feel of the Europeans, without the disappointments. Love the Alfa-esque styling; my "hog-nose" the last of the good-looking Imprezas before Subaru began taking their styling cues from the Koreans. More than adequate power & handling for my needs from base 2.5i. Instrument layout, gauge lighting superb. Quirky enough to start a cult-following, yet reliable to keep those of us on a budget coming back for more. A better SAAB? Just MAYBE...

Favorite Features

RELIABLE--potential for MANY miles. Solid build quality. Interior and exterior design. That boxer growl!!! Acceptable economy from a 3,200lb car with AWD. Confidence-inspiring handling. Superb traction. Standard alloy wheels and 4-wheel disc brakes. Won't be mistaken for anything else on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats too firm. Side bolsters nicer if seat was about 2 inches wider. AC a little asthmatic when the temps reach the 90s. Paint in all my Subies chips easily. Low front air dam ragged from steep driveways. CHEAP carpet. TOUGH to change cabin air filter--take a lesson from Toyota, Subaru!

70,000 mile update
By Fandango

2007 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've put more than 70,000 miles on this car, and I still love getting into it and snicking through the gears, zipping through the twisties and feeling the power as I explore the upper range of the RPMs. I've had no mechanical problems whatsoever, and, believe it or not, I'm only now getting ready to replace the original set of Bridgestone tires. The car consistently gets 29-32 mpg. With its simple, almost primitive features and great handling, it reminds me of an old British sports car. It was made for people who love to drive.

Favorite Features

Power, gas mileage, handling, fun factor, simple cockpit, upright seating, great sightlines, AWD traction.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap original equipment radio hums when the lights are on, and seat comfort for a long-legged guy isn't the greatest. A/C is marginal on really hot days.