Used 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Absolutely Love this Car!
By WRXracer256

2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had this car for about 3 and a half years and it now has 55,611 miles on it. I must say that this car is a beast. I love how it handles, accelerates, and brakes. It works wonderfully in the NJ snowstorms and can launch to 60 in under 5 seconds. The mileage is ok, but that's what you get for a turbocharged vehicle. I get about 18MPG all around on 93 Octane (Shell V-Power). I have driven this car around the country and have never doubted its reliability once. It has never left me stuck and has always brought me to point B safely. I recommend this car to everybody who enjoys a 5SPD and whiplash inducing thrust.

Favorite Features

5 Speed Manual, SPT performance parts, AWD system, race inspired front seats, top mount intercooler and turbocharger, 6 CD changer, exhaust note and the great versatility.

Suggested Improvements

AUX Jack from the 2007 WRX, HID headlights, Red "STI style" gauges, sportier exhaust. Just suggested add-ons but no complaints whatsoever.

Too much fun
By Leif_in_seattle

2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Iíve been driving my WRX wagon for about two weeks now and Iím more impressed with it every day. The overall road feel and driver interface is amazing. Steering is precise, and acceleration is exhilarating, even before the turbo kicks in. Previous versions of the WRX were plagued by a pronounced turbo lag and lame torque at lower RPMs, but the new 2.5L engine in the í06 distributes power across a much wider band. It still jumps at 3500-4000 RPMs when the turbo kicks in, but itís quicker off the line with a much smoother transition into the turbo burst, resulting in a more even, muscular acceleration. The AWD enables it to handle great on all surfaces and under all conditions.

Favorite Features

This car is not for everyone, but for those seeking an under $25k ride that provides thrilling performance, AWD capability and day to day practicality it would be tough to do better than the Impreza WRX wagon. Best features: Handling, acceleration, AWD, appearance, small wagon practicality.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise, fuel economy, insurance cost, no iPod input, no sunroof available (except with Limited model).

Best Bang for the Buck
By Mikey Mike

2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have only owned the car for 1 week as of today and I am very impressed. I am trading down from an Audi TT roadster 225hp (lease). I don't even consider it trading down, since the Subaru out performs my Audi (seriously). I purchased the car as a 2006 left over so I got a great deal on it ($21,000). If you are looking to buy a sports car with the functionality of a wagon look no further. 0-60mph in the low to mid 5 second range in for under $25k...enough said. I am so happy with this car.

Favorite Features

Acceleration! Handles well.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo needs to be upgraded and interior is very plain and there is a little body roll, but I can't complain because it more than makes up for it in all-around performance.

Sleeper Wagon
By D

2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've waited a few months to review this car as I thought my initial enthusiasm might diminish. But, it hasn't! I still look forward to driving my car everyday. This vehicle has the perfect mix, with the practicality of a wagon but the performance of a rally car. AWD is a major safety and performance point (I'll have a hard time ever going back to 2WD, if I ever do). I put in the STi short throw shifter and would absolutely insist on it for any WRX owners out there. Subaru roof rack allows for bike rack and Rocket Box, while cargo area kennels a large dog easily. Roof rack whistle was a problem on past Subarus, but they seem to have fixed the problem as I haven't heard anything.

Favorite Features

Performance, bucket seats, aftermarket Subaru subwoofer under my seat! STi short throw shifter, wagon space, six disc in dash stereo, great Bridgestone rubber! I really like that Subaru offers aftermarket performance parts. My next upgrade will probably be the sway bar kit.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade the stock shifter to the short throw kit. MP3 jack in the stereo. Offer the sunroof as an option instead of as a part of the Limited Package. Design the rear differential protector to be compatible with the cat back exhaust.

Fun little critter...
By John

2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have barely had the WRX Wagon long enough to break it in. The mix of strong performance, great handling, full time all wheel drive, large brakes, lots of front seat head room, adequate back seat room for two, a wagon tail end (with no sacrifice to handling or speed) is very attractive for a car priced in the low to mid-twenties. The new 2.5L motor gives better around town drivability than the previous motor and gives great 'get out of my way' acceleration. ;-)

Favorite Features

Ample head room in front. Great seats that catch me where I need it. Great acceleration, handling, and braking.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is not great. The power curve is strong, but a little lumpy as RPMs climb. This may smooth out as the car wears in a little.