Used 2005 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Fun to drive
By Solistide

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is awesome to drive. It is fun, and provides good handling and feel for the road. Not recommended for driving over bumpy roads, unless you want a sore behind. A bit rough, definitely not a luxury car. The interior is cheap; for my car, the seat material was wrinkling up (got it fixed through warranty), drivers visor mirror fell off, stock armrest extension not secured well to the car (quite fragile), and several other issues. This car was definitely meant to be modded (modified).

Favorite Features

Looks good. Handles good. Fun to drive. Loves snowy conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Put the shifter back a bit (within arm's reach), unstiffen the clutch pedal so people don't bust a knee. The interior parts are low quality and some items are hard to access.

Cool car!!!
By Turbo!!!

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I got this car as a present for my 16th birthday! its coool and i love the stereo. I had to take it to the car dealer one time because the ECU wouldn't let me rev the tachometer pass 4000 rpm! it cost me $243 for labor and parts but that's all good plus Subaru refunded my money because that should've been covered by my warranty

Favorite Features

sunroof,stereo system ( has great bass) the automatic transmission, fog lights, ABS, side airbags all that jazz

Suggested Improvements

make the interior more exciting!!! Its boring and also the car kinda sounds like a lown mower!

Outstanding all-around car
By wrx

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fast, reliable, excellent utility. I can haul snowboards to the mountains and take it to a track day and still have a blast. Easily customized. Reprogram the ECU for an easy ~25hp bump. Driveability improves as boost comes on sooner. Short shifter kit also suggested. I only get 22mpg on mixed commute.

Favorite Features

Handling, great power, AWD, cheap price, easy to maintain. Sleeper car. Cops don't notice wagons. Seats are great. Reasonable fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Improve shifter feel, Add sunroof option for wagons, add variable valve timing from legacy to the 2.0L turbo. make an STi version of the wagon. Better stock stereo or a delete option.

Week Old & Totalled
By Skie

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan w/Sport Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I only had the opportunity to drive the vehicle about ten times before the accident. It handled really well and was fun to drive. The seats became pretty uncomfortable for both my wife and me after 45-60 minutes of driving. I would suggest anyone looking at buying an Impreza to take a long test drive before deciding to buy. I have concerns over the safety of the vehicle from rear impact accidents. Both seat backs broke and were in the reclined position after our accident. In fact the seats went back so far that they bent over the rear seat. We were also pushed into the car in front of us at a considerable speed and the airbags did not deploy.

Favorite Features

AWD, ABS, good gas mileage, reasonable price, no turbo lag, good acceleration, good leg and head room.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable and safer front seats. Better sound system. Remote button to open trunk.

Best price to value car out there
By Gwarior

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan w/Premium Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Had the car for 2 months now and I must say that I'm very impressed by most everything about the car. Handling is incredible, the car grips the road like no other (but I do get a greater sense of body roll than in every other car I've owned). It's got a decent powerband for a 2.0L but the car doesn't really show it until you're pushing 3000 RPMs because the turbo takes awhile to spool up due to a cat just inches before the turbo. The car offers a fairly smooth ride despite a stiffer suspension that the average car. The seats hold you in as you're zipping around turns and console navigation is a breeze. I love the car. I've owned quicker AWD turbos, but nothing as reliable or in the budget.

Favorite Features

Turbo AWD, handling, riding comfort, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

2.5L to increase low end torque, stereo is an mandatory option and is horrible quality.