Used 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Maybe the best all around car
By Subie4life

2005 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just got back from the dealer for a recall. Yep, after 96,000 miles this is the first time I took it to the dealer. What a great car. I've totally abused this thing (from landscaping materials to my 4-60 lb dogs) and it begs for more. I've only done routine maintenance (tires at 50k, oil every 3k) and it's as strong as ever. It thrives in bad weather (torrential downpours here in Miami and trips to the snow in NC). I get not great, but definitely good gas mileage (21-22 city, 26-27 hwy) and it has plenty of room for just about anything I need. Yes...you should buy one. I expect to keep mine for well over 5 more years and 100k miles.

Favorite Features

Subaru's symmetrical AWD, sporty, decent fuel economy, Safety, accident avoidance, takes abuse and keeps on begging for more

Suggested Improvements

Only wish radio controls on the steering wheel were an option back then. The new ones have them.

Great Car! More fun than newer models!
By Anonymous

2005 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Subaru Impreza sport wagon. It's funny because it was more of a hatchback than a station wagon and it handled amazingly well. I recently totaled it but came out without a scratch! When I test drove the new 2008 Imprezas, they were clunkier, heavier, and didn't take turns as well. I know 3 years isn't long, but I never had a single problem that brought me to the dealer. I'm a huge fan and wish they didn't redesign the imprezas so I could happily buy another one! Great gas mileage, handling, braking, acceleration (for it's price and engine), lots of storage space on the wagonI

Favorite Features

Handling, braking, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Better factory installed speakers, more room to get into the back seat (Lots of my friends hit their heads getting in because of the door curve-- but I didn't care as I was always driving!).

Good value and fun to drive
By Brainy guy

2005 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Base model hatchback hauls a lot more than I expected. Where I work it's all large SUVs and full-size 4WD trucks but I have had no problems with clearance through mud and snow and I stick to the road a lot better (and faster) than they do with way better mileage. Base model has enough power for real world and car is pretty rock solid. Did have a rock take out my air conditioning (dealer then put a screen under the grill) and windshields don't take rocks too well, seem to crack easier than they should. All in all, way more fun than a truck or SUV with much lower operating costs. When the 2008s arrive I intend to buy one.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive on bad roads and bad weather.

Suggested Improvements

Put a key hole in the rear hatch. Improve mileage not power.

Love this Car!
By Jo

2005 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been wonderful for me! Since the date of purchase I have not had any mechanical or other problems at all. I love driving it around, the car always gets a few looks. This car is not WRX but it still has a lot of punch to it, it's very fun to drive. The only downside is that the mileage is not the greatest, however keep in mind that you are getting excellent AWD performance at all times. On a 60 litre tank of gas, i average about 600km per tank.

Favorite Features

Locking gas tank, AWD, fold down rear seats to make a larger wagon, the bucket seats.

Suggested Improvements

Add sunroof to non-WRX models.

2005 2.5 RS wagon
By AB

2005 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know how anyone looking for an economical AWD vehicle doesn't grab this one immediately. I have no problems, although I do believe that at 50,000k I shouldn't have any problems. Fact is a lot of cars do have issues after a few km's. I live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada, and during one of our largest snow storms in recent times, I was out having fun and watching all the people in regular cars, digging pushing and swearing. This car has been rock solid, the one single complaint I have is the paint, it is not terrible, just would think it could be more rugged, but then again, it's my first new car and scuffs show up easier.

Favorite Features

Boxer engine, the AWD makes it an obvious choice in Canada, and the wagon is extremely helpful.

Suggested Improvements

Paint is a little weak, and make the high beams the day time running lights, would look much better.