2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2005 Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Sort Reviews by

Maybe the best all around car
By Subie4life

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just got back from the dealer for a recall. Yep, after 96,000 miles this is the first time I took it to the dealer. What a great car. I've totally abused this thing (from landscaping materials to my 4-60 lb dogs) and it begs for more. I've only done routine maintenance (tires at 50k, oil every 3k) and it's as strong as ever. It thrives in bad weather (torrential downpours here in Miami and trips to the snow in NC). I get not great, but definitely good gas mileage (21-22 city, 26-27 hwy) and it has plenty of room for just about anything I need. Yes...you should buy one. I expect to keep mine for well over 5 more years and 100k miles.

Favorite Features

Subaru's symmetrical AWD, sporty, decent fuel economy, Safety, accident avoidance, takes abuse and keeps on begging for more

Suggested Improvements

Only wish radio controls on the steering wheel were an option back then. The new ones have them.

Great Car! More fun than newer models!
By Anonymous

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Subaru Impreza sport wagon. It's funny because it was more of a hatchback than a station wagon and it handled amazingly well. I recently totaled it but came out without a scratch! When I test drove the new 2008 Imprezas, they were clunkier, heavier, and didn't take turns as well. I know 3 years isn't long, but I never had a single problem that brought me to the dealer. I'm a huge fan and wish they didn't redesign the imprezas so I could happily buy another one! Great gas mileage, handling, braking, acceleration (for it's price and engine), lots of storage space on the wagonI

Favorite Features

Handling, braking, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Better factory installed speakers, more room to get into the back seat (Lots of my friends hit their heads getting in because of the door curve-- but I didn't care as I was always driving!).

Good value and fun to drive
By Brainy guy

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Base model hatchback hauls a lot more than I expected. Where I work it's all large SUVs and full-size 4WD trucks but I have had no problems with clearance through mud and snow and I stick to the road a lot better (and faster) than they do with way better mileage. Base model has enough power for real world and car is pretty rock solid. Did have a rock take out my air conditioning (dealer then put a screen under the grill) and windshields don't take rocks too well, seem to crack easier than they should. All in all, way more fun than a truck or SUV with much lower operating costs. When the 2008s arrive I intend to buy one.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive on bad roads and bad weather.

Suggested Improvements

Put a key hole in the rear hatch. Improve mileage not power.

Love this Car!
By Jo

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been wonderful for me! Since the date of purchase I have not had any mechanical or other problems at all. I love driving it around, the car always gets a few looks. This car is not WRX but it still has a lot of punch to it, it's very fun to drive. The only downside is that the mileage is not the greatest, however keep in mind that you are getting excellent AWD performance at all times. On a 60 litre tank of gas, i average about 600km per tank.

Favorite Features

Locking gas tank, AWD, fold down rear seats to make a larger wagon, the bucket seats.

Suggested Improvements

Add sunroof to non-WRX models.

2005 2.5 RS wagon
By AB

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know how anyone looking for an economical AWD vehicle doesn't grab this one immediately. I have no problems, although I do believe that at 50,000k I shouldn't have any problems. Fact is a lot of cars do have issues after a few km's. I live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada, and during one of our largest snow storms in recent times, I was out having fun and watching all the people in regular cars, digging pushing and swearing. This car has been rock solid, the one single complaint I have is the paint, it is not terrible, just would think it could be more rugged, but then again, it's my first new car and scuffs show up easier.

Favorite Features

Boxer engine, the AWD makes it an obvious choice in Canada, and the wagon is extremely helpful.

Suggested Improvements

Paint is a little weak, and make the high beams the day time running lights, would look much better.

I love my car!
By KJ

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Subaru for 9 months now and love it just as much as the day I bought it. My decision came down to the Mazda 3 and Impreza, and I definitely made the right choice. This car gets me through North Dakota snow and blizzards with no problem, excellent traction and stopping power on icy, wet and dry roads. Good ground clearance. I wouldn't mind 40 or so extra HP, but it is very capable. Always starts even on the coldest days. MPG averaged 25-30 last summer but is <20 in winter. But, I would expect that with any vehicle.

