Used 2005 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

STi Performance with RS Style
By Pitt Boxer

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I previously owned an Intrepid with roughly the same MPG, but nowhere close to the responsiveness, handling or acceleration of the Japanese Monster. Prior to purchasing the STi I did a little research on the Evo MR. For the price and resale value, you just can't beat the Subie. Granted the Evo has a slight advantage in most categories, the Impreza is much more fun on a daily basis and as a daily drive. IMO if you are looking for a strictly track car get the MR, if you plan on having a life outside of direct competition, you better bet the STi takes the win. Subaru has an awesome track record, unlike most of its Japanese-American counterparts.

Favorite Features

All in all it's the handling. Just love this car in the winter, AWD has FWD and RWD spinning the tires in confusion. On the other hand 300HP and Brembo brakes are enjoyable in their own right, haven't had much in the way of favorable driving conditions. For the few days we have had, it was LAFS.

Suggested Improvements

The front hood scoop and rear spoiler could be dropped entirely. I went with the RS hood and trunk lid along with a FMIC to remedy that slight inconvenience. Otherwise all-season tires, and a black on black interior would satisfy most. I just don't care for blue.

Amazing car!!
By ScoobyRex

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 05 with 15000 miles on it. Great performance car, with minor (about $1500) engine upgrades its at est 285hp/285 tq and runs with most cars on the road!! And I can still haul my daughter and a trunk full of groceries without a problem. I get 22-28 mpg AFTER being tuned to almost 300 hp. I have driven on horrendous winter roads with it (and Blizzaks) and it is amazing--more controlled and sure-footed than the 4wd Explorer I owned in the past. My only regret is not buying one as soon as they hit the US shores in 2002!

Favorite Features

Engine/AWD

Suggested Improvements

Put a 6spd in the regular WRX, not just the STI!

Great car, way more fun than many others
By MFK

2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I used to own a 1999 Legacy/Outback, I purchased this car (2005 Impreza Outback Sport) w/12000 miles and have found it to be a blast to drive. It was literally the car purchased by the little old lady (dealer put in a new clutch before putting it on the lot, I purchased Subaru warranty). Ironically, before I went Subaru in the beginning, I was driving V-8 Mustangs, the Impreza is way more fun, it is nimble, sure footed and safe and has great visibility. Compared to it's peers it is an all weather handling beast without over steer, under steer or torque steer (an FWD plague). The other car I have access to is a 2006 Nissan Maxima...I never touch it.

Favorite Features

Great handling, good shifting, good power and an overall good feel to drive. Gauges are easy to read. The cockpit is pretty good and offers great visibility to all sides.

Suggested Improvements

Gas consumption is a bit high (a consequence of Symmetrical AWD).

The Ultimate Beast
By 2QIK4U

I've driven many performance cars in my time and I have to say that this car stands toe to toe with most all of them. I've outrun Cobra Mustangs, Dodge Charger SRT8s, older model Porsches, you name it. Phenomenal handling, super brakes, and a nice interior for a race car. Don't forget folks, compare the interior to other race cars, not luxury cars. It's fairly nice for a race car. It eats Vettes. They spin, you win. Awesome car! Period!

Favorite Features

Steering response. Power. Respect from other drivers! Attitude.

Suggested Improvements

370 stock horsepower 400 lbs/ft of stock torque

2005 Subaru Toy.
By Carlos Juan

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's a great performance bargain, bought mine used for $13,000 with only 37,000 miles. The car runs flawless 227hp, 24/28mpg and AWD makes this one of the best choices for a good all around car. Don't let the teenager car looks fool you because it can surely put a smile in your face. Excellent in city and highway. Easy to make most sports cars look like an economy car from 0-60 and all on a budget.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, AWD, turbo, racing seats, built quality.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger clutch, had to change mine at 31,800 on the odometer.