2006 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
It's a WINNER!
By Impreza Lover on 11/23/08 09:06 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a LOT for work (40K per year), mostly in rural northwest Ohio. Summer driving is great, but the Subie really shines in the winter - and we have a lot of it here. I can honestly say that this is the BEST car I've ever owned, bar none. Absolutely NO problems from day one, just regular service. I've owned Nissan, VW, Toyota and Mazda - all were good, but not as perfect as this Impreza. I've also had quite a number of people comment on how attractive the car is, with it's Outback Sport two-tone paint, factory alloys and special trim. If you can find a well maintained one at resale, BUY IT!! You won't be disappointed!

DUMB college kid here...
By OOPs on 10/17/07 21:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This little wagon is one tough car. I love the car, drive it sanely (mostly). I took it deep into the woods of western Colorado and ended up 4-wheeling across a field of 9" snow at 40 mph, floored in third the whole time. I then accidentally sailed it right off a seven-foot embankment. There were three people in the car. It landed, HARD, and the whole front end tore off, which we ran over. One front tire exploded, the car swung to the left and rolled onto the pass. side. We escaped, pushed her back over; she started right up. DUMB mistake-but terrifically durable car. On a FLAT she made it outta the field, minus the bumper and badly leaking radiator, then made it 91 miles home on the spare.

Fun and Great!
By Jeremiah on 03/30/07 13:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is amazing in some things and ok in others.Starting out with amazing things: great, AWD handles EXCELLENT in rain/snow/mud, great exterior style, drives very smoothly and takes corners very well, 26 MPG. Some of the things I dont like: jerky @ very low speeds in 1st/2nd gear not so much 2nd, inconsistent low fuel light and one rattle I've noticed under the steering wheel. This car has good pick up speed. The interior is pretty nice, but the seats could be a little more comfortable. Carpet in the car seems a little cheap, hard to get pine needles, dirt etc out of it.This was fixed by buying rubber floor mats I cut to customize fit. Overall a great buy, money well spent VERY safe and a blast.

Wow!
By NewSubaruGuy on 12/23/06 06:00 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

What a great car! I bought one of the last '06 models and saved a few grand--I think it just lacks an iPod jack vs. the '07. I've put over $4K on this car so far and I'm really happy with this purchase. I don't even miss my Tacoma any more. It's quick, fun, amazing on wet roads (not too many of those in SoCal) and gets almost double the MPG of my truck. I can't believe how much car you get for this little money. I'm 6'1" and I have more head room in this than I did in my Tacoma, FJ62 or Explorer. I bought this model out-the-door for less than the current MSRP, so NOTHING else in this price range could come close to what my Scuby has to offer.

10 months
By subisubi on 09/11/06 15:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

No real problems to date. The car handles really well in the snow. I live Mammoth lakes, CA, and we had over 600 inches of snow this past winter. Make sure there is extra weight when in winter conditions, because the car is pretty light. I got 31 mpg sometimes on roadtrips, and never less than 25 mpg.

All around driving enjoyment
By jim wightman on 08/18/06 11:41 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I enjoy driving this car. We travel between Canada and Texas twice a year so our driving entails two very long high speed trips and then mostly driving around town. Excellent car for both driving types. Smooth, good cornering, pretty quiet, good gas mileage. Seats could be more comfortable. Front spoiler scrapes easily. As mentioned previously, first gear acceleration is not adequate unless rpm is high prior to clutch engagement. Some sign of early interior wear. First gear jerky at low speed.

Built to get you anywhere, anytime.
By lvnwntr on 07/10/06 18:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Leasing the car for $270/mo. Planning a trip of 2000 miles through Canada with 3 other people. Great for hauling the stuff that won't fit in my Impreza sedan. Have cargo basket for roof rack and am planning for a hitch and aluminum cargo carrier for the back.

WHEELS DOWN
By Sharon on 06/12/06 18:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a Land Rover and I am ecstatic about my new Subie! The gas mileage alone makes me want to drive more. I customized it with my Yakima rack system and a few stickers and it is now ready for the trek across the country. I can't wait for the drive.

Adequate
By trizz on 02/23/06 06:01 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I am happy with the car. Pros: It's a good reliable safe car, has enough space in the back for anything I need to haul around, it's a blast to drive, AWD is great for New England, the build quality and reliability are good. I gave reliability a tentative 8, that may wind up a 10 but I won't know for some years. Cons: The seats are a bit awkward, it's smaller inside than my last car, no sunroof, gear ratios are a little low for my taste.

An Engineering Thrill
By cwert99 on 01/27/06 09:26 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love the All Wheel Drive! Good, quiet highway ride. The car handles amazing, especially in decreasing radius turns! Impressive driveability in all conditions. The 5 speed manual transmission is smooth and crisp. Amazing torque from the boxer engine. Solid build quality (built much better than comparable Toyotas and Hondas). On my first tank of gas, I averaged 27 MPG during mixed, yet spirited driving. The premium audio system is well above average. Great value and low depreciation make this car an excellent choice for the subcompact segment. Five days after owning it, I woke up at 7AM and went to Starbucks to get coffee - 25 MILES AWAY just to drive it!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.