Used 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Too much fun
By Leif_in_seattle

2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Iíve been driving my WRX wagon for about two weeks now and Iím more impressed with it every day. The overall road feel and driver interface is amazing. Steering is precise, and acceleration is exhilarating, even before the turbo kicks in. Previous versions of the WRX were plagued by a pronounced turbo lag and lame torque at lower RPMs, but the new 2.5L engine in the í06 distributes power across a much wider band. It still jumps at 3500-4000 RPMs when the turbo kicks in, but itís quicker off the line with a much smoother transition into the turbo burst, resulting in a more even, muscular acceleration. The AWD enables it to handle great on all surfaces and under all conditions.

Favorite Features

This car is not for everyone, but for those seeking an under $25k ride that provides thrilling performance, AWD capability and day to day practicality it would be tough to do better than the Impreza WRX wagon. Best features: Handling, acceleration, AWD, appearance, small wagon practicality.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise, fuel economy, insurance cost, no iPod input, no sunroof available (except with Limited model).

Best Bang for the Buck
By Mikey Mike

2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have only owned the car for 1 week as of today and I am very impressed. I am trading down from an Audi TT roadster 225hp (lease). I don't even consider it trading down, since the Subaru out performs my Audi (seriously). I purchased the car as a 2006 left over so I got a great deal on it ($21,000). If you are looking to buy a sports car with the functionality of a wagon look no further. 0-60mph in the low to mid 5 second range in for under $25k...enough said. I am so happy with this car.

Favorite Features

Acceleration! Handles well.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo needs to be upgraded and interior is very plain and there is a little body roll, but I can't complain because it more than makes up for it in all-around performance.

10 months
By subisubi

2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

No real problems to date. The car handles really well in the snow. I live Mammoth lakes, CA, and we had over 600 inches of snow this past winter. Make sure there is extra weight when in winter conditions, because the car is pretty light. I got 31 mpg sometimes on roadtrips, and never less than 25 mpg.

Favorite Features

AWD, good mileage, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

iPod/mp3 player adapter. I don't use the 6 disc changer much.

I Love My Suby.
By JSenak

2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Off-Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the second Subaru I have owned and I love íem. The AWD system is awesome and the handling is quite fun. The body does roll a bit around curves, but once you figure out the balance and how to shift the weight, it is smooth. I love the power and the performance as well as the practicality of a wagon. I like the new look of the 06's, however many other cars out there have a similar front end, and although there is a lot of space inside, it feels kind of cramped. The gears are a bit ruff at times and shifting into reverse is stiff.

Favorite Features

The handling of an AWD car always surprises me. It can corner easily and takes some curves better than other front and rear drive cars I have driven. I also like the gauges and display layout.

Suggested Improvements

Something to improve upon would be the interior. It has a lot of space but feels cramped. Iím a short person and not very big, but even I feel like everything wraps around me. Another thing to look at would be the manual transmission. It feels kind Ďa ruff getting it into gear sometimes.

All around driving enjoyment
By jim wightman

I enjoy driving this car. We travel between Canada and Texas twice a year so our driving entails two very long high speed trips and then mostly driving around town. Excellent car for both driving types. Smooth, good cornering, pretty quiet, good gas mileage. Seats could be more comfortable. Front spoiler scrapes easily. As mentioned previously, first gear acceleration is not adequate unless rpm is high prior to clutch engagement. Some sign of early interior wear. First gear jerky at low speed.

Favorite Features

Driving fun at moderate cost. Does lots of things well.

Suggested Improvements

Seats, first gear acceleration, paint chipping on front spoiler/bumper. For noisy roof rack, try installing spoilers opposite factory instructions/thin edge forward.