Favorite Features

My favorite thing about my Impreza is that I can drive for hundreds of miles and never see another car exactly like mine! It is so unique, and even though it is almost a year old, heads still turn as I drive down the road. I purchased the rubber floor mats - a must in the winter - and splash guards.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power ... but really that is not a big issue. I can't think of anything major I would change. Standard heated seats would be nice, but not necessary.

Great Car
By taniame

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 05 Impreza RS Wagon for a week. So far so good. Great car, built in Japan with great quality contro. Fun to drive, very reliable. 165hp is not fast enough for an AWD, but it is good for daily commute I guess.

Favorite Features

AWD as a standard feature. Fun to drive. Nice build quality. 16" rims.

Suggested Improvements

Poor interior design. No 6-speed transmission. Poor MPG, not as good as it says!

May be the perfect car...
By maastrichtian

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect blend of performance, utility, economy, reliability... Performance: 0-60 in ~6 sec (with AWD). Utility: AWD for off-road + rain/snow, >60 cu.ft. cargo capacity, decent ground clearance as opposed to many sports cars, allows you to navigate over bad roads or off road. Economy: I paid ~$22k & get ~25 miles per gallon fuel economy. Reliability: it's a Subaru! Everyone I've ever known who had Subarus still has them. Also nice is the long list of standard features: 6-disc in-dash cd player, side airbags, ABS brakes (saved me from a wreck about 100 miles after buying it -- I would have crashed into stopped highway traffic had I been in my Pathfinder), automatic climate control.

Favorite Features

Engine, subtle engine growl inside cabin, AWD!, sport seats, TIGHT construction, fuel economy, suspension is PERFECT, Hey, I think the new body style looks great too!

Suggested Improvements

1.) No sunroof available on wagon 2.) Rear cargo area doesn't fold exactly flat -- there's a slight angle to allow for the 1-step folding rear seats 3.) Turbo lag below 3000 rpm 4.) Leather seats would be a nice option.

Perfect all around vehicle
By Justin

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did a lot of research before buying my Subaru. I narrowed my choices to a Jeep Liberty, Mazda 3, Toyota Rav4, and the Subaru Impreza. The Impreza won out for a few reasons. I was looking for something that was good in the snow since I live in Minnesota. I was also looking for something that was good on gas, but could also be rugged and haul my camping gear. The Subaru Impreza was the perfect mix of everything I had wanted in a vehicle. It performed extremely well this winter in the snow. The car does better than an SUV for gas, but worse than most small cars. I am getting 23 city, 28hwy. Overall, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Favorite Features

ALL WHEEL DRIVE IN THE SNOW! This car plows through snow with ease. The boxer engine "growl" is awesome. Roof rack adds a ton of versatility. The black woven cloth interior is the best I've seen yet for looks and durability. This car is fun to drive, looks great, and you can still haul lots of stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Stock stereo is kind of weak. Volume controls on the steering wheel would be nice. Deeper bucket seats.

Not perfect, but a great value
By Bob

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2002 WRX wagon. The car is VERY fun to drive - but before purchasing understand the maintenance costs of AWD(blow one tire, you either have toreplace all four or buy a special onewith the same tread). Premium gas isvery expensive nowadays too. But the car is a great value because it's a blast to drive and will tear up the road, but you can fit five people in it if you have to and the cargo room is excellent for acar this size. The car lacks in creature comforts - the seats hold you in very well around corners but is uncomfortable especially if you are a larger person. Cupholders and storage desperately needs improvement. But, I love my car becauseit does it all.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Cargo area is very large and makes the car a great value -you can move house in it if you have to. Backseat has great room for such a small car. Most features you'd want come standard. Drives awesome in winter conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Radio is proprietary and when something goes wrong, the whole thing has to be replaced. Seats hold you in, but makef or very uncomfortable day-to-daydriving. Premium is expensive. Foglight/cruise control buttons hard to reach. Creature comforts (cupholders,storage areas) very lacking.