2006 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: WRX STi still a contender

2006 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

2.5 i Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

WRX STi still a contender
By vallor on

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've been driving this beast since February. The all-wheel drive both improves handling, as well as more stable footing in snow and ice...nice, if you cross the Sierras sometimes in the winter, as I do. This machine is rally-inspired, and it shows. It took a little while to get used to the rear wing -- but you know, I'm seeing other auto manufacturers adding big rectangular wings to their offerings, too...so it's suddenly "trendsetting", heh. Finally, I can't stress enough the value of having performance tires on this vehicle -- almost always, it is its tires that are the performance bottleneck. I've shod my STi with Kumho ASX, which seemed good compromise for performance and winter driving.

All wheel drive, exceptional power, excellent handling. I'm told that the STi has had the roof strengthened for rollcage protection, but I haven't investigated it yet. Finally: the boxer engine removes almost all torque issues when accelerating.

Whatever Mitsu is doing with the Evo. Squared. Also: would be nice if dealer set suspension up for driving style of buyer. Mechanical improvements: I can't think of any -- it is what it is. The Kumho ASX tires quiet the ride down a bit from the stock Potenzas...the ride is a bit stiff, too.