2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Car Lover
By Blake on 12/06/06 19:25 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my STi in November and I love it! Where can you get a car that goes 0-60 in 4.5 secs for less than $30,000. I traded a 06' Eclipse since it wasn't fast enough and didn't have AWD. The STi is the best car I have had and I have been through 3 in the last 3 years. I think the STi has the potential to be one of the fastest cars on the road if tuned and hooked up properly. I want at least 500hp and 475lbs of torque when all sudden done. The STi is a lean mean killing machine when it comes to acceleration and performance. Would not trade it in for nothing, oh and ah the EVO rode to shift and where else can you get a 6 spoke clutch from a stock car! Sorry EVO lovers but STI rules!

WRX STi still a contender
By vallor on 11/21/06 18:10 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've been driving this beast since February. The all-wheel drive both improves handling, as well as more stable footing in snow and ice...nice, if you cross the Sierras sometimes in the winter, as I do. This machine is rally-inspired, and it shows. It took a little while to get used to the rear wing -- but you know, I'm seeing other auto manufacturers adding big rectangular wings to their offerings, too...so it's suddenly "trendsetting", heh. Finally, I can't stress enough the value of having performance tires on this vehicle -- almost always, it is its tires that are the performance bottleneck. I've shod my STi with Kumho ASX, which seemed good compromise for performance and winter driving.

2007 STI is a Very Nice Ride...
By John on 11/08/06 11:14 AM (PST)

This is my second Subaru in 3 years, and I am sold on these cars. I had a 05 WRX wagon prior to this, and I loved it. This car however is in a whole 'nother league. Everything has been tightened up, and it handles like it's on rails. Of course with handling you give up comfort, but who cares. For a bone stock car this thing is really fast. I can see why this thing hangs with M3's. It's no slouch.. The Brembo brakes are a huge improvement over my WRX. Mileage around town stinks, but on the freeway it is not bad (around 25 @ 80). Stereo stinks, but I have a double din nav that is going in shortly. Only complaint is the wing. Not a big fan. Plus, cops and idiots seem to be drawn to it.

Happy Owner
By Josh on 11/04/06 14:37 PM (PST)

When I first purchased my STi it was perfect. Now 6 months later I can't get enough. This is the first vehicle I ever owned which made me not want to go home and park it. It's very satisfying, very addicting and is better than a drink at the end of a hard work day. Not a dull moment. Believe it or not, I am a family man whose family enjoys going everywhere in it.

My car went boom
By STigoesboom on 09/20/06 05:31 AM (PDT)

I buy cars to race and to tune them. I have worked on Lambo's to Kia's. My brother owns a shop in Delaware where I do all of my work and dyno tuning. I was very surprised when then engine practically blew up with minor tuning (nothing internal and factory turbo). After talking with other people who have tried this seems to be a common occurrence. My suggestion... buy the car if you want a fairly quick car that is going to be left stock. You want to tune your car and make it special to you...buy something else.

Incredible Car!
By Charlie on 09/14/06 02:00 AM (PDT)

I have only had the car for about 1500 miles, but already I am absolutely in love. The car handles incredibly well and accelerates like, like well it's got 300hp! Big brakes, driving it is similar to flying a F-16 with license plates. I am now 100% sure that I will always own a Subaru, great build quality, AWD, reliability, this is the car company that is truly a diamond in the rough. Nothing holds a candle to this car company. I would recommend a test drive of at least the WRX, just to get a taste of what comes when you decide that the extra $9000 is worth it.

The Ultimate Car For Mountain Residents
By STier on 08/31/06 17:47 PM (PDT)

I live in the mountains of Southern California and I couldn't imagine that there is a car better suited for me. I've had this car for a year now and have had absolutely no problems with it. The car has insane power. Very comfortable and smooth on the freeway. The biggest bonus for me though, is that you can drive this car in snow! I've driven up to Big Bear with literally 3.5 ft. of snow on the ground without a single slip, no chains needed! This is the ultimate car to have if you live in the mountains.

Wow. Just wow.
By Matt on 08/27/06 19:42 PM (PDT)

I traded up from a VW GTi VR6, and I am just stunned at how powerful a machine the STi is. The VR6 was no slouch, but the STi is a sports car, not a "sporty car". The acceleration is brutal (in a good way), and can keep up with a BMW M3 and most Porsches. While people get caught up in the acceleration numbers (Car and Driver drove a stock STi from 0-60 in 4.6 seconds), it's the handling that sold me. Tight, responsive, you always feel in control of the car. It's true the ride is a bit noisy and stiff, with minimal comforts (the GTi felt more luxurious), but one test drive sold me. I thought the expression "it puts a smile on my face" was a cliche until I drove an STi.

BOXER GOES WILD
By KEVIN on 08/03/06 20:46 PM (PDT)

I was looking for an 05 used but #1, I couldn't find one locally and #2, was concerned with previous treatment such a car might receive. So I had pretty much given up the idea. Then I test drove a used 06. WOW I just could not believe what I was doing with this car. My family has owned Subes for 20 years and none of them were any thing like this. I just could not contain my enthusiasm. I drove past the dealership twice before the salesman made me turn in, it was 3 hours later though. We couldn't agree on price so I was left yearning for that smile the STi plastered on my face. Then I bought a new black STi. As my wife says "I love my car"

Finally
By jagboypotts on 07/10/06 18:36 PM (PDT)

I moved to the US 2 years ago and have bought 7 cars since. A Porsche 911 was impressive, a 2006 GTi lasted 3 months, various other boring stuff. An '05 Legacy gave me a hint of what I really needed. The STi is a average motorwar car, it uses more fuel than I expected. It's also everything a sports car should be, effective, fun, fast and makes you want to get in and drive just for the joy of it. Unlike the 911 you don't need to worry all the time, SUVs don't cut you off for fun, you just sit in your blue and pink world and smile at the sheer joy of a sorted chassis and engine that sounds like its CD would go platinum. As for when the snow comes. LOVE IT.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.