Used 2005 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

These cars are super fast.
By Brian

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This has to be the fastest and most fun car Ive ever driven or owned. In the summer it's like the car is stuck to the pavement like a magnet. In the winter it is even more fun, with 300 horses and full time awd you wish there were more turns and more snow.

Absolute excellent brake, throttle and steering feel.

The STi has almost everything already.

Swiss Army Knife on 4 wheels
By Aurora

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned it for more than two years and I've got about 42,000 miles on it. I STILL look forward to my commute! I also end up volunteering to drive my friends everywhere. I really can't think of a better car to have purchased. It's done everything from weekend joyrides to moving an impossible loads. The performance and handling have gotten me out of trouble on the road that I might not have otherwise avoided. Reliability has been spotless other than a few glitches with the lock/unlock beeper. Slipping the clutch at 3000RPM produces little lag. Keep the RPMs above 4000 on a twisty road, and you discover the genuine gran-tourismo character of this car.

Triumphant performance, utility, reliability, looks, comfort. It almost seems like whoever designed this car actually intended for it to be used. MPG isn't great, but for 227hp is uncommonly good. I get 28-29 with dedicated highway driving. AWD has pulled me out of deep snow.

RE92s aren't the greatest. Wished they had a sunroof and seat heaters on my year. Interior material quality isn't the best - have to be careful with how you clean it!

It Could Use Some Things.
By Gary Sanderson

This car is exceptional in the snow. I live in a very hilly area and had no problems navigating the icy roads. The car is extremely quick with a quarter mile of 12.4 seconds. I love to drive it all the time. Even though the gas mileage stinks its still great to drive and I don't mind spending the extra cash for gas. I love this car and will never buy anything else.

Spacious lighted glovebox, clear windows, orange calipers, blue and black interior, center console, shift knob, A/C.

Take the 300 Hp down to 170 for better fuel economy, replace the gigantic wing with something much smaller and cute, remove the hood scoop completely it makes the car look like a space ship, replace the rims with hubcaps because they are less likely to get stolen, make the clock bigger.

Lots-a-fun
By lvnwntr

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 7th Subaru. All except the '98 RS coupe got to 200k miles. VERY tossable. Now we have 30k on it and only a few mods. Silencer removal, Prodrive 17's with M3's, K&N, front and rear braces. Future mods on order include braided lines, Hawk HPS pads, front & rear skid-plates from Primitive Racing, and full synthetic Redline conversion. Went playing in 12" of unplowed wet snow for 1.5 hours. Took 4 hrs to get the snow off it. Worth the work! Buy it -Have fun.

Ultra-high performance all-season tires in 17-18" are well overdue from factory. Stock tires are garbage.

2005 2.5 RS wagon
By AB

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know how anyone looking for an economical AWD vehicle doesn't grab this one immediately. I have no problems, although I do believe that at 50,000k I shouldn't have any problems. Fact is a lot of cars do have issues after a few km's. I live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada, and during one of our largest snow storms in recent times, I was out having fun and watching all the people in regular cars, digging pushing and swearing. This car has been rock solid, the one single complaint I have is the paint, it is not terrible, just would think it could be more rugged, but then again, it's my first new car and scuffs show up easier.

Boxer engine, the AWD makes it an obvious choice in Canada, and the wagon is extremely helpful.

Paint is a little weak, and make the high beams the day time running lights, would look much better.