Used 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Quick small sedan with a crappy interior
By mitchell

2006 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Owned the car for about 5 months so far. Before i bought it the dealership did rear pads and rotors along with timing belt replacement. It got horribly gas mileage in the winter time, i do a short commute, and let the car warm up, but i have never got this bad gas mileage. about 230 kms per 35-40 liters of premium. All seemed well until i had to replace both front wheel bearings a month ago, costing me over $1000 at a Subaru dealership. I suspect not many other repairs in the near future, and seems quite solid overall.

power from the turbo, seating position ( can accommodate very tall drivers, i am 6'3" and the seat is not all the way back yet), frameless window/doors, AWD, very good looking

fold down rear seats, better interior materials (cheap plastic, worse than civic's), remote trunk popper, better stereo, paint that doesn't chip so easily, a little more rear seat room

Impreza 2.5 I hatchback, manual
By arvid

2006 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as a "micro SUV" -- the 2006 RAV4 had only an automatic and was $4000 more. Handling is great; the Impreza moves confidently through snow and heavy rains on hilly roads. With a roof rack, transport capacity is terrific. With some planning, and multiple trips, I can move most the loads that a pickup can take. I tow a 1500 pound camper (towing capacity is 2400 lbs -- largest in this group). The one drawback is lower MPG. I am getting mid 20s. My previous car was a 96 Saturn sedan, which was getting in the mid 30s, but did not have the power, or handling in snow.

AWD, handling, hugs the road.

improve the MPG; heater/AC is pretty modest.

I'm impressed
By A guy

2006 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2006 Impreza 2.5i almost a year ago now. So far the car has remained reliable and cheap to maintain. I had a minor problem with the exhaust plumbing that was fixed under warranty, but other than that just oil changes and an alignment. The car has enough power to have spirited acceleration. The turn-in is sharp and precise; good steering feel, shifter is smooth and fluid, seats offer good support. The interior is a good driver's environment with excellent touch points. The car handles very well on both dry and wet pavement.

The AWD was hugely important in my purchase decision. It offers traction advantages that simply can't be had from FF, FR, or even MR vehicles. I also like the engine packaging that results in a lower CG and better F/R mass distribution. The suspension is also nice and stiff stock.

60/40 seating. Stickier tires. A tad more rear roll stiffness to decrease understeer and fight body roll with the new tires. A hair more power (just a hair because it's only a 2.5i), perhaps from something as simple as a K&N drop in filter. Other than those simple fixes I'm a happy camper.

Go drive it!
By Mathias

2006 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is an awesome car. Looked at the Mazda 3, Hyundai Tiburon, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, Ford Focus, and more. The Impreza is in a class by itself, and sells for about the same price as the others given the amount of standard options. Very safe car with AWD for the winter season and a blast to drive. I can't say enough good things about it. Anyone considering a sedan for under $20K needs to check this out. Keep in mind the mechanical advantage over the competition (ie: AWD and the boxer engine).

Seats -- great seats with good support; look good too. Engine -- very flexible, good power, decent fuel economy and it's smooth as silk (can't even tell the engine's running at idle).

Folding rear seat would be nice.

Good so far
By Good so far

2006 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought a month ago. Positives: Quiet, fairly comfortable, great styling, AWD always good, and I like the outside temp gauge. Negatives: Rear seats don't fold down -- only small center split does, no trunk opener on electronic key device, cold weather operation to be desired (lagging start -- taking about 2-3 times longer to turn over, stiff manual transmission until warmed up). Overall not a bad car, but I wish I had done a little more shopping around to see what other buys were out there.

Love the exterior styling. Outside temperature gauge nice touch. Bucket seats very stylish.

Fold down rear seats, electronic trunk opener. Oh yeah, stock tires are horrible.