2005 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
My First New Import
By DFMYERS on 09/28/05 09:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

At this point I couldn't be happier with this little wagon. We also own a 05 Pontiac Vibe which we've owned for about a year so it's neat to be able to compare the two. The Impreza excels over the Vibe in handling and performance but lacks in interior features and room. Both are winners in my book.

M3? why?
By James on 09/08/05 20:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Three months ago, on my way to BMW dealer to trade in my mint '93 Supra Twin Turbo for an M3, I had a kid in some big winged creature badged STi. Yes, it was faster than my stock Supra, and I had the embarrassing pleasure to see the rear badge. I took an early exit ramp to the Subaru dealer, drove the STi, wiped the drool off of my face at the signing table, and bought it. 3 months later, I still drool after I drive it to and back from work. Let's see (comparing M3); 4 doors to 2. All wheel drive to rear wheel drive. (I live where it snows), handles almost as good and wait, $30,000 less? Bottom line: I bought a faster, more fun, more practical car and i didn't have to trade in the Supra.

Happy so far
By theKman on 09/07/05 10:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

In a little under a year of driving this vehicle, I have had zero problems with it. I chose it for its AWD here in New England, even though I work for a Toyota dealer. It appealed to me much more than the AWD Matrix. I expected a little more power from the engine, and assume it's soaked up a bit from the AWD, but I'm glad I chose the 2.5RS over the WRX. I couldn't justify the $5,000+ premium over the 2.5, plus the WRX requires premium gas. The interior is pleasing to the eye, and very comfortable for my 6'3", 230lb. frame. The base factory audio system is extremely lacking in features and sound quality. I appreciate the functionality of the wagon and the folding rear seats.

Great car, poor lumbar support
By Cy Martin on 08/29/05 14:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you're looking for a fun-to-drive car that's inexpensive, yet fast "out of the box" -- look no further. Yes, an Evo is faster, but you can get a dealership down to $23/24K with research and careful choice of options. Also, I wonder if Mitsu Co. will be around in a decade. For anyone who has a long commute, I would heartily recommend buying lumbar support. Otherwise, after the 1K break-in period, this all-wheel drive turbo fun machine will have you grinning at every driving opportunity. That is, if you can drive a manual transmission. I'm 6 foot with a 32 inch inseam, and have no problem fitting into the driver's seat. The pedals are set for heel-toe driving, so get tapered shoes.

'05 STi review
By BigBSTI on 08/29/05 12:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is awesome! I have a commuter car but I always want to drive my STi. It is so hard to keep the miles down because you will always want to drive it. I've taken it to autocross and drag events and out performed all new cars around the 30k price range. I don't consider myself an awesome driver but behind the wheel of this car you sure feel like it!

Fun to drive
By Solistide on 08/26/05 01:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is awesome to drive. It is fun, and provides good handling and feel for the road. Not recommended for driving over bumpy roads, unless you want a sore behind. A bit rough, definitely not a luxury car. The interior is cheap; for my car, the seat material was wrinkling up (got it fixed through warranty), drivers visor mirror fell off, stock armrest extension not secured well to the car (quite fragile), and several other issues. This car was definitely meant to be modded (modified).

Cool car!!!
By Turbo!!! on 08/16/05 19:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I got this car as a present for my 16th birthday! its coool and i love the stereo. I had to take it to the car dealer one time because the ECU wouldn't let me rev the tachometer pass 4000 rpm! it cost me $243 for labor and parts but that's all good plus Subaru refunded my money because that should've been covered by my warranty

Outstanding all-around car
By wrx on 08/16/05 17:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fast, reliable, excellent utility. I can haul snowboards to the mountains and take it to a track day and still have a blast. Easily customized. Reprogram the ECU for an easy ~25hp bump. Driveability improves as boost comes on sooner. Short shifter kit also suggested. I only get 22mpg on mixed commute.

Week Old & Totalled
By Skie on 08/13/05 16:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan w/Sport Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I only had the opportunity to drive the vehicle about ten times before the accident. It handled really well and was fun to drive. The seats became pretty uncomfortable for both my wife and me after 45-60 minutes of driving. I would suggest anyone looking at buying an Impreza to take a long test drive before deciding to buy. I have concerns over the safety of the vehicle from rear impact accidents. Both seat backs broke and were in the reclined position after our accident. In fact the seats went back so far that they bent over the rear seat. We were also pushed into the car in front of us at a considerable speed and the airbags did not deploy.

Best price to value car out there
By Gwarior on 08/01/05 15:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan w/Premium Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Had the car for 2 months now and I must say that I'm very impressed by most everything about the car. Handling is incredible, the car grips the road like no other (but I do get a greater sense of body roll than in every other car I've owned). It's got a decent powerband for a 2.0L but the car doesn't really show it until you're pushing 3000 RPMs because the turbo takes awhile to spool up due to a cat just inches before the turbo. The car offers a fairly smooth ride despite a stiffer suspension that the average car. The seats hold you in as you're zipping around turns and console navigation is a breeze. I love the car. I've owned quicker AWD turbos, but nothing as reliable or in the budget.