Used 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Handles like no other
By usmm01

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am a loyal fan of Subaru, our old impreza was a 97 outback sport. This is my first purchase of a turbo. We are pleased with the WRX as usual with handling and fuel economy w/ cruise hwy. 29.5 mpg @ 65- 70mph! City 23mpg. I will own nothing but Subaru.

Ultimate cornering machine, style, mpg

Better paint. Center console arm rest is chintzy! More sound proofing in cabin.

Versatile!
By DD

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is meant to be driven hard, and it's loads of fun when driven hard. I wish the turbo would be more readily available, but what's really great about the car is the value for money - AWD, Turbo, Sporty, and a Wagon. It's a great blend of features I was looking for. It's practical, affordable, and a lot of fun to drive as a sporty car. It's my first new car, and it's been rock solid so far. No complaints.

AWD, Turbo, Handling, Practicality (Sport Wagon), Character.

Why isn't leather available on the new models? they could do a better job with the interior (too plasticky).

Most bang for buck
By KC

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm writing this review because I just finished my 45-mile commute in the snow and it was actually a pleasant ride. The car is stable and comfortable in any situation: high speed, low speed, rain, snow, dirt or mud, etc. It's not perfect: I am seriously upgrading to a Legacy GT Wagon or an A4 Avant, but for $21k, it's the most practical, fun, and reliable car out there. Just don't expect luxury. 40,000 miles in 1.5 years and no problems except for a few rattles, which is something you'll hear a lot with Subarus. I drive 80mph to work in dry weather (all highway), and I get only 21 mpg, so lack of a 6th speed is disappointing.

AWD, AWD, and AWD. I love the manual transmission and have had no problems with it. Nice turbocharged engine with good growl. Interior is surprisingly nice with good-looking and supportive cloth seats. Lots of airbags, brakes are great -- even in snow. Cargo space with seats folded. Perfect suspension.

2005 not available with leather or sunroof (both are available now). Subarus are known for being reliable (engine, transmission, etc.), but also with slightly lower build quality than Toyota or Honda, and my car is no exception due to several small rattles. Turbo lag < 2600 rpm. No 6 speed manual.

Swiss Army Knife on 4 wheels
By Aurora

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned it for more than two years and I've got about 42,000 miles on it. I STILL look forward to my commute! I also end up volunteering to drive my friends everywhere. I really can't think of a better car to have purchased. It's done everything from weekend joyrides to moving an impossible loads. The performance and handling have gotten me out of trouble on the road that I might not have otherwise avoided. Reliability has been spotless other than a few glitches with the lock/unlock beeper. Slipping the clutch at 3000RPM produces little lag. Keep the RPMs above 4000 on a twisty road, and you discover the genuine gran-tourismo character of this car.

Triumphant performance, utility, reliability, looks, comfort. It almost seems like whoever designed this car actually intended for it to be used. MPG isn't great, but for 227hp is uncommonly good. I get 28-29 with dedicated highway driving. AWD has pulled me out of deep snow.

RE92s aren't the greatest. Wished they had a sunroof and seat heaters on my year. Interior material quality isn't the best - have to be careful with how you clean it!

This One Does it All!
By Peter

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 8,000 miles with this car, I still get excited to take this car out every time I start the engine. The performance is great and acceleration is addicting, especially knowing that it's a wagon. The standard features are adequate, but the 2006 version has much more, but at the cost of a questionable (borderline ugly) front design. Turbo lag is a real issue; the car is just a notch faster than sluggish below ~3,000 rpms. Unless you're launching at 5,000 rpms, expect a slow start until turbo spools up. You can't get a better car for the price. I would not hesitate to buy this one again.

Awesome performance, decent utility & gas mileage, AWD, widely available performance mods, climate control standard. Car is FUN FUN FUN!

Most are taken care of in the 2006 WRX: leather option, 17" stock rims, heated seats/mirrors, sunroof, better lower end torque, outside air thermometer, better transmission/shorter shifter.