2005 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Very solid, just a few minor dislikes
By Captain D on 05/20/08 20:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have 83,000 miles on the clock at this time. It's been very solid and reliable. It drives pretty well. I have found over the years that the suspension does not feel as solid and connected to the road as it used to. The interior noise can be bad when you have passengers. Overall it's been a very reliable and solid car.

Faster than the law allows
By A. D. Goordman on 04/24/08 14:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This vehicle should come with a bio-degradable operator's licence. Although I have received only one speeding citation, it is because of a good radar-detctor and exceptional good fortune. The performance is breath-taking: in addition to unbelievable acceleration and braking, it corners as if it is on rails. It looks like economy sedan on steroids and if it has a single drawback it is the driver comfort that it lacks. The fuel economy is limited by the weight of one's right foot, but that means it is fair-to-poor milage for my driving style. The STi's greatest asset is "Fun" which it has in abundance. It is addictive, so enjoy the abuse if you purchase one.

Next time I'll go Manual
By MTLA on 12/14/07 14:06 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We're getting ready to trade in old Scooby due to punishing fuel consumption and need for more room for older-folks stuff like groceries, boxes of toys, gallon jugs of milk, etc. The car's been utterly reliable; nothing's fallen off; nothing creaks or buzzes, even after 3 1/2 years. The interior's pretty dull to the point of being jail cell-like. The base engine / auto box combination is far from ideal -- pretty sluggish actually, but really, I can't complain. It handles superbly and corners like it's on rails, you run out of courage before the car runs out of grip. It's hardly depreciated, always started, and would make a brilliant student car. Well done.

Good value and fun to drive
By Brainy guy on 07/15/07 19:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Base model hatchback hauls a lot more than I expected. Where I work it's all large SUVs and full-size 4WD trucks but I have had no problems with clearance through mud and snow and I stick to the road a lot better (and faster) than they do with way better mileage. Base model has enough power for real world and car is pretty rock solid. Did have a rock take out my air conditioning (dealer then put a screen under the grill) and windshields don't take rocks too well, seem to crack easier than they should. All in all, way more fun than a truck or SUV with much lower operating costs. When the 2008s arrive I intend to buy one.

Never Again
By xtrmr on 05/12/07 00:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car after researching it against its competitors and hearing that they were great cars. I owned the car from 6/05-8/06 and put 33k on it. The dealership got to know me on a first name basis over this time. Problem areas that I encountered: keyless entry+chirp replaced, got a nail in one of the tires and had to replace all 4= $700, overheated 2x on a short 500 mi trip - left stranded, exhaust manifold began to rattle - had to be re-welded on, leather wrapped steering wheel came undone after a month, rattling speaker on left side had to be replaced 3 times, inconsistent cruise control+/-15mph but dealership couldn't fix, and trunk release amongst a handful of other problems.

Most bang for buck
By KC on 01/17/07 08:15 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm writing this review because I just finished my 45-mile commute in the snow and it was actually a pleasant ride. The car is stable and comfortable in any situation: high speed, low speed, rain, snow, dirt or mud, etc. It's not perfect: I am seriously upgrading to a Legacy GT Wagon or an A4 Avant, but for $21k, it's the most practical, fun, and reliable car out there. Just don't expect luxury. 40,000 miles in 1.5 years and no problems except for a few rattles, which is something you'll hear a lot with Subarus. I drive 80mph to work in dry weather (all highway), and I get only 21 mpg, so lack of a 6th speed is disappointing.

Great car with a few short comings
By Danimal on 12/17/06 15:10 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my car for almost 3 years now and have done a few modifications. It has a rear sway bar (Subaru), short shifter (Subaru), K&N filter, front strut tower, and Whiteline anti-lift kit. My goal was to keep it in warranty but have fun in the corners. I've gotten rid of the excess body roll but need a little more power (like 15 hp). In the snow and rain it performs like a dream. I would recommend all of my upgrades to anybody that wanted a more sporty feel in handling.

Awesome Car!
By Thomas on 10/28/06 14:33 PM (PDT)

Great car! I had an 02 WRX before picking up the STi. What a difference. Everything about the car is amazing. A must have!

JUST PLAIN FUN!
By RANMAN on 10/20/06 15:30 PM (PDT)

Just traded in my Mustang GT to get my new STi. Spent the better part of the last 4 years scrounging around to get parts that would speed up the Stang. Such a relief to buy a car with everything you need straight out the dealership. Made with quality parts that are made to last. Unlike the Mustang which consists of parts that are made to replace. Must admit, my STi was modified, but I had visited other STi's before I found the one I purchased and was impressed with them all. Could not drive to 7-11 without being "tested" by a Honda tuner in the Stang. SERIOUSLY. Interesting, that imports now drive by me in the STi without even revving their engines. THAT'S what I call RESPECT!

Love this Car!
By Jo on 10/17/06 09:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been wonderful for me! Since the date of purchase I have not had any mechanical or other problems at all. I love driving it around, the car always gets a few looks. This car is not WRX but it still has a lot of punch to it, it's very fun to drive. The only downside is that the mileage is not the greatest, however keep in mind that you are getting excellent AWD performance at all times. On a 60 litre tank of gas, i average about 600km per tank.