Used 2006 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great performer/handler, fun/practical
By Mike

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Off-Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Power and handling are excellent, but if you're used to a torquey V6 (Maxima in my case), the turbo-4 power delivery takes getting used to. WRX is, and feels, small and light. Sound system seems weak to me, but probably because my Maxima's was pretty good. Same with interior. It looks good, but after a while it feels a little econo, and there are rattles. My Maxima NEVER rattled. This car looks hot. Styling, wheels, spoiler, side sills. The Limited package could include more. Up in Legacy GT price range, but Legacy is probably a better buy. Outstanding all-around car (very fun!), but if you have a Maxima (or similar) and want a Subaru, Legacy GT might be a better choice.

Power - Handling - Styling/appearance - All-wheel drive utility/handling - Overall fun-to-drive factor - Feels small/light while driving - Extremely "practical" and day-to-day livable for what is essentially a sports car. - Interior feels econo, but at least it looks good.

More from the Limited package. Maybe STI's HID's, more powerful sound system, remote keyless trunk release, etc. With the Mazda 3 offering nav, Impreza should compete, ESPECIALLY in Limited trim. Eliminate interior rattles. Folding back seat. Suspension could be tighter (Mazdaspeed 3).

Best Bang for the Buck
By Mikey Mike

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have only owned the car for 1 week as of today and I am very impressed. I am trading down from an Audi TT roadster 225hp (lease). I don't even consider it trading down, since the Subaru out performs my Audi (seriously). I purchased the car as a 2006 left over so I got a great deal on it ($21,000). If you are looking to buy a sports car with the functionality of a wagon look no further. 0-60mph in the low to mid 5 second range in for under $25k...enough said. I am so happy with this car.

Acceleration! Handles well.

Stereo needs to be upgraded and interior is very plain and there is a little body roll, but I can't complain because it more than makes up for it in all-around performance.

My car went boom
By STigoesboom

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I buy cars to race and to tune them. I have worked on Lambo's to Kia's. My brother owns a shop in Delaware where I do all of my work and dyno tuning. I was very surprised when then engine practically blew up with minor tuning (nothing internal and factory turbo). After talking with other people who have tried this seems to be a common occurrence. My suggestion... buy the car if you want a fairly quick car that is going to be left stock. You want to tune your car and make it special to you...buy something else.

A good car straight off the block. The second spoiler was a needed improvement.

Subaru knows most people are going to do minor tuning...make the engine so it can take a little more power. If not, have options you can get from the factory with a factory warranty!

Incredible Car!
By Charlie

I have only had the car for about 1500 miles, but already I am absolutely in love. The car handles incredibly well and accelerates like, like well it's got 300hp! Big brakes, driving it is similar to flying a F-16 with license plates. I am now 100% sure that I will always own a Subaru, great build quality, AWD, reliability, this is the car company that is truly a diamond in the rough. Nothing holds a candle to this car company. I would recommend a test drive of at least the WRX, just to get a taste of what comes when you decide that the extra $9000 is worth it.

Engine, gear box, brakes, I/C water spray, handling, 4 doors, snowboarding capabilities, brakes.

Stereo, reduced spoiler (just a hair to big), and different colored tach, speedo needles (now I'm just getting picky here).

10 months
By subisubi

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

No real problems to date. The car handles really well in the snow. I live Mammoth lakes, CA, and we had over 600 inches of snow this past winter. Make sure there is extra weight when in winter conditions, because the car is pretty light. I got 31 mpg sometimes on roadtrips, and never less than 25 mpg.

AWD, good mileage, sound system.

iPod/mp3 player adapter. I don't use the 6 disc changer much.