Used 2005 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great Car
By taniame

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 05 Impreza RS Wagon for a week. So far so good. Great car, built in Japan with great quality contro. Fun to drive, very reliable. 165hp is not fast enough for an AWD, but it is good for daily commute I guess.

Favorite Features

AWD as a standard feature. Fun to drive. Nice build quality. 16" rims.

Suggested Improvements

Poor interior design. No 6-speed transmission. Poor MPG, not as good as it says!

AMAZING
By Lou

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Perfect blend of speed and functionality. Absolutely beautiful car, very hard to improve upon.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive and 300HP. Awesome combo.

Suggested Improvements

The only flaw is the interior color scheme. The gauges light up in amber (awesome color), the A/C and radio controls light up in green, and the turbo boost gauge lights up clear - thats dumb. Should be amber all the way through!

Great Car
By Colorado Rural

2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I commute 60 miles per day and was looking for economy car with a hatchback. I was considering the Toyota Prius, Honda Civic Si Wagon and the Subaru Impreza. I debated the WRX, but the turbo defeated the purpose of gas economy. The 2.5 engine has plenty of power for this little car and it zips along fine. I commute over a mountain pass everyday. I live at 7,000 ft. and used to be white knuckled when driving my old 4x4 truck in the snow. Not the case with the Impreza; handles great in winter weather. After driving it for 7,000 miles, I must say that I have had not one problem with it. Itís reliable, has great power, handles great, feels safe on the road, and was an excellent choice.

Favorite Features

This car handles like a sports car. It has great power and corners better than my old Toyota Supra. Winter handling. The 260-watt stereo has excellent sound. Dimming dome light--a nice feature on an economy car.

Suggested Improvements

A little more sporty look. Wish the car had a winter option with heated mirrors. DC outlets do not work when the engine isnít running. How about factory leather?

May be the perfect car...
By maastrichtian

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect blend of performance, utility, economy, reliability... Performance: 0-60 in ~6 sec (with AWD). Utility: AWD for off-road + rain/snow, >60 cu.ft. cargo capacity, decent ground clearance as opposed to many sports cars, allows you to navigate over bad roads or off road. Economy: I paid ~$22k & get ~25 miles per gallon fuel economy. Reliability: it's a Subaru! Everyone I've ever known who had Subarus still has them. Also nice is the long list of standard features: 6-disc in-dash cd player, side airbags, ABS brakes (saved me from a wreck about 100 miles after buying it -- I would have crashed into stopped highway traffic had I been in my Pathfinder), automatic climate control.

Favorite Features

Engine, subtle engine growl inside cabin, AWD!, sport seats, TIGHT construction, fuel economy, suspension is PERFECT, Hey, I think the new body style looks great too!

Suggested Improvements

1.) No sunroof available on wagon 2.) Rear cargo area doesn't fold exactly flat -- there's a slight angle to allow for the 1-step folding rear seats 3.) Turbo lag below 3000 rpm 4.) Leather seats would be a nice option.

Nice Subby
By XCELLR8

Bought the 2005 STI in May of this year. Since then I have noticed only VERY small limitations to the performance of the this car. If you plan on buying an STI, here is what to expect. YES, turbo lag only until you hit the 3000 RPM area; then its a beast. Understeer on tight corners, and vision out the rear view mirror because of the wild foot tall wing, love it! I have to admit coming from all types of American and German vehicles, this car has what it takes to be a real threat to the more exotic cars available and in some cases half the price and to boot economical at the pump! Another little tidbit...you're going to need to invest in floor mats and the better sounding stereo system!

Favorite Features

En route, everything from the function of the dash to the blind spots on either side of the car are great. As far as comfort goes, Subaru did a great job. I enjoy everything from the car's value for the money to the crazy performance and economical stature when compared to cars with 4 more cylinders.

Suggested Improvements

Just fix the understeer; good luck to all new Subby owners!