Used 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Car Lover
By Blake

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my STi in November and I love it! Where can you get a car that goes 0-60 in 4.5 secs for less than $30,000. I traded a 06' Eclipse since it wasn't fast enough and didn't have AWD. The STi is the best car I have had and I have been through 3 in the last 3 years. I think the STi has the potential to be one of the fastest cars on the road if tuned and hooked up properly. I want at least 500hp and 475lbs of torque when all sudden done. The STi is a lean mean killing machine when it comes to acceleration and performance. Would not trade it in for nothing, oh and ah the EVO rode to shift and where else can you get a 6 spoke clutch from a stock car! Sorry EVO lovers but STI rules!

AWD, the wing of course, acceleration, handling, easy shifting, great in the snow, at least it has cruise control (the EVO doesn't, the looks, wheels)l.

Two ac/dc adapters instead of one, more power, and maybe a slick body kit with lowering springs to hide some wheel gap!

WRX STi still a contender
By vallor

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've been driving this beast since February. The all-wheel drive both improves handling, as well as more stable footing in snow and ice...nice, if you cross the Sierras sometimes in the winter, as I do. This machine is rally-inspired, and it shows. It took a little while to get used to the rear wing -- but you know, I'm seeing other auto manufacturers adding big rectangular wings to their offerings, too...so it's suddenly "trendsetting", heh. Finally, I can't stress enough the value of having performance tires on this vehicle -- almost always, it is its tires that are the performance bottleneck. I've shod my STi with Kumho ASX, which seemed good compromise for performance and winter driving.

All wheel drive, exceptional power, excellent handling. I'm told that the STi has had the roof strengthened for rollcage protection, but I haven't investigated it yet. Finally: the boxer engine removes almost all torque issues when accelerating.

Whatever Mitsu is doing with the Evo. Squared. Also: would be nice if dealer set suspension up for driving style of buyer. Mechanical improvements: I can't think of any -- it is what it is. The Kumho ASX tires quiet the ride down a bit from the stock Potenzas...the ride is a bit stiff, too.

2007 STI is a Very Nice Ride...
By John

This is my second Subaru in 3 years, and I am sold on these cars. I had a 05 WRX wagon prior to this, and I loved it. This car however is in a whole 'nother league. Everything has been tightened up, and it handles like it's on rails. Of course with handling you give up comfort, but who cares. For a bone stock car this thing is really fast. I can see why this thing hangs with M3's. It's no slouch.. The Brembo brakes are a huge improvement over my WRX. Mileage around town stinks, but on the freeway it is not bad (around 25 @ 80). Stereo stinks, but I have a double din nav that is going in shortly. Only complaint is the wing. Not a big fan. Plus, cops and idiots seem to be drawn to it.

Xion lights, Brembo brakes. 6 speed, 300 HP.

Stock stereo is a joke. Smaller rear wing. M+S tire option at purchase.

Happy Owner
By Josh

When I first purchased my STi it was perfect. Now 6 months later I can't get enough. This is the first vehicle I ever owned which made me not want to go home and park it. It's very satisfying, very addicting and is better than a drink at the end of a hard work day. Not a dull moment. Believe it or not, I am a family man whose family enjoys going everywhere in it.

AC is great with climate control always on. Fairly quiet ride even though the car is permanently glued to the road. The engine sounds mean when idling with stock exhaust. I really enjoy getting 29 MPG with cruise control on at 68 MPH and 300 HP to boot.

The factory should tint the back three windows to reduce tailgater glare. Needs better intercooling during 100 degree summer months.

My car went boom
By STigoesboom

I buy cars to race and to tune them. I have worked on Lambo's to Kia's. My brother owns a shop in Delaware where I do all of my work and dyno tuning. I was very surprised when then engine practically blew up with minor tuning (nothing internal and factory turbo). After talking with other people who have tried this seems to be a common occurrence. My suggestion... buy the car if you want a fairly quick car that is going to be left stock. You want to tune your car and make it special to you...buy something else.

A good car straight off the block. The second spoiler was a needed improvement.

Subaru knows most people are going to do minor tuning...make the engine so it can take a little more power. If not, have options you can get from the factory with a factory warranty!