Used 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

I love my car!
By KJ

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Subaru for 9 months now and love it just as much as the day I bought it. My decision came down to the Mazda 3 and Impreza, and I definitely made the right choice. This car gets me through North Dakota snow and blizzards with no problem, excellent traction and stopping power on icy, wet and dry roads. Good ground clearance. I wouldn't mind 40 or so extra HP, but it is very capable. Always starts even on the coldest days. MPG averaged 25-30 last summer but is <20 in winter. But, I would expect that with any vehicle.

Favorite Features

My favorite thing about my Impreza is that I can drive for hundreds of miles and never see another car exactly like mine! It is so unique, and even though it is almost a year old, heads still turn as I drive down the road. I purchased the rubber floor mats - a must in the winter - and splash guards.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power ... but really that is not a big issue. I can't think of anything major I would change. Standard heated seats would be nice, but not necessary.

Great Car
By taniame

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 05 Impreza RS Wagon for a week. So far so good. Great car, built in Japan with great quality contro. Fun to drive, very reliable. 165hp is not fast enough for an AWD, but it is good for daily commute I guess.

Favorite Features

AWD as a standard feature. Fun to drive. Nice build quality. 16" rims.

Suggested Improvements

Poor interior design. No 6-speed transmission. Poor MPG, not as good as it says!

May be the perfect car...
By maastrichtian

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect blend of performance, utility, economy, reliability... Performance: 0-60 in ~6 sec (with AWD). Utility: AWD for off-road + rain/snow, >60 cu.ft. cargo capacity, decent ground clearance as opposed to many sports cars, allows you to navigate over bad roads or off road. Economy: I paid ~$22k & get ~25 miles per gallon fuel economy. Reliability: it's a Subaru! Everyone I've ever known who had Subarus still has them. Also nice is the long list of standard features: 6-disc in-dash cd player, side airbags, ABS brakes (saved me from a wreck about 100 miles after buying it -- I would have crashed into stopped highway traffic had I been in my Pathfinder), automatic climate control.

Favorite Features

Engine, subtle engine growl inside cabin, AWD!, sport seats, TIGHT construction, fuel economy, suspension is PERFECT, Hey, I think the new body style looks great too!

Suggested Improvements

1.) No sunroof available on wagon 2.) Rear cargo area doesn't fold exactly flat -- there's a slight angle to allow for the 1-step folding rear seats 3.) Turbo lag below 3000 rpm 4.) Leather seats would be a nice option.

Perfect all around vehicle
By Justin

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did a lot of research before buying my Subaru. I narrowed my choices to a Jeep Liberty, Mazda 3, Toyota Rav4, and the Subaru Impreza. The Impreza won out for a few reasons. I was looking for something that was good in the snow since I live in Minnesota. I was also looking for something that was good on gas, but could also be rugged and haul my camping gear. The Subaru Impreza was the perfect mix of everything I had wanted in a vehicle. It performed extremely well this winter in the snow. The car does better than an SUV for gas, but worse than most small cars. I am getting 23 city, 28hwy. Overall, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Favorite Features

ALL WHEEL DRIVE IN THE SNOW! This car plows through snow with ease. The boxer engine "growl" is awesome. Roof rack adds a ton of versatility. The black woven cloth interior is the best I've seen yet for looks and durability. This car is fun to drive, looks great, and you can still haul lots of stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Stock stereo is kind of weak. Volume controls on the steering wheel would be nice. Deeper bucket seats.

Not perfect, but a great value
By Bob

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2002 WRX wagon. The car is VERY fun to drive - but before purchasing understand the maintenance costs of AWD(blow one tire, you either have toreplace all four or buy a special onewith the same tread). Premium gas isvery expensive nowadays too. But the car is a great value because it's a blast to drive and will tear up the road, but you can fit five people in it if you have to and the cargo room is excellent for acar this size. The car lacks in creature comforts - the seats hold you in very well around corners but is uncomfortable especially if you are a larger person. Cupholders and storage desperately needs improvement. But, I love my car becauseit does it all.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Cargo area is very large and makes the car a great value -you can move house in it if you have to. Backseat has great room for such a small car. Most features you'd want come standard. Drives awesome in winter conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Radio is proprietary and when something goes wrong, the whole thing has to be replaced. Seats hold you in, but makef or very uncomfortable day-to-daydriving. Premium is expensive. Foglight/cruise control buttons hard to reach. Creature comforts (cupholders,storage areas) very lacking.