Used 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Amazing car! You'll be hooked.
By Nic

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my STi used two years ago, and have loved every minute! I live in NE Wisconsin and enjoy twisty roads in the summer on performance tires, and switch to snow tires in the winter. What an amazing car that does so many things well. The mechanical build quality is superb, steering feedback is great and tracks like the cars on rails, and suspension is taught. WARNING: The suspension is firm, most would call harsh. It's a rally car, buy a Buick if your not hardcore about suspension firmness. The drivetrain is a gem. The 2.5 L turbo and 6 speed manual are perfect matches. Fuel economy is great for a performance car, I average 21 mpg with a lot of highway commuting.

The interior is well executed on a budget to keep the car affordable. The blue alcantara seats w/STi sticking upfront is a nice touch, and a great alternative to leather. The power is awesome! My car is stock except for a short shifter and you'll intimidate anything short of supercars.

The stock shifters throw is a bit long. I drove with it for 9 months and then upgraded to a short throw shifter. What a difference! Throws are crisp, precise, and rifle bolt- action like. In my opinion, Subaru should have just built them that way to start with.

Great all around car
By pun

I live in New England and this car does it all. Bought it brand new with zero miles and now has almost 100k and still going strong. No major troubles. Just your BASIC oil change and filter. 300 hp, how can I complain? Gas mileage is good also for a vehicle with 300 hp. You don't buy the car for the gas mileage it gets, but that's just me. Things that are bad with this car are to be expected. It's a sub 35k car brand new. For the price, it cant be beat in terms of performance, reliability, comfort, and space as a package. You cant expect this car to be your high end 90k price tag amg Mercedes. It's a Subaru...

Hood scoop, wing, intercooler spray, sport seats, and 300 hp at my right foot when I need it.

I guess if I were to nit pick I'd say give 'er more horsepower. ; )

Subaru is awesome
By STI

After weeks and weeks of looking for a car I narrowed to 2 and it was a 05 BMW 545 and a 05 sti and after test driving the bimmer I went to test drive to subie and as soon as I shifted to 2nd my decision was made. This car is so fun to drive, I get a kick watching people in my passenger seats. So quick and tough. Subaru has something going with their vehicles they're all good ones.

Power, torque, 6 spd, turbo, awd, 4drs & the reliability that comes with owning a Subaru.

better stereo sound system, boost and oil gauge pod from factory install

The Beast!!!!!!!
By GUN-IT

What a phenomenal car. It handles like a Porsche and accelerates like one too. It's reliable and you can have four people in it as well. Good size trunk. Fun factor in this car is an absolute 10!!!!!

Brembo brakes, 300 horses, recaro style seats made by STI, 6 speed gearbox.

330 wheel horsepower. Alcantara throughout the vehicle and a nicer BMW style rubberized dashboard would be nice. Other than that, the car is perfect...

STi Performance with RS Style
By Pitt Boxer

I previously owned an Intrepid with roughly the same MPG, but nowhere close to the responsiveness, handling or acceleration of the Japanese Monster. Prior to purchasing the STi I did a little research on the Evo MR. For the price and resale value, you just can't beat the Subie. Granted the Evo has a slight advantage in most categories, the Impreza is much more fun on a daily basis and as a daily drive. IMO if you are looking for a strictly track car get the MR, if you plan on having a life outside of direct competition, you better bet the STi takes the win. Subaru has an awesome track record, unlike most of its Japanese-American counterparts.

All in all it's the handling. Just love this car in the winter, AWD has FWD and RWD spinning the tires in confusion. On the other hand 300HP and Brembo brakes are enjoyable in their own right, haven't had much in the way of favorable driving conditions. For the few days we have had, it was LAFS.

The front hood scoop and rear spoiler could be dropped entirely. I went with the RS hood and trunk lid along with a FMIC to remedy that slight inconvenience. Otherwise all-season tires, and a black on black interior would satisfy most. I just don't care for blue.