Used 2005 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

My First New Import
By DFMYERS

2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

At this point I couldn't be happier with this little wagon. We also own a 05 Pontiac Vibe which we've owned for about a year so it's neat to be able to compare the two. The Impreza excels over the Vibe in handling and performance but lacks in interior features and room. Both are winners in my book.

Favorite Features

Handling and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Not sold on the door glass without a frame around it. I still think a standard radio antenna has better reception than one in the glass.

M3? why?
By James

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Three months ago, on my way to BMW dealer to trade in my mint '93 Supra Twin Turbo for an M3, I had a kid in some big winged creature badged STi. Yes, it was faster than my stock Supra, and I had the embarrassing pleasure to see the rear badge. I took an early exit ramp to the Subaru dealer, drove the STi, wiped the drool off of my face at the signing table, and bought it. 3 months later, I still drool after I drive it to and back from work. Let's see (comparing M3); 4 doors to 2. All wheel drive to rear wheel drive. (I live where it snows), handles almost as good and wait, $30,000 less? Bottom line: I bought a faster, more fun, more practical car and i didn't have to trade in the Supra.

Favorite Features

Rev up the motor to 6000 RPM and drop the clutch. This is what taking off of a USS Enterprise in an F-14 Tomcat must feel like.

Suggested Improvements

Make the rear wing smaller, or bigger, like the Supra, so i won't have to see it in my rear view mirror.

Happy so far
By theKman

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

In a little under a year of driving this vehicle, I have had zero problems with it. I chose it for its AWD here in New England, even though I work for a Toyota dealer. It appealed to me much more than the AWD Matrix. I expected a little more power from the engine, and assume it's soaked up a bit from the AWD, but I'm glad I chose the 2.5RS over the WRX. I couldn't justify the $5,000+ premium over the 2.5, plus the WRX requires premium gas. The interior is pleasing to the eye, and very comfortable for my 6'3", 230lb. frame. The base factory audio system is extremely lacking in features and sound quality. I appreciate the functionality of the wagon and the folding rear seats.

Favorite Features

Style. AWD. Subaru quality. Interior design. Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Put in a respectable audio system. Make side and curtain airbags available on all trim lines. Manual shift mode on auto trans. Map lights.

Great car, poor lumbar support
By Cy Martin

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you're looking for a fun-to-drive car that's inexpensive, yet fast "out of the box" -- look no further. Yes, an Evo is faster, but you can get a dealership down to $23/24K with research and careful choice of options. Also, I wonder if Mitsu Co. will be around in a decade. For anyone who has a long commute, I would heartily recommend buying lumbar support. Otherwise, after the 1K break-in period, this all-wheel drive turbo fun machine will have you grinning at every driving opportunity. That is, if you can drive a manual transmission. I'm 6 foot with a 32 inch inseam, and have no problem fitting into the driver's seat. The pedals are set for heel-toe driving, so get tapered shoes.

Favorite Features

Blue pearl paint. Short throw shifter. TURBO! 6 disc CD player. Air conditioning. Sunroof. Hood scoop! All wheel drive. Good brakes. Wonderful response through the Momo steering wheel. Can see over the wing when you need to reverse. Manual driver's seat controls. Easy, light clutch.

Suggested Improvements

LUMBAR SUPPORT! One more inch around for the driver's position.

'05 STi review
By BigBSTI

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is awesome! I have a commuter car but I always want to drive my STi. It is so hard to keep the miles down because you will always want to drive it. I've taken it to autocross and drag events and out performed all new cars around the 30k price range. I don't consider myself an awesome driver but behind the wheel of this car you sure feel like it!

Favorite Features

BREMBOS, 2.5 motor produces TONS of torque, interior color and layout is great, awesome suspension; this car has everything.

Suggested Improvements

When you bring this car home make an appointment to install an exhaust system (with high flow cat); this will give you +50 wheel horse power plus the car will be much happier.