2005 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Cheap & Fun AWD Car!
By Matt on 02/23/10 17:14 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in September of last year to use as a winter car instead of my Mustang GT. I bought it with 93,000km on it and I now have 104,000km. Obviously, the car is GREAT in the snow. With 4 snow tires, you can pretty much plow your street with your front bumper and still not get stuck. The car is comfortable, but I find the seats somewhat stiff (base RS seats) for longer trips. Fuel mileage is great for this engine and AWD. I've gotten a best of 32 MPG on the highway in the Winter, driving 120 km/hr. I imagine 35 MPG highway is attainable in the Summer. Features are alright. The radio is poor - changing the faceplate helps. Parts are expensive (import). I'd buy another one!

Great kid car
By Dcrespo on 10/22/09 21:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was looking for a car for my 16 year old son - required ABS, Airbags and AWD (we live in CO). This car has enough power to make it thru the mountains and gets 30 mpg. It holds all his hockey gear and it is easy to find tires and parts.

Amazing car!!
By ScoobyRex on 01/22/09 06:53 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 05 with 15000 miles on it. Great performance car, with minor (about $1500) engine upgrades its at est 285hp/285 tq and runs with most cars on the road!! And I can still haul my daughter and a trunk full of groceries without a problem. I get 22-28 mpg AFTER being tuned to almost 300 hp. I have driven on horrendous winter roads with it (and Blizzaks) and it is amazing--more controlled and sure-footed than the 4wd Explorer I owned in the past. My only regret is not buying one as soon as they hit the US shores in 2002!

2005 Subaru Toy.
By Carlos Juan on 11/18/08 08:04 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's a great performance bargain, bought mine used for $13,000 with only 37,000 miles. The car runs flawless 227hp, 24/28mpg and AWD makes this one of the best choices for a good all around car. Don't let the teenager car looks fool you because it can surely put a smile in your face. Excellent in city and highway. Easy to make most sports cars look like an economy car from 0-60 and all on a budget.

Truck replacement
By Bryan1280 on 08/14/08 16:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for a car to replace my truck so I got the Subaru and a utility trailer. The Subaru with AWD is much better than my truck in 4WD in the snow. The Subaru gets 24-27MPH the truck got 17-18. They are equal speed. I can tow up to 1500 pounds including the weight of the trailer which is all that I need for house hold chores and toy (ATV/Dirtbike) hauling. The mechanics of this car are solid. I am not easy on it and nothing has failed me. I even went 80,000 before replacing the brakes and 50,000 before the tires. This car handles so well in the snow that it is not even fun.

Very solid, just a few minor dislikes
By Captain D on 05/20/08 20:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have 83,000 miles on the clock at this time. It's been very solid and reliable. It drives pretty well. I have found over the years that the suspension does not feel as solid and connected to the road as it used to. The interior noise can be bad when you have passengers. Overall it's been a very reliable and solid car.

Next time I'll go Manual
By MTLA on 12/14/07 14:06 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We're getting ready to trade in old Scooby due to punishing fuel consumption and need for more room for older-folks stuff like groceries, boxes of toys, gallon jugs of milk, etc. The car's been utterly reliable; nothing's fallen off; nothing creaks or buzzes, even after 3 1/2 years. The interior's pretty dull to the point of being jail cell-like. The base engine / auto box combination is far from ideal -- pretty sluggish actually, but really, I can't complain. It handles superbly and corners like it's on rails, you run out of courage before the car runs out of grip. It's hardly depreciated, always started, and would make a brilliant student car. Well done.

Never Again
By xtrmr on 05/12/07 00:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car after researching it against its competitors and hearing that they were great cars. I owned the car from 6/05-8/06 and put 33k on it. The dealership got to know me on a first name basis over this time. Problem areas that I encountered: keyless entry+chirp replaced, got a nail in one of the tires and had to replace all 4= $700, overheated 2x on a short 500 mi trip - left stranded, exhaust manifold began to rattle - had to be re-welded on, leather wrapped steering wheel came undone after a month, rattling speaker on left side had to be replaced 3 times, inconsistent cruise control+/-15mph but dealership couldn't fix, and trunk release amongst a handful of other problems.

Great car with a few short comings
By Danimal on 12/17/06 15:10 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my car for almost 3 years now and have done a few modifications. It has a rear sway bar (Subaru), short shifter (Subaru), K&N filter, front strut tower, and Whiteline anti-lift kit. My goal was to keep it in warranty but have fun in the corners. I've gotten rid of the excess body roll but need a little more power (like 15 hp). In the snow and rain it performs like a dream. I would recommend all of my upgrades to anybody that wanted a more sporty feel in handling.

Lots-a-fun
By lvnwntr on 07/10/06 17:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 7th Subaru. All except the '98 RS coupe got to 200k miles. VERY tossable. Now we have 30k on it and only a few mods. Silencer removal, Prodrive 17's with M3's, K&N, front and rear braces. Future mods on order include braided lines, Hawk HPS pads, front & rear skid-plates from Primitive Racing, and full synthetic Redline conversion. Went playing in 12" of unplowed wet snow for 1.5 hours. Took 4 hrs to get the snow off it. Worth the work! Buy it -Have fun.