Used 2006 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Too much fun
By Leif_in_seattle

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I’ve been driving my WRX wagon for about two weeks now and I’m more impressed with it every day. The overall road feel and driver interface is amazing. Steering is precise, and acceleration is exhilarating, even before the turbo kicks in. Previous versions of the WRX were plagued by a pronounced turbo lag and lame torque at lower RPMs, but the new 2.5L engine in the ’06 distributes power across a much wider band. It still jumps at 3500-4000 RPMs when the turbo kicks in, but it’s quicker off the line with a much smoother transition into the turbo burst, resulting in a more even, muscular acceleration. The AWD enables it to handle great on all surfaces and under all conditions.

This car is not for everyone, but for those seeking an under $25k ride that provides thrilling performance, AWD capability and day to day practicality it would be tough to do better than the Impreza WRX wagon. Best features: Handling, acceleration, AWD, appearance, small wagon practicality.

Road noise, fuel economy, insurance cost, no iPod input, no sunroof available (except with Limited model).

WRX STi still a contender
By vallor

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've been driving this beast since February. The all-wheel drive both improves handling, as well as more stable footing in snow and ice...nice, if you cross the Sierras sometimes in the winter, as I do. This machine is rally-inspired, and it shows. It took a little while to get used to the rear wing -- but you know, I'm seeing other auto manufacturers adding big rectangular wings to their offerings, too...so it's suddenly "trendsetting", heh. Finally, I can't stress enough the value of having performance tires on this vehicle -- almost always, it is its tires that are the performance bottleneck. I've shod my STi with Kumho ASX, which seemed good compromise for performance and winter driving.

All wheel drive, exceptional power, excellent handling. I'm told that the STi has had the roof strengthened for rollcage protection, but I haven't investigated it yet. Finally: the boxer engine removes almost all torque issues when accelerating.

Whatever Mitsu is doing with the Evo. Squared. Also: would be nice if dealer set suspension up for driving style of buyer. Mechanical improvements: I can't think of any -- it is what it is. The Kumho ASX tires quiet the ride down a bit from the stock Potenzas...the ride is a bit stiff, too.

2007 STI is a Very Nice Ride...
By John

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second Subaru in 3 years, and I am sold on these cars. I had a 05 WRX wagon prior to this, and I loved it. This car however is in a whole 'nother league. Everything has been tightened up, and it handles like it's on rails. Of course with handling you give up comfort, but who cares. For a bone stock car this thing is really fast. I can see why this thing hangs with M3's. It's no slouch.. The Brembo brakes are a huge improvement over my WRX. Mileage around town stinks, but on the freeway it is not bad (around 25 @ 80). Stereo stinks, but I have a double din nav that is going in shortly. Only complaint is the wing. Not a big fan. Plus, cops and idiots seem to be drawn to it.

Xion lights, Brembo brakes. 6 speed, 300 HP.

Stock stereo is a joke. Smaller rear wing. M+S tire option at purchase.

Happy Owner
By Josh

When I first purchased my STi it was perfect. Now 6 months later I can't get enough. This is the first vehicle I ever owned which made me not want to go home and park it. It's very satisfying, very addicting and is better than a drink at the end of a hard work day. Not a dull moment. Believe it or not, I am a family man whose family enjoys going everywhere in it.

AC is great with climate control always on. Fairly quiet ride even though the car is permanently glued to the road. The engine sounds mean when idling with stock exhaust. I really enjoy getting 29 MPG with cruise control on at 68 MPH and 300 HP to boot.

The factory should tint the back three windows to reduce tailgater glare. Needs better intercooling during 100 degree summer months.

I Love My Subie!--Greeley, CO
By Landon-21 years old

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

W O W ! This is a great car for the money. Compared to other 4 door sedans under $20,000 this one knocks the doors off the competition. This car is so practical and fun and well its a great car. I hope that if you are looking for a car that you definitely consider Subaru. By the way I get 21 city & 26 hwy, so decent gas mileage also especially considering it is an automatic and has AWD.

GREAT handling, nice power for such low HP, fun to drive, sturdy suspension, AWD, very simple interior (plain & to the point), decent stereo, awesome looks, reliability, 3 low gears, fun on curvy mountain roads, deep trunk, bright lights, well done sport seats, and it is a really sweet lookin' car.

Well if you want more power, step it up to the turbo or STi I guess, TOO FUN to drive which makes me drive it more than I probably should and so therefore I tend to go through a lot of gas...but that's about all. Hope to see you on the road drivin' a Subie.