Used 2005 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great Wagon
By stocksj

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've have my Impreza RS Wagon since new in 2005 and it's always been very reliable in all weather. Mileage is good and it always runs. I've used it as a truck hauling my hobby stuff and gardening things. The HVAC does not blow cold AC from the lower vents but it's no differnt than the 2002 WRX wagon I traded in for this. This car's a keeper for life.

Favorite Features

AWD, reliable, sporty, good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo system, improve the AC vents, rattling heat shields on manifold

Amazing car! You'll be hooked.
By Nic

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my STi used two years ago, and have loved every minute! I live in NE Wisconsin and enjoy twisty roads in the summer on performance tires, and switch to snow tires in the winter. What an amazing car that does so many things well. The mechanical build quality is superb, steering feedback is great and tracks like the cars on rails, and suspension is taught. WARNING: The suspension is firm, most would call harsh. It's a rally car, buy a Buick if your not hardcore about suspension firmness. The drivetrain is a gem. The 2.5 L turbo and 6 speed manual are perfect matches. Fuel economy is great for a performance car, I average 21 mpg with a lot of highway commuting.

Favorite Features

The interior is well executed on a budget to keep the car affordable. The blue alcantara seats w/STi sticking upfront is a nice touch, and a great alternative to leather. The power is awesome! My car is stock except for a short shifter and you'll intimidate anything short of supercars.

Suggested Improvements

The stock shifters throw is a bit long. I drove with it for 9 months and then upgraded to a short throw shifter. What a difference! Throws are crisp, precise, and rifle bolt- action like. In my opinion, Subaru should have just built them that way to start with.

Maybe the best all around car
By Subie4life

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just got back from the dealer for a recall. Yep, after 96,000 miles this is the first time I took it to the dealer. What a great car. I've totally abused this thing (from landscaping materials to my 4-60 lb dogs) and it begs for more. I've only done routine maintenance (tires at 50k, oil every 3k) and it's as strong as ever. It thrives in bad weather (torrential downpours here in Miami and trips to the snow in NC). I get not great, but definitely good gas mileage (21-22 city, 26-27 hwy) and it has plenty of room for just about anything I need. Yes...you should buy one. I expect to keep mine for well over 5 more years and 100k miles.

Favorite Features

Subaru's symmetrical AWD, sporty, decent fuel economy, Safety, accident avoidance, takes abuse and keeps on begging for more

Suggested Improvements

Only wish radio controls on the steering wheel were an option back then. The new ones have them.

Cheap & Fun AWD Car!
By Matt

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in September of last year to use as a winter car instead of my Mustang GT. I bought it with 93,000km on it and I now have 104,000km. Obviously, the car is GREAT in the snow. With 4 snow tires, you can pretty much plow your street with your front bumper and still not get stuck. The car is comfortable, but I find the seats somewhat stiff (base RS seats) for longer trips. Fuel mileage is great for this engine and AWD. I've gotten a best of 32 MPG on the highway in the Winter, driving 120 km/hr. I imagine 35 MPG highway is attainable in the Summer. Features are alright. The radio is poor - changing the faceplate helps. Parts are expensive (import). I'd buy another one!

Favorite Features

- AWD for fun in the snow ... Donuts are fun! - Sound of the engine (typical rumbling Subaru Boxer engine) - Fuel mileage

Suggested Improvements

All of these things, in my mind, are minor: - Better radio in base models - A brighter instrument cluster - More powerful rear defroster

Great kid car
By Dcrespo

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was looking for a car for my 16 year old son - required ABS, Airbags and AWD (we live in CO). This car has enough power to make it thru the mountains and gets 30 mpg. It holds all his hockey gear and it is easy to find tires and parts.