2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2006 Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Sort Reviews by

A great performer
By Nick

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned two STi's in the past 3 years. They are great cars. Both of mine are highly modified and can handle immense amounts of stress. The car is a great daily driver, comfortable, good mpg, amazing handling, and much more. This is a great car if you want to go play in the mud and then go beat up on some Corvettes. The next car with as great bang for the buck as the STi is the $70,000 Corvette Z06.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature would be the six speed transmission.

Head Turner
By 1lap2go

I love the AWD driving experience, coupled with the performance the STi delivers. It is a ball to drive. It's a fair weather car for me. I still have a lot of money in my pocket with a car that can dust off BMW's and the like with ease.

Favorite Features

I love the ability to adjust the level of the headlights. Light pattern is wide and lights up a large area out into the ditches.

Suggested Improvements

Charger outlet gets turned off when you shut the car off so you can't continue to charge your cell phone, for example. I have the short throw shifter and would like to see a better pattern that guides the shifter from 2nd to 3rd as I once in awhile go directly to 5th. Maybe I need the practice.

Is there anything this car can't do?
By Jvs04

Before this car I had a 2004 Subaru WRX. The car was modded to 340whp. I got tired of the suspension, brakes, and tranny so I decided to upgrade to an STI. Stock, I know this thing isn't as fast as my WRX, but it feels so much quicker, so much smoother, so much more nimble. The transmission is built like a tank and so smooth, especially with a short throw shifter. Power delivery is linear and there is little to no turbo lag. The brakes are insane and have an amazing bite to them. Buying this car was the best decision I've ever made.

Favorite Features

The power, the transmission, the brakes, the suspension, 4 doors, practicality, RELIABILITY AND most important of all.. Subaru SAFETY.

Suggested Improvements

Thicker sway bar in the back. SS brake lines stock.

Never Been So Happy To Drive
By jPage

I have been without a vehicle since 2002. I purchased the STi last month and my expectations were satisfied and were even overwhelmed. Especially by the pure power when you hit the gas pedal, and the ruggedness insures me that my purchase will go a very long ways and time.

Favorite Features

The aggressive look that it gives even when it is parked.

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holders somewhere else so as to have better access to the shifter.

Fun to drive.
By 138MustangGT

This is an exceptionally well mannered car. My wife has driven V8s by preference for 6 years now. BUT, the switch has begun. After being tired of the shoddy build quality of domestic automobiles, she decided to go import. Of course the M3 was her first choice, but that will come after she gets a job. For now, the fun to drive STi is her new favorite means of taking our sons to school and to the park and groceries and shopping and just driving because it's FUN. The ride remains comfortable even though the suspension is quick to answer the call of performance, and the cabin makes you feel more comfortable than one would think when looking from outside. She still hasn't stopped drooling.

Favorite Features

No body roll. No brake dive. Light shifter action.

Suggested Improvements

More positive shift locating. The wing in the MIDDLE of the rear mirror.

BEST CAR EVER
By JOHNNY

I had a chance to test drive the Evo MR a day before I bought my STi and let me say that there was nothing to compare. The STi was in a class of its own. From start-up to shutdown it's all I ever wanted in a car. I have never smiled so much as do when I drive the STi, especially when a Mustang pulls next to me.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

Longer standard warranty.

Exhilarating Fun Drive!
By Britannic

I love turbocharged cars and for years was a loyal Saab owner, until GM diluted the brand. I wanted a turbocharged car that would stand out from the pack and deliver power, superb handling and excitement. The STi gives all of that and more; once I got used to the higher revving engine, this car is the most fun I've ever had. Performance off the line and handling through twisty mountain roads is tremendous; the Sube feels like it's on rails and I've yet to notice any body roll. Being European, I love the WRX's stiff suspension, which combines with the super precise steering and available power to provide very nimble handling and a real fun drive! I don't miss my Saab 9-3 Viggen at all!

Favorite Features

Turbocharger, boxer engine (love the offbeat throaty idle), 6 speed gear box, AWD, 300hp super quick acceleration and great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Would love this car to be offered as a 2 door hatchback for sportier looks and better trunk space. A bigger fuel tank would be nice, but probably impractical, given the car's small dimensions.

my 2006 STi "qwksti"
By qwksti

This is a great sports car, and for the money you can't do much better. Looks are great, and I love the new 06 front end. And with the 06 improved DCCD is tied in with the steering. Better suspension, lower than the 05, smaller front scoop, smaller rear wing (1/2 inch I think) a second rear wing added, liquid filled engine mounts, new ground effects body styling, rear diffuser, standard 6 CD in dash CD player, 6 speakers with amp and sub, intercooler sprayer, 17' wheels, 2.5L 300hp @ 6k rpm, 300 torque @ 4k rpm, adjustable HID head lights, keyless entry. This is an amazing sports car. Very fast, the AWD is amazing, this car is well built, sturdy, solid, tight, lots of fun.

Favorite Features

300 hp engine, 300 fpt , AWD ,DCCD, IC sprayer, good trunk space, standard interior is great, looks are great.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room, more options for interior and body colors, more options for add ons, more local dealers.

A better STi
By Eric

As the happy owner of a 2004 STi, I was blown away with the new front end design of the 2006 model. In no time I had a 2006 Blue STi with gold wheels. This is one of the most amazing cars on the road. Power is impressive over 3000 rpm, but some slight turbo lag is evident below this range. But once the turbo is on boost, look out, you will be hitting redline before you know it. What's even more impressive about this car is its handling and braking. I regularly enter corners at speeds my mind is telling me are too fast, but the car grips without protest. This is truly one of the most forgiving performance cars I've driven. And it stops as well as it goes. Let's just say the brakes are awesome.

Favorite Features

My favorite features on this vehicle are its acceleration, cornering ability, and braking ability. The new HID headlamps are really good, and are height adjustable from the interior. The big Brembro brakes are world class. The steering is quick to react to driver input and is so communicative.

Suggested Improvements

A nicer interior design would be welcome, as well as a better audio system that is MP3/WMA compatible. Subaru should give us Americans the Japanese seats. I've sat in them and they are vastly superior to the seats the US STi's get. And the Japanese stereo would be welcome also, it's a killer unit.

Subaru WRX STi
By WRX OWNER

I bought the WRX STi a few weeks ago and I can tell you that this car certainly lives up to its name. I have had absolutely no problems with it. I live in the mountains of southern California where there are a lot of windy and hilly roads, which make this car all the more fun to have. It never has a problem climbing any hill. It accelerates from 0-60 in about 5 seconds and the handling ability is unbelievable. The hood scoop and spoiler never rattle around as I had read in some reviews, and also the turbo lag isn't that bad; in fact the low end torque on the STi is better than my dad's Porsche 911 Turbo which has 355hp. The 6 disc in-dash CD changer is of excellent quality.

Favorite Features

My favorite features of this car are, of course, the powerful engine, 6-Speed manual transmission, excellent handling, firm suspension, DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential, 6 disc in-dash CD changer, comfortable seating for 4, automatic climate control, and ample trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

The only things I dislike about this car are minor nuisances. The center console is too small, and the seatbelts tend to lock you in through the normal course of driving. Also, even though there is ample trunk space, (enough to fit 4 sets of golf clubs), the rear seats do not fold down.