Used 2005 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great "Middle of the Road" Sports Sedan.
By veespecboy

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I used to drive a 2003 Nissan SER SpecV and the WRX is better in every aspect. Fantastic car to modify. The possibilities are endless. Love the aftermarket/car club atmosphere surrounding this car. Not a better deal for $23k....shoulda bought an STi.

Favorite Features

Love the seats, optional dimmed and compass rear-view mirror. Shifter in a great position. Ample leg room (I'm 6'-1"). Fantastic power and torque out of the 2.0L "boxer."

Suggested Improvements

Ugly "shark fin" rear spoiler. Install better factory tires. The Potenzas stink...even in snow. Change the 1st gear ratio to run longer. Too much body roll.

my best car so far
By fuapiti

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm a car enthusiast, and a former owner of two Acura Integras and one Nissan 350z and by far my Impreza WRX has been my best ride, sporty yet practical, fast, not flashy, reliable, and most important fun to drive on a daily basis and to own for that matter.

Favorite Features

Seat for me and four more, faaast acceleration and great control taking corners.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes (which they did for the 06), better sway bars and tires.

Great Car
By Greg Case

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The car is fabulous. It is the best bad weather car I have ever driven. It is very stable in the rain and snow. It does require snow tires for snow use, as the OE summer tires have no snow tread. The performance of the car is great. It responds to inputs similar to a racecar. The tires, suspension, and steering have little compliance, which makes it so responsive. The engine has plenty of low end torque and good top end power. I was surprised at just how much better the engine and handling is compared to the standard WRX. The engine alone is probably worth the price difference, and the handling makes it even better yet. Its handling is close to neutral, and the steering responds to throttle.

Favorite Features

Engine, suspension, driver controlled center differential, tires, short throw shifter, steering wheel, seats, alcantera seat cloth, automatic climate control, in-dash 6 cd changer and sound system, sizable trunk, adjustable audible RPM alert, 4 doors, brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Semi-automatic gearbox, which is a manual transmission with an automatic clutch, like the ones that are optional on the BMW M3 and the Toyota MR2,

Good For The Money
By kman

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is an excellent small sedan that, while not a WRX, is still plenty of fun. The reliability and build quality have proven to be top notch so far. The interior is well-designed and sporty-feeling, and I personally LOVE the exterior design of the Impreza. Acceleration is very good from any speed, handling is very predictable, and the motor has a nice deep rumble to it. The ride quality is very good, though to compensate, there is quite a bit of body roll during aggressive cornering. Fuel economy is good for a 3000-pound car with all-wheel-drive; I've been getting around 25 mpg with hard driving, both city and highway. All in all, a great choice if you just can't afford a WRX.

Favorite Features

The torquey and cool-sounding motor; the exterior and interior design; the precise gear shifter, and its relatively short throws; the ultra-comfortable seats and steering wheel; the pedal size and placement.

Suggested Improvements

Offer some 17-inch wheels that'll fit tires wider than 205, possibly the stock STi wheels. A six-speed manual would certainly help fuel economy. A smoother transmission altogether (it can be very difficult to perform a smooth, fast shift) wouldn't hurt, either. The sound system needs work, too.

I love my car!
By KJ

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Subaru for 9 months now and love it just as much as the day I bought it. My decision came down to the Mazda 3 and Impreza, and I definitely made the right choice. This car gets me through North Dakota snow and blizzards with no problem, excellent traction and stopping power on icy, wet and dry roads. Good ground clearance. I wouldn't mind 40 or so extra HP, but it is very capable. Always starts even on the coldest days. MPG averaged 25-30 last summer but is <20 in winter. But, I would expect that with any vehicle.

Favorite Features

My favorite thing about my Impreza is that I can drive for hundreds of miles and never see another car exactly like mine! It is so unique, and even though it is almost a year old, heads still turn as I drive down the road. I purchased the rubber floor mats - a must in the winter - and splash guards.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power ... but really that is not a big issue. I can't think of anything major I would change. Standard heated seats would be nice, but not necessary.