Used 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

What mean gas mileage??
By BAIC AW STI

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is everything that I expected and much more. Sure this car is nearly 2x the HP of any previous car I've owned, also the first AWD vehicle. But it drives just like I wanted my dream car to be, after many years it's finally mine! I was and still remained so thrilled to get and own it. Acceleration, cornering, braking - all top notch for just over $30K.

Favorite Features

Boost is addictive. Acceleration at just the push of the pedal, at any legal speed (and more). Never thought a car could stay stuck in turns at the speed I took them through!

Suggested Improvements

Make the boy-racer wing an option (besides the Limited!). (Got my first speeding ticket in this cop magnet.) 2007 addressed the mpg concern. Any way to fix the steering column thunk/rattle during hard cornering?

The drag strip will clear any doubt.
By elliot

Rev it up to 7K RPM, dump the clutch and everybody will have to play catch up including some modified cars. I had my doubts of its performance, but a trip to the local drag strip took care of it. I was highly impressed (13.4) of its performance for an unmodified car. It outperformed Evo, GTO, Mustang, Firebird, mod 350z, mod cobalt SS and several others; couldn't ask for more.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, braking, paint quality, good size trunk and turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Fold down rear seats, rear seat space, rear side curtain airbag.

Fun Car
By porkfarm

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I chose this over the EVO MR, because of the interior and the cruise control. I do have to admit that the EVO MR looked better from the outside; then again, I canít see the outside when I am driving. STi is definitely built for the fun/excitement factor, not for comfort. It took a few days for me get use to that much hp and turbo and control, but now, it puts a smile on my face every time I step into the car. This or the EVO probably are the best performance machines (ignoring the comfort) for a sub $40k purchase. Definitely a car to consider before having kids. Other cars I considered were G35, 330i, TL, IS350, GTO, Cobra, 350Z.

Favorite Features

The control, acceleration, excellent breaking, 6sp, HID, DCCD (never took it out of auto), IC water spray (never used it), brought fun and excitement to daily commute.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger gas tank (no problem on the gas mileage, but only 200 miles between each fill up is a bit tedious). Other than that, rest is expected from a high performance car: tires, gas, high maintenance cost, very high insurance, speeding tickets etc.

Gone, Sold, Amazed
By KJ

I am a 40 year old man who has brought several cars/trucks back from the dead to a better than stock finish. I have enjoyed the muscle cars of the late 60's mainly and several foreign cars & trucks. I can honestly say I have never driven a bone stock car or any of my creations or creations of my friends that just flat out amazed me. BUT THIS CAR DID. For the money I still can't believe how good this car goes and handles. I sometimes go back and look at the blacktop to verify I'm not picking it up off the ground. I love this car on back roads especially, we ave plenty of them in WV. I just wish they had some type of license here that if you passed the test you could drive as fast as you want.

Favorite Features

Speed, handling, power.

Suggested Improvements

Fold down rear seat, sound insulation stock.

Simply Amazing
By TheEnthusiast

This is simply an amazing car. The base line performance of it is enough to take to the track alone. Adding a few light mods such as a turbo-back exhaust and a BOV increase the performance surprisingly well. It's a car for someone who wants a rocket, and can handle it. Not for consumer influenced drivers who want a comfortable quiet ride. It pulls hard, and it sacrifices sound protection to lighten the car with a thin roof. Sound system is good in my opinion, yet it's hard to hear over the exhaust, I take pride in that. VERY fun to drive, handles well, accelerates hard, stops in no time. It generally makes me happy.

Favorite Features

Basically the performance driven design. All aspects of it are geared towards performance, which is how I like it.

Suggested Improvements

The front design isn't exactly pleasing compared with the '05's.