Used 2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

It's a WINNER!
By Impreza Lover

2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a LOT for work (40K per year), mostly in rural northwest Ohio. Summer driving is great, but the Subie really shines in the winter - and we have a lot of it here. I can honestly say that this is the BEST car I've ever owned, bar none. Absolutely NO problems from day one, just regular service. I've owned Nissan, VW, Toyota and Mazda - all were good, but not as perfect as this Impreza. I've also had quite a number of people comment on how attractive the car is, with it's Outback Sport two-tone paint, factory alloys and special trim. If you can find a well maintained one at resale, BUY IT!! You won't be disappointed!

Favorite Features

Road hugging AWD, disc brakes all around, upgraded sound system in this SE model, overall looks. Fuel economy has been better than listed during warm weather (30 mpg), drops to 25-27 mpg in the cold weather months.

Suggested Improvements

I really like the exterior color of the model I have, a soft green over silver gold two tone. But the standard interior was beige, and shows dirt quickly. I finally added a sheepskin seat cover to the driver's seat for both protection and comfort.

DUMB college kid here...
By OOPs

This little wagon is one tough car. I love the car, drive it sanely (mostly). I took it deep into the woods of western Colorado and ended up 4-wheeling across a field of 9" snow at 40 mph, floored in third the whole time. I then accidentally sailed it right off a seven-foot embankment. There were three people in the car. It landed, HARD, and the whole front end tore off, which we ran over. One front tire exploded, the car swung to the left and rolled onto the pass. side. We escaped, pushed her back over; she started right up. DUMB mistake-but terrifically durable car. On a FLAT she made it outta the field, minus the bumper and badly leaking radiator, then made it 91 miles home on the spare.

Favorite Features

Nice aesthetics, well-made little beast. Stereo is quite good with optional sub/amp. Nice standard options on long roadtrips. Still runs fine after the wreck and a few repairs. Airbags are quite stout without overpowering (adequate, seatbelts good plan). Buy one; drive it "normally"; not like me.

Suggested Improvements

On normally-aspirated Subies, high mountain roads=more power needed. Bad wind noise over 90 mph.Seats hard; little guys like me need more padding. I really messed up this good car; if U buy one surely you would be happy with it. After all that crap, mine still runs great every day. More careful now.

Fun and Great!
By Jeremiah

This car is amazing in some things and ok in others.Starting out with amazing things: great, AWD handles EXCELLENT in rain/snow/mud, great exterior style, drives very smoothly and takes corners very well, 26 MPG. Some of the things I dont like: jerky @ very low speeds in 1st/2nd gear not so much 2nd, inconsistent low fuel light and one rattle I've noticed under the steering wheel. This car has good pick up speed. The interior is pretty nice, but the seats could be a little more comfortable. Carpet in the car seems a little cheap, hard to get pine needles, dirt etc out of it.This was fixed by buying rubber floor mats I cut to customize fit. Overall a great buy, money well spent VERY safe and a blast.

Favorite Features

Symetrical AWD, mirror compass, daytime funning lights, auto sensor passenger airbag, good cargo space, GREAT HANDLING. Overall a great buy.

Suggested Improvements

Rattle, low fuel light, better carpet, better seats, slightly better sound system.

Wow!
By NewSubaruGuy

What a great car! I bought one of the last '06 models and saved a few grand--I think it just lacks an iPod jack vs. the '07. I've put over $4K on this car so far and I'm really happy with this purchase. I don't even miss my Tacoma any more. It's quick, fun, amazing on wet roads (not too many of those in SoCal) and gets almost double the MPG of my truck. I can't believe how much car you get for this little money. I'm 6'1" and I have more head room in this than I did in my Tacoma, FJ62 or Explorer. I bought this model out-the-door for less than the current MSRP, so NOTHING else in this price range could come close to what my Scuby has to offer.

Favorite Features

AWD, supportive seats, great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Cross bars on rack aren't mounted as far forward as ideal...makes it a bit cramped to carry bikes or surfboards on top.

10 months
By subisubi

No real problems to date. The car handles really well in the snow. I live Mammoth lakes, CA, and we had over 600 inches of snow this past winter. Make sure there is extra weight when in winter conditions, because the car is pretty light. I got 31 mpg sometimes on roadtrips, and never less than 25 mpg.

Favorite Features

AWD, good mileage, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

iPod/mp3 player adapter. I don't use the 6 disc changer much